Page 89 of 226 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 5635
    The resort (no skins) side step/traverse trail breaking thing in deep snow is WAY easier on tele skis than alpine. Just be sure to let that tele skier have the chance to catch their breathe and get first tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I've had this same experience going from the 89 pullout to Silver Peak (it's about 5-6 miles). I mean, they were smart, where else was I going to go?
    Pooping in the skin track.

Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post

Duh.
    Where else was he going to go?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

dpr at the lake is busier than the 4th. Besides the ski traffic there are people going 5 mph looking for a place to park. 6 or 8 cars crammed into the No Parking cleared area around the sewage pump station. There is no other "public parking".

Christ, even more of a cluster than I could've imagined! Anybody here out in that mess today?

https://www.reddit.com/r/tahoe/comme...today_wrapping

Saw one person today on Lap 1. Lap 2 we saw 3. #serenity_exists

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Christ, even more of a cluster than I could've imagined! Anybody here out in that mess today?

https://www.reddit.com/r/tahoe/comme...today_wrapping
    Hmm, looks like the gondola upload at Whistler on any weekend....

I pick my son up from ski team 10 minutes early today around 1:50 PM so we could jet home to our place in Truckee as fast as possible. This is due to the fact the traffic leaving Squaw Valley yesterday was insane around 4 PM. It took me over an hour to go from Squaw Valley parking lot to Truckee. So, today, I pick him up and we pass the fire station on Squaw Valley Road and there is one person checking cars one by one with a sign that reads parking lot full behind him. This simple check created a massive backup on 89 south. Check it, this is 1 min, 30 seconds:

Last edited by janky; 01-30-2021 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Hmm, looks like the gondola upload at Whistler on any weekend....
    Yeah but you have decent healthcare, so...

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Saw one person today on Lap 1. Lap 2 we saw 3. #serenity_exists
    Haha ya man f covid lines are insane
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4211.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	360551

Trailhead parking was full - saw 5 ppl today. It’s a good life boys

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post

Duh.
    That’s a pro move right there. Next time.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I've had this same experience going from the 89 pullout to Silver Peak (it's about 5-6 miles). I mean, they were smart, where else was I going to go?
    Patient bastards to wait behind you breaking trail for 5-6 miles.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Haha ya man f covid lines are insane

Name:	IMG_4211.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	360551

Trailhead parking was full - saw 5 ppl today. It’s a good life boys
    A few pics from Saturday's tour. It was a weird day where the backcountry was uncrowded while the trailheads were as busy as I've ever seen them. I thought it would be my last tour before our next storm but instead I'll be getting up in about 4 hours to go wander around somewhere.

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	360556

Name:	IMG_6688.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	360557

Name:	IMG_6673.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	392.1 KB 
ID:	360558

Name:	IMG_6665.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	360559

Fun fact. The pics were from today. But the caption above is from 1/30/2017, when I toured with the same people and apparently it was also a full moon and a Saturday
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Name:	IMG_0480.jpeg 
Views:	158 
Size:	550.2 KB 
ID:	360555
    The Way Is Shut!
    395, south end of Walker

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post

It was a junkshow of epic proportions today. I expected 1.5hr from Truckee > Alpine. That prediction seems naive now as it took ~3.5 with the backup starting around the Donner Lake Rd exit on 80. Cleared up at the light at Squaw. They did have a guy turning people around at the Deer Park lot unless you were a resident. Recency bias for sure but I can't ever recall a backup on 89 like that without a major accident/closed roads/avalanche/etc.

My main objective for the day was shoveling the house so wasn't in a rush to ski. That being said the last hour of skiing w the 4 year old was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post

Name:	IMG_0480.jpeg 
Views:	158 
Size:	550.2 KB 
ID:	360555
    The Way Is Shut!
    395, south end of Walker
    just that way though
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

saw the S@T shitshow - lot was full at 0800

also a bad wreck on Echo Summit

great skiing at Powderhouse - parking crowded - lots of peeps in the woods
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    just that way though
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by BiggC View Post
    Be careful out there everyone. I know there's some debate about the "Extreme" danger rating, but I was involved in an inbounds slide at KW today.

My partner dropped a short untracked shot below Cave Rock and the slope gave out under her. It was a small slide that didn't go too far, but she still ended up buried up to her neck. I was able to dig her out in a few minutes and everything was fine. But it was terrifying to watch and I can imagine it could have been worse.

Attachment 360419
    I witnessed another inbounds slide at KW today, a snowboarder triggered it while charging down Boylermaker.

