Page 71 of 146 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3648
  1. #1751
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    185

  2. #1752
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Donner Summit
    Posts
    908
    In case you're thinking Castle Peak isn't crowded enough - let's add skimo racers and runners with microspikes: https://www.tahoemountainsports.com/...hill-challenge

  3. #1753
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    16,629
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    In case you're thinking Castle Peak isn't crowded enough - let's add skimo racers and runners with microspikes: https://www.tahoemountainsports.com/...hill-challenge
    That should be interesting this weekend with a little dust on crust. I suspect most people will wait and do it later. The off piste at Alpine was icy enough today to close anything steep. (The Face was closed and they were roping some snowboarder down it, prior to relieving him of his pass.) The far side of Wolvy looked like it might have started softening in the afternoon--by which I mean I saw 2 guys over there but don't know if they survived. The groomers were fun.

  4. #1754
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    57
    I've often wondered what percentage of people who park at the sno-park actually make it to the summit of castle.

    One of my favorite all time junk show memories is seeing a snowboarder be turned off by the ticket price of boreal decide he is going to take up backcountry and start booting up the road. He almost made it up to the green gate (300 yards) before quitting.

    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    In case you're thinking Castle Peak isn't crowded enough - let's add skimo racers and runners with microspikes: https://www.tahoemountainsports.com/...hill-challenge

  5. #1755
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    13,924
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That should be interesting this weekend with a little dust on crust. I suspect most people will wait and do it later.
    Not if it's any sort of race. You'd want dust on crust.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  6. #1756
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,820

    THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

    If you want it to snow, put on a race.

    With any luck, the fastest times will be posted this weekend because after that, any ascent involves too much trailbreaking!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  7. #1757
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    99
    Cedarville Ski Area. Alturas, family wants me to visit. The Warner Mtns. quite nice, done amazing backpacking them hills. How's the Mom 'n Pop ski Hill?

  8. #1758
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Westmeister View Post
    Cedarville Ski Area. Alturas, family wants me to visit. The Warner Mtns. quite nice, done amazing backpacking them hills. How's the Mom 'n Pop ski Hill?
    Looked cool from the road in the summer. Looks like it's still low tide.
    Cedar Pass Snow Park has a FB page.
    Warner Canyon Ski Area in Lakeview, OR has the goods for a small hill.
    Maybe the next storm cycle?

  9. #1759
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    13,924
    ^thanks love me some small areas like that.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  10. #1760
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    14,356
    me too
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  11. #1761
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    16,629
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    If you want it to snow, put on a race.

    With any luck, the fastest times will be posted this weekend because after that, any ascent involves too much trailbreaking!
    Every time they try to schedule a stage of the Tour of California near Tahoe in May it snows. I think they've given up. I watched a SUP race in June in a pretty good snow storm on Donner Lake.

  12. #1762
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,847

  13. #1763
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    57
    Thanks for sharing. It's a really well done example of why being dialed for rescue is important.

    Not sure if there are any mags in the video or editing team but it would be really interesting to hear why they chose not to include the second avalanche problem of the day, exactly what slid on them, in the post incident breakdown/analysis.

    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

  14. #1764
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,847

  15. #1765
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Donner Summit
    Posts
    908

  16. #1766
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    13,924
    I remember this cycle. The north side of castle also had numerous slides midslope same day
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...00/castle-peak
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  17. #1767
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    3,301
    I just jumped on the radio program this year......it’s been so much better and safer I don’t know why it took me so long to start using them. In complex terrain it’s a serious game changer.

  18. #1768
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I just jumped on the radio program this year......it’s been so much better and safer I don’t know why it took me so long to start using them. In complex terrain it’s a serious game changer.
    Did you go with the BCA setup or something else? I got some $25 cheapo set that came with 2 each of radios, earpieces, remote mikes, and chargers and it does just fine for the size of terrain around here. Definitely really nice not to yell without understanding each other and instead just calmly speak into the radio.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  19. #1769
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Did you go with the BCA setup or something else? I got some $25 cheapo set that came with 2 each of radios, earpieces, remote mikes, and chargers and it does just fine for the size of terrain around here. Definitely really nice not to yell without understanding each other and instead just calmly speak into the radio.
    If you are a climber, try it out on multi-pitches also. Makes everything so much better, especially on windy days.

  20. #1770
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    1,329
    I've been using the Baofeng radios for moto riding for years. They would def be good for skiing and climbing as well.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

  21. #1771
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    3,301
    Yeah I use the bca link 2.0....... the baofeng are cheaper and of good quality but not nearly as user friendly (idiot proof) As the bca radios.

  22. #1772
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    16,629
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    If you are a climber, try it out on multi-pitches also. Makes everything so much better, especially on windy days.
    I don't climb any more, but it's always amusing to hike by a complex climb and listen to climbers who obviously can't hear or understand each other try to communicate. If I'm feeling friendly I may try to help out.

  23. #1773
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,621
    And the Tahoe weather waffle game is on. Crazy differences in precip going back and forth with each model update. At least we know it's going to be cold next week.

    On a random follow-up note, earlier in the thread we discussed Technical Equipment Cleaners in Truckee. Just wanted to give a shout out - my once pretty gross yellow ski pants stained with dirt and lift grease look almost brand new. I'm amazed how clean they got them. Exceeded expectations.

  24. #1774
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    13,924
    I haven't seen that. It's been a consistent 2-4" (up to 6" on the crest) tonight, 6-12" sunday and a big storm wed-thurs, which is still more than 5 days out..
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  25. #1775
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,621
    Depends which one you're looking at, I guess. Mostly referring to Monday - Thursday. And some are backing off on tonight quite a bit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •