Page 5 of 226 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Donner Pass Rd at the lake was stop and go for a while--there were chain controls up, but not snowing. If this is what it's like on a Sunday in early Nov, dog help us when/if there's skiing.
    I can't believe how crowded it was in Truckee this weekend. Usually with weather like this in early November and no resorts open it would be a ghost town.

Got enough snow that I was able to get a few pow surfing laps in at the Incline golf course without killing myself, so that was fun. I guess those count as my first turns of the season.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Saw the Whistler folks blame the old thread for jinxing this season and that may have been what was going on here too. Seems like starting the new thread was well-timed.

Enough for some scratchy XC in rose meadows yesterday. More snow on the way, but probably going to fall on currently-forming facets in shady areas. Our first avalanche cycle of the year?

Last edited by lepistoir; 11-10-2020 at 09:02 AM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

^yup. Continental weather equals continental snowpack even in the maritime
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I can't believe how crowded it was in Truckee this weekend. Usually with weather like this in early November and no resorts open it would be a ghost town.

Got enough snow that I was able to get a few pow surfing laps in at the Incline golf course without killing myself, so that was fun. I guess those count as my first turns of the season.
    You turned?

Checking in on the thread, cause I made more than 20 turns yesterday. It's officially on!

Longer range forecast models continue to look good...let's keep it coming. This last storm would have been some great blower if it fell on a base.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You turned?
    Yeah? (confused, huh?)

Yeah? (confused, huh?)
    Just thinking back to my golf course skiing days--hard to go fast enough to turn, but I suppose Incline is steeper than SE Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Checking in on the thread, cause I made more than 20 turns yesterday. It's officially on!

Longer range forecast models continue to look good...let's keep it coming. This last storm would have been some great blower if it fell on a base.
    https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe/post/19137 Oh yeah, looking down the barrel of three atmospheric rivers over the next 7-10 days. Let’s gooo

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You new to these parts?

Lord help me, this is gonna be a long season....
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large

Do you think most of the people that were in truckee were people that have relocated up into that area because of WFH? Part of me thinks the mountains would normally be less busy this year because of covid but given how many people are WFH, I could see the mountains being more crowded then usual.

This was the first weekend that Truckee did not feel crowded. I went to Safeway Saturday evening (Mom asked for a delivery to Downieville the next day) and the SPL was pretty empty, as was downtown. There were open parking spaces along Donner Pass