Ski patrol's recommendation is to wear a beacon and carry gear after a big storm cycle. I have my AST 2 () cert, and I know most people here have experience and training as well, but I doubt that's true for most people at the resort, even on the steeper lines.

I don't want to "Karen" it up, but unless skiing with gear inbounds is an official recommendation, if there's a risk of pockets sliding like I saw, then maybe terrain opening should be more conservative. Even if it means pissing people off.

Or maybe this is a freak occurrence, and I shouldn't worry too much.

Either way I'm keeping a closer eye on conditions and terrain choice at the resort, it can't hurt.

Edit: the snowboarder was fine. They ended up on top of the debris after taking a ride
    Last edited by BiggC; 01-30-2021 at 09:49 PM.

^^^^^^ yeah.....uhhhhhh......NO

Are you a resident of Alpine? What time were you leaving Truckee to try to get to Alpine?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    It was a junkshow of epic proportions today. I expected 1.5hr from Truckee > Alpine. That prediction seems naive now as it took ~3.5 with the backup starting around the Donner Lake Rd exit on 80. Cleared up at the light at Squaw. They did have a guy turning people around at the Deer Park lot unless you were a resident. Recency bias for sure but I can't ever recall a backup on 89 like that without a major accident/closed roads/avalanche/etc.

My main objective for the day was shoveling the house so wasn't in a rush to ski. That being said the last hour of skiing w the 4 year old was fun.

Slightly different topic: Anyone here have a son or daughter competing in Far West U14 ski racing? Sugar Bowl is having a race next weekend and we're really glad the race is actually happening. Now the fun part: they aren't allowing any parents to walk to the race venue. They've allowed parents in the past but not this year (no clue why). So they say everyone has to have a lift ticket. And usually in the past, the host resort offers really discounted tickets. Like usually it's $70 or $80 for one adult ticket and you can ski to the race course and watch and then ski/ride the rest of the day. This year they are forcing everyone to buy a full price ticket for $125. There are two days of races. If both parents want to watch their son or daughter over 2 days that will cost $500. W T F. In a year like this one? Really? Is Sugar Bowl trying to make up their losses by hitting the ski team parents extra hard?

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    saw the S@T shitshow - lot was full at 0800

also a bad wreck on Echo Summit

great skiing at Powderhouse - parking crowded - lots of peeps in the woods
    I was over on Waterhouse, honestly surprised that it wasn't too busy at a 9 am start. By the second lap there were quite a few people around, but everyone was friendly. There was a dude who was getting hot on the skin up apparently because he didn't have a shirt on, that was kinda funny to see.

Also, there were a couple people who skated/pushed all the way from the grass lake meadow to the road. Without putting their skins on. It was honestly pretty impressive.
    Last edited by HJ5; 01-30-2021 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Better wording.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggC View Post
    I witnessed another inbounds slide at KW today, a snowboarder triggered it while charging down Boylermaker.

Ski patrol's recommendation is to wear a beacon and carry gear after a big storm cycle. I have my AST 2 () cert, and I know most people here have experience and training as well, but I doubt that's true for most people at the resort, even on the steeper lines.

I don't want to "Karen" it up, but unless skiing with gear inbounds is an official recommendation, if there's a risk of pockets sliding like I saw, then maybe terrain opening should be more conservative. Even if it means pissing people off.

Or maybe this is a freak occurrence, and I shouldn't worry too much.

Either way I'm keeping a closer eye on conditions and terrain choice at the resort, it can't hurt.

Edit: the snowboarder was fine. They ended up on top of the debris after taking a ride
    I'd say they already are pretty conservative. It's never been a thing at Tahoe but certainly other resorts have terrain that is only open if you have gear and a partner.

Dropping HUGE cliffs today. Some major progression going on in the bc...

On a serious note, those two avalanches at Broken Glass and in the rose area are more than slightly unsettling. Broken glass slide looks pretty significant but there are no details besides a picture. I have absolutely no idea where the other avy happened, obs just says "Mount rose wilderness" and drops the pin at the peak of mount rose. Great. To make matters worse, it sounds like the avy broke on that persistent slab problem that is hanging around. Remotely triggered, slid on a 40 degree slope and ran 1,300 vertical feet and was 200 ft wide. Obs is unclear if splitboarders were downslope of the avalanche/in its path or above it. Either way, the four boarders who were there got fucking lucky. I hope SAC writes up a report at least for the second incident I described, hopefully both. Need way more detail to hash out what happened.
    http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org...ose-wilderness
    Attached Images Attached Images