Page 202 of 226 FirstFirst ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,050 of 5635
    Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Placer will never let go of it's cash cow of NT/Truckee.
    All areas from Auburn west should go to Sac County. Leave the rest as Placer County and move the headquarters to Truckee or NT.

A couple of tidbits from the mainly worthless Truckee zoom meeting about PSO's (public safety power outages).

There will be community resource centers at the airport, the old corporation yard (wherever that is), and somewhere in TD but they don't know where. People will be able to charge devices there. (Yeah right, every one in town trying to charge every day at 3 locations). You will be able to get information there. These will not be shelters. There might be water. TDPUD is still working on having enough generator capacity to pump water. The sanitary district wasn't represented--but at least at Donner Lake sewage has to be pumped out. When we get a power outage the lift station generators kick in. How long can they pump?

Cell service will probably be available but overwhelmed, and no alternative way to get 911 service. There will be no way to warn people if there is an approaching wildfire and they need to evacuate. Truckee doesn't have an emergency alert system that some other places have--that uses a different system than cell service to push warnings to all cell phones in the area.. (When we were in Plumas County for a wedding we got lots of alerts re the Dixie Fire). I guess it's up to the cops to drive around warning people.

There is one gas station with a generator. They didn't say where. Good luck getting gas there.

There was a presentation about a power-less -pantry, from a representative of the natural foods place in Nevada City. All vegan stuff. I think I'll stick to the usual canned food.

I have a solar charger, assuming there's any cell service.

Power was out at Donner Lake for 7 hours the other night. Dead calm night but a tree hit a line and it arced. I guess we were lucky no fire.

Seems to be a bit of confusion as to what is and isn't Placer or Nevada County.

Last time I checked, Truckee is in Nevada County...

Here's a list of Placer Communities:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plac...ty,_California
    Last edited by dookey67; 09-09-2021 at 06:01 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A couple of tidbits from the mainly worthless Truckee zoom meeting about PSO's (public safety power outages).

There will be community resource centers at the airport, the old corporation yard (wherever that is), and somewhere in TD but they don't know where. People will be able to charge devices there. (Yeah right, every one in town trying to charge every day at 3 locations). You will be able to get information there. These will not be shelters. There might be water. TDPUD is still working on having enough generator capacity to pump water. The sanitary district wasn't represented--but at least at Donner Lake sewage has to be pumped out. When we get a power outage the lift station generators kick in. How long can they pump?

Cell service will probably be available but overwhelmed, and no alternative way to get 911 service. There will be no way to warn people if there is an approaching wildfire and they need to evacuate. Truckee doesn't have an emergency alert system that some other places have--that uses a different system than cell service to push warnings to all cell phones in the area.. (When we were in Plumas County for a wedding we got lots of alerts re the Dixie Fire). I guess it's up to the cops to drive around warning people.

There is one gas station with a generator. They didn't say where. Good luck getting gas there.

There was a presentation about a power-less -pantry, from a representative of the natural foods place in Nevada City. All vegan stuff. I think I'll stick to the usual canned food.

Power was out at Donner Lake for 7 hours the other night. Dead calm night but a tree hit a line and it arced. I guess we were lucky no fire.
    Damn. I assume you guys will just go to Sac if that happens? We had a power outage the other night (transformer) and the new battery backup kicked in like a charm. Only issue was since it was unexpected we had the system set to dump power to the grid so we only had a couple KWs to use.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Seems to be a bit of confusion as to what is and isn't Placer or Nevada County.

Last time I checked, Truckee is in Nevada County...

Here's a list of Placer Communities:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plac...ty,_California
    Maybe he means call the new county Placer, since the original Placer would be gone. However, since Placer refers to gold mining, which was primarily (exclusively?) west of the crest I would call the new eastern county Nevada, since it borders the state of Nevada. NLT isn't incorporated so it couldnt be the county seat--either SLT or Truckee would have to be. When pigs fly.

It’d be fun to make a new county of the greater tahoe high country. Call it Jefferson County.

I often get wea notices. It depends on your phone and service provider, but you will not received these notices of you do not have cell service. It’s the main reason that we have a copper landline.

Fwiw, this occurred during a small fire a year or two ago in the east bay. There was a PSPS, a fire occurred at night in the moraga area, evacuation notices were sent and mostly not received because of the power outages, many did not evacuate, and, luckily, firefighters quickly dealt with the fire.

Maybe he means call the new county Placer, since the original Placer would be gone. However, since Placer refers to gold mining, which was primarily (exclusively?) west of the crest I would call the new eastern county Nevada, since it borders the state of Nevada. NLT isn't incorporated so it couldnt be the county seat--either SLT or Truckee would have to be. When pigs fly.
    Ummm, no thanks to your Jefferson County from this SLT resident. Maybe a different name unless you're in line with the Jefferson statehooders. Fuck those right wing nut jobs.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Ummm, no thanks to your Jefferson County from this SLT resident. Maybe a different name unless you're in line with the Jefferson statehooders. Fuck those right wing nut jobs.
    I'm no State of Jefferson fan. I'd call the new county Bernie County. But the rule is we have to wait until he's dead. So maybe Che County as a placeholder.
    BTW "right wing" implies a political position. Not wanting anyone to tell you what to do is not a political position. It's something they were supposed to fix in preschool, or at least kindergarten but I guess now they're too busy teaching little kids to code to bother with sharing and following rules.

How about Burnt County, Burny County, or Charred County.

If been told that the questioning in El Dorado County jury selection is when one learns how truly racists and shitty their South Lake Tahoe neighbors are as they try to get out of serving.

