Page 6 of 226 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I wonder what the Ro is on the viral spread when someone talks up a secret/semi-secret stash. Super spreader event when pics are provided.

Great picks but ..... my hip fractured just looking at some of those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The STR's are a potent spreading site and I don't understand why they are still allowed to operate. Shutting them down wouldn't be costing a lot of jobs--most of the people aren't patronizing local businesses as best as I can tell.

My girlfriend owns & runs a vacation rental biz. Nice to know you're in favor of shutting her down because you've delusionally concluded that renting from a local rental company isn't "patronizing local businesses".
    That'll be real comforting when she can't pay her mortgage.

When stuff opened back up, she instituted a 1 day buffer so there are no back to back STR where one group checks out in the AM and a new group comes in that afternoon. I personally know others who've adopted similar policies. Your personal bias & one size fits all view of the STR situation based on your neighbors is a poor way to gauge the entirety of the STR market.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The STR next door has been continuously rented a week at a time since last winter's ski lease ended. There's people there now--sitting indoors and not driving anywhere. A lot of the groups have been like that--families I assume getting together in a big house (claims to accommodate 14 and some of the groups have been bigger in 4 bedrooms).
    Almost everyone has been from CA or NV, not unusually prosperous judging by the cars, just folks eager to share the virus and take it back home. Nobody is even cleaning between some of the groups.
    The STR's are a potent spreading site and I don't understand why they are still allowed to operate. Shutting them down wouldn't be costing a lot of jobs--most of the people aren't patronizing local businesses as best as I can tell.

Some of recent real estate sales have certainly been to WFH people but some are to out -of- towners, out-of-staters, who buy them as permanent vacation rentals. Talked to someone from a nearby neighborhood whose 80 year old next door neighbor died and his heirs sold the place to a NYer who has never laid eyes on the place. She's had to endure things like big weddings and the like.
    Saw this car, then what looked like "The Man" hopped out. STR compliance officer for Placer. Nice guy, seems to take this seriously, gave me his card and told me "to be that guy" about STRs, his opinion was just lots of disrespect with the vacation folk, said people don't act that way when they have to see their neighbor every day. I get it.

eldo and placer counties fall back to red tier. at this rate most of california should be purple tiered by next month.

and lets not get into the vacation rental crap again. its fairly obvious to everybody that doesn't profit from them that they suck in many ways. they will be heavily curtailed in the future, measure t goes into effect in january, the writing is on the wall that it is a failed business model.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Santa Cruz too

I for one love STRs managed appropriately. I really do t want to spend too much time traveling and staying in hotels. We have them in my town, but they are limited, and it works. Does not really effect the volume of affordable housing, as most are homes for the wealthy.

Tahoe and Mammoth both have plenty of lower/mid income homes for rent and I can see where that causes issues with the local rental market. OTOH, folks staying in a STR are no more dangerous to you locals than those staying in hotels. COVID wise. I’ll be renting small cabins this winter and will be staying away from hotels. Don’t want to share hallways and lobbies with strangers. Or use restaurants.

We looked for places with flexible cancellation and full days vacant between renters. Plan to further sanitize surfaces when we arrive and stay for several days. Cancel if we get sick or shit falls apart. Bring our own food. Cook at home. Not go out except to ski. We won’t be mixing with other cohorts. Don’t see how we are going to get you sick. OTOH if I was walking through lobbies and going out to eat, I would be in the mix.

Powpig--The original idea behind short term rentals was to allow people to defray the cost of their second home by renting it out when they weren't using it, or their primary residence by renting out a room, in either case managed by the owners. Many of these properties are now full time vacation rentals--hotels operating in residential neighborhoods managed by absentee owners and rental companies. I don't wish anybody to lose their job or livelihood but that is a sacrifice that unfortunately the pandemic has imposed on many. The crowding together of multiple households for an extended period of time is exactly the kind of behavior that is surging the virus and will cost a lot more people their livelihood and their lives.

I commend your girlfriend for the one day buffer. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a practical way to control occupancy in the typical STR and the properties are usually too expensive to rent to most single households.

It is also important to realize that cases acquired in a vacation rental will not usually be reflected in the rental's county but in the home counties of the victims, so the statistics don't reflect the impact the STR's have on transmission.

I am not in favor of banning travel between counties or states. The virus is everywhere. I don't have a problem with someone from SF to come up here to stay in a hotel to ski at a resort or in the backcountry or to use their second home without guests. I'm not in favor of localism. I'm against gatherings, be they of locals or out of towners.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    My girlfriend owns & runs a vacation rental biz. Nice to know you're in favor of shutting her down because you've delusionally concluded that renting from a local rental company isn't "patronizing local businesses".
    That'll be real comforting when she can't pay her mortgage.

When stuff opened back up, she instituted a 1 day buffer so there are no back to back STR where one group checks out in the AM and a new group comes in that afternoon. I personally know others who've adopted similar policies. Your personal bias & one size fits all view of the STR situation based on your neighbors is a poor way to gauge the entirety of the STR market.
    Your girlfriend is able to pay her mortgage by running a business that makes it a lot harder for many people (like me) to buy a house. Yeah, I'm all in favor of shutting that shit down, covid or not. I'm pretty sure she isn't losing any sleep over the locals being forced out of Tahoe due to homes being turned into motels, so why would I (or anyone else) care if she can't pay her mortgage?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

There are quite of few small rental homes in Tahoe. One room cottages that. Are essentially studios as well as one and two bedroom. We mostly tenth studio or 1Br but mostly because we ain’t rich.

