Page 173 of 226 FirstFirst ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 5635
    All of El Dorado National Forest is closed. None of the Tahoe Basin is within the forest.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    All of El Dorado National Forest is closed. None of the Tahoe Basin is within the forest.
    Ummm...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210819-095552_CalTopo.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	382849
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

88 should be open. Fire is north of there and moving mostly to the north and west but not south. These were all along 88 a couple hours ago
    Attachment 382682

Attachment 382683

Attachment 382684

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    SICK pics, PD.

Here's a mediocre offering. Low AQI day feels almost like a pow day!

USFS / TTF completed a new jump line off Happy Face. It's pretty fun. Go get it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Ummm...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210819-095552_CalTopo.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	382849
    ummmm how old is that map?
    Name:  fsbdev7_018464.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  32.0 KB

The Eldorado National Forest is located in the central Sierra Nevada. Portions of Alpine, Amador, El Dorado, and Placer counties lie within the Forest Boundary. The forest is bordered on the north by the Tahoe National Forest, on the east by the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit, on the southeast by the Humboldt-Toiyabe, and to the south by the Stanislaus National Forest.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/eldorado/about-forest

These days, if it is in the Tahoe Basin, it is the LTBMU.

Worth 1,000 words

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eldorado NF Closure map.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	541.8 KB 
ID:	382859

Hope they get a handle on Caldor in the next few days. No bueno.
    sproing!

also, ^ is the map of the 'Forest Wide' closure. It is also the map of the El Dorado Forest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239832143_2328782913922790_3252446322150863294_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	734.8 KB 
ID:	382860  

ummmm how old is that map?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/eldorado/about-forest

These days, if it is in the Tahoe Basin, it is the LTBMU.
    Huh. The one I posted is the 2016 USFS layer from caltopo. So is the LTBMU a whole separate forest? I thought it was some sort of management layer on top of Eldorado and Toiyabe.

In any case, the map of the closure is definitive.

Ami I interpreting this correctly - a short day hike along the PCT from Carson Pass is not possible?

PCT south of carson pass has been closed for weeks due to tamarak fire.

Now ANY trailhead west of carson pass is closed. You could enter via red lake or blue lakes, but not cross into el dorado forest once on the trail.

PCT north of blue lakes road is also closed https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tr...tional-forest/

I think there are also closures in the desolation wilderness/SW shore that are not technically part of El Dorado Forest.

OK, forget air quality settings. What do I set a map to to figure out if I’m in El Dorado!?!

Huh. The one I posted is the 2016 USFS layer from caltopo. So is the LTBMU a whole separate forest? I thought it was some sort of management layer on top of Eldorado and Toiyabe.

Those topos are notorious for slow updates. Use them as topos. Use them for roads and area designations at your own risk.

LTBMU includes parts of several National Forests, including Eldo. I suppose there's some question as to whether the Eldo closure applies to that entire NF, or just the majority of it that isn't managed by LTBMU.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    LTBMU includes parts of several National Forests, including Eldo.
    LTBMU is its own forest, just like the others. It was formed later than the others, so absorbed some of the neighboring forests. Old maps and a poor choice of names ("Management Unit") make it confusing.

Well, you see... You have to engage the filtering layer from only post-1996 sensors and then you put that into conversion via RR with this handy device here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    PCT south of carson pass has been closed for weeks due to tamarak fire.

Now ANY trailhead west of carson pass is closed. You could enter via red lake or blue lakes, but not cross into el dorado forest once on the trail.
    PCT south of Carson Pass has been open for weeks after it's closure
    south of Carson had reopened and now has reclosed. There is no reason you couldn't hike north from Blue Lakes Road as long as you're not continuing to Carson Pass.

Everything north of Luther and west of the Stevens - Red lake Peak ridgeline is closed
    https://www.pcta.org/wp-content/uplo...-Exhibit-B.pdf

As far as I can tell all of Desolation is closed. There are no closures on the West Shore, other than roads leaving the west shore heading into or across the sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Well, you see... You have to engage the filtering layer from only post-1996 sensors and then you put that into conversion via RR with this handy device here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    Nice.

And now all the forests are closed starting 8/22 for two weeks.
    https://yubanet.com/regional/usda-fo...g-eldorado-nf/

Fuck them. It is not the recreating public that is starting these fires. The closures do nothing to eliminate risk.

Damn, that escalated quickly. Luckily there are tons of great trails here in NV. I'm heading to the Bay this weekend because the smoke is coming back tomorrow.

FWIW, some fires do get started by idiots recreating, though they are campers not hikers/mtbers. I think the FS is also trying to save their personnel from having to patrol or respond to other random shit, thus making them available for fire related stuff.

Damn, that escalated quickly. Luckily there are tons of great trails here in NV. I'm heading to the Bay this weekend because the smoke is coming back tomorrow.

FWIW, some fires do get started by idiots recreating, though they are campers not hikers/mtbers. I think the FS is also trying to save their personnel from having to patrol or respond to other random shit, thus making them available for fire related stuff.
    There are, but many of those fall within the the LTBMU, and still will be closed.

There are no fires in the LTBMU for them to respond to, and there is no dispersed camping. There is zero reason for the closure, which I assume will also include Pope, Baldwin, Kiva and Nevada Beaches as well as Fallen Leaf Lake Campground and Nevada Beach Campground.

Fortunately she left out Humboldt-Toiyabe, which is Hope Valley and Blue Lakes Road (plus much more duh)

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

It seems like a broad brush stroke. partially in anticipation of the holiday weekend.

River Fire supposedly started at a campground.

In speaking with a couple of rec managers for USFS over the past few years, evacuations of forest users in case of fire is a sketchy high risk shit show.

Land managers in the Tahoe basin are really fearful of a large and fast moving wildfire in the basin on a holiday weekend.

Supposedly, an mtb rider started a fire on the east side (lower rock creek) from a pedal strike.

Hunter started the Rim Fire

Labor Day is 2 weeks away.

Lots of precedence for regular people origins of big fires. Smokers, people who like campfires, gun shooters, toilet paper burners, bandit campers, cars with hot exhaust units against dry grass... Just because you and I are careful doesn't mean that everybody is. That the risk of new fires would decrease with fewer recreationists crawling around everywhere is a no-brainer. Personally, I'm with you that they should be judicious about the restrictions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Supposedly, an mtb rider started a fire on the east side (lower rock creek) from a pedal strike.
    Okay, I wouldn't have guessed that one.