Kids these days

Is what every old person has ever said. ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Fuck daylight savings time while we are at it.
    What? Why would you want it to be totally dark before 7 PM when we've still gotta couple weeks of Summer left?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Who doesn’t want more light in the evening hours? I say standard time can suck it!
    Don't forget, after we go to Daylight Savings in late winter, when we get late season storms, the snow stays good for an extra hour!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    What? Why would you want it to be totally dark before 7 PM when we've still gotta couple weeks of Summer left?

Don't forget, after we go to Daylight Savings in late winter, when we get late season storms, the snow stays good for an extra hour!
    Plus Happy Hours will all be 2 hours.

Lots of lightning seen from Auburn… ☹️

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Lots of lightning seen from Auburn…

Yeah. Would say it doesn't look good. Maybe fire is a thing we need to learn to live with, like snow.

https://twitter.com/weather_west/sta...807484931?s=21
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

One thing I keep thinking of is why don’t we have permanent dozer lines to segment off sections of the state? Take a town like Paradise, Susanville, Auburn, etc. why not have a 100 or 200 yard zone cleared? Sure there will be the occasional firestorm with 80 mph winds that will still cross it, but wouldn’t that go a long ways towards protecting these towns? Maybe you border the outer edge of (almost) all national forest and state forest land with a 1/4 mile clear section? I’m no expert but it seems like common sense and then with those buffers it becomes easier and less risky to let fires burn. It gives firefighters predetermined areas of when and where they are going to pick a battle.

no thank you. healthy forest is enough of a buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Zeke at 44:28

One thing I keep thinking of is why don’t we have permanent dozer lines to segment off sections of the state? Take a town like Paradise, Susanville, Auburn, etc. why not have a 100 or 200 yard zone cleared? Sure there will be the occasional firestorm with 80 mph winds that will still cross it, but wouldn’t that go a long ways towards protecting these towns? Maybe you border the outer edge of (almost) all national forest and state forest land with a 1/4 mile clear section? I’m no expert but it seems like common sense and then with those buffers it becomes easier and less risky to let fires burn. It gives firefighters predetermined areas of when and where they are going to pick a battle.

Because we're too spread out because we're all a bunch of cranky sobs who can't stand each other. We could live in the equivalent of pueblos surrounded by a fire buffer zone but then we'd kill each other. People used to live in ways that gave them protection from natural forces--if you had flooding your house was on stilts, if you food source went away with the seasons you made houses you could move. Now we live in defiance of natural forces--we build in flood plains and on faults and in the middle of a woodpile and are shocked when it doesn't work out. We've convinced ourselves we can conquer anything, protect ourselves from anything. We're wrong. Besides, who would want to live in a downstairs apartment below powdork? (That'a joke--I'm sure he'd make a lovely neighbor.)

Heard the first peal of thunder at 1120, 20 minutes later than what NWS was predicting this morning. Why can't they ever get anything right?

Ive worked on the planning side of establishing fuelbreaks and thinning projects, and there’s been success stories where pre-established fuelbreaks were known to be the primary reason for saving communities. My general observation is that there seems to be challenges in maintenance and funding for maintenance. I’ve seen it as a problem multiple times throughout California.

Besides, who would want to live in a downstairs apartment below powdork? (That'a joke--I'm sure he'd make a lovely neighbor.)

Heard the first peal of thunder at 1120, 20 minutes later than what NWS was predicting this morning. Why can't they ever get anything right?
    I am a wonderful neighbor. for instance, if you're in my hood, there will be no ladder fuels as I find the extendable pruner to be excellent and fulfilling exercise.

And the thunder is non-stop currently. It IS raining a little

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Ive worked on the planning side of establishing fuelbreaks and thinning projects, and there’s been success stories where pre-established fuelbreaks were known to be the primary reason for saving communities. My general observation is that there seems to be challenges in maintenance and funding for maintenance. I’ve seen it as a problem multiple times throughout California.
    It just depends. A 600' wide fuel break does nothing in driving winds if the winds are going the wrong way. Even yesterday (Wednesday) there was a quarter mile spot fire with meager winds. If the spot fires were blowing into South Lake Tahoe we would have been fucked. For example when I asked the guy I lease from if he would like me to cut the fences off the house his reply was (and it's true, cause I do live in a part of town where homes are old and closely spaced) "it doesn't matter all the houses on the block are connected by fences and all the houses are tinderboxes if one goes they all go". Just like Santa Rosa where the houses were all gone and most of the trees are standing. That's what would have happened here.

and there is a steady rain now, which is nice.

It’s not just one thing. Defensible space and fire resistant structures go hand-in-hand, but fuelbreaks also serve an important purpose.

What I have seen to try to address the issue that you mention with your neighborhood is for the defensible space and fuelbreak to surround the entire development. It’s treated as a single unit. Of course, it will depend on the nature of the fire and doesn’t always work out with embers flying and heat.

If you go to San Diego, there is a defensible space and thinned fuel along the canyon tops and canyon walls adjacent to the private property subdivisions. If the zones are actually maintained, there’s is a width of zone that is cleared to mineral soil from the edge of private property at the top of the canyons. That defense zone is intended to be wide enough to allow for trucks, dozers, etc. The zones further away from the private properties and down into the canyon have different densities of fuel depending on their distance from top of canyon.

In a lot of CA, the ember problem gets worst when the deciduous trees are near the point of dropping their leaves. This happened in Paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Gotta say, CBS is the leader in streaming sports events but that thing was so buggy and commercial filled and then buggy again it became too difficult to watch.