Our rich friends down the street already have several big homes in KW rented for different periods. Mom is a surgeon and won’t even get within 8 feet of me masked outdoors with a wind blowing away from us. They just plan to live large in a 4/5 BR homes cause they can walk across the lot and to the lifts. Family of 4 but with money.

I know there are bigger homes and I know it is a real issue up there. I also know they have been around for a long time. I was renting homes in Tahoe that were clearly primarily rentals back in ‘98.

Anyway. Doubt closing str would really curtail the problem. Same groups of people will just rent a slew of hotel rooms and hang out with each other in even smaller places.

Not jealous of y’all this winter. Santa Cruz was overrun this summer but at least it was warm and we could all stay outdoors for the most part.

But if shutting STR's shuts the lifts and saves lives I can accept that.
    #metoo
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Top of the basin
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5954.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	347211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6035.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	347212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6173.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	347213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6098.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	347214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6202.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	347216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6115.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	347217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6220.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	347218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6338.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	841.6 KB 
ID:	347219

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^fer reals

today’s secret stash

Name:	IMG_5400.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	347223

Name:	IMG_5405.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	347224

Name:  IMG_5411.JPG
Views: 733
Size:  183.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Top of the basin

Name:	IMG_5954.jpg 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	347211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6035.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	347212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6173.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	347213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6098.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	347214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6202.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	347216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6115.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	347217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6220.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	347218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6338.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	841.6 KB 
ID:	347219

Danke gracias en fuego for putting sh!t back on the stoke track!

I scoped out my local lines yesterday and they were mas bony. So, no schuss por me, yet.

On the plus I got new skis and boots in the mail yesterday. Woot!

Spent the day Booster strapping and trying to figure out mounting points...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Gimpy stoke the best,
    rental houses in the hood,
    They suck majorly.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

I don't think the STR issue should be connected to COVID. On my street there are now homes that are essentially full time hotels. Sunday morning a group leaves and Sunday afternoon another group shows up. Every week. I bought into a residential neighborhood not a commercial one. This does not help property values. Who wants to buy into a neighborhood full of hotels with all the issues with now controlling the guests.
    If investors want to buy property to rent out on STR basis full time then the area should be zoned for that so all know what they are getting into.
    This just cannot be done just because someone thinks this is a good investment.
    The occasional renting out was fine. But know that is full time business, that model does not work next to folks just trying to get to work everyday.

El Dorado moved to red tier today. We have one week to improve but that ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by nrob View Post
    This does not help property values. Who wants to buy into a neighborhood full of hotels with all the issues with now controlling the guests.
    While I am clearly against all STRs, this argument is pretty much invalid. I don't think property values is an issue. If anything the issue is that property values are too high. Who wants to buy into your neighborhood? I'm sure there's plenty of people, and there's a good chance the highest bidder is going to turn it into yet another motel. If STRs were illegal, there would be less demand, which would decrease values, which would be beneficial to some (locals looking to buy) and detrimental to others (those looking to cash out, and programs that rely on tax money). But I definitely agree motels don't belong in residential neighborhoods, and I can guarantee almost everyone that owns these STRs would have a complete meltdown if that shit happened next door to them.
    Enough about that, nice stoke Gimpy!
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

FKNA Gimpy!
    Stoke felt all the way up on the north shore!

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Top of the basin
    Name:  gimpy photo edit.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  109.3 KB
    Last edited by lepistoir; 11-10-2020 at 11:57 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

hey man what the fuck is up with your poles?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Many people use the earnings they expect from STRing their place to calculate how much house they can afford. It definitely is driving home prices up. But then again there are WFH people used to spending $5000/mo to rent a 3/2 apt when that's a mortgage up here for a 4/4 house that's double the size, garage, yard, lakeview...

ETA: powpig, your gf is just as vulnerable to the market as the rest of us. old goat isn't trying to kill her business. He has problems with STRs (as do many of us) and she makes her living from them. I want to ban fracking, but not because I hate Chuck, who makes his living from fracking, but because I don't want to live half the year breathing smoke or on the run from wildfires, among other ill effects of climate change like shorter winters (boo).
    Last edited by lepistoir; 11-10-2020 at 10:04 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

yeah but what the fuck is up with your poles?

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    yeah but what the fuck is up with your poles?
    You talking to me? My poles? You mean the pipe insulation for extra grip positions? Or the fact they're made of titanium balloon animals that I inflate in the car but become rigid when exposed to freezing temps?

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

yeah you motherfucker

hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Santa Cruz too

I for one love STRs managed appropriately. I really do t want to spend too much time traveling and staying in hotels. We have them in my town, but they are limited, and it works. Does not really effect the volume of affordable housing, as most are homes for the wealthy.

Tahoe and Mammoth both have plenty of lower/mid income homes for rent and I can see where that causes issues with the local rental market. OTOH, folks staying in a STR are no more dangerous to you locals than those staying in hotels. COVID wise. I’ll be renting small cabins this winter and will be staying away from hotels. Don’t want to share hallways and lobbies with strangers. Or use restaurants.

We looked for places with flexible cancellation and full days vacant between renters. Plan to further sanitize surfaces when we arrive and stay for several days. Cancel if we get sick or shit falls apart. Bring our own food. Cook at home. Not go out except to ski. We won’t be mixing with other cohorts. Don’t see how we are going to get you sick. OTOH if I was walking through lobbies and going out to eat, I would be in the mix.
    Don't rent (....). I live. Visitor, checkout 11 am, LL cleans, newbies arrive 2 hrs. later. 3 parties 3 hours. There were 25 BA kids here, b day party, fun and young. At least I'm not dumb and young, but not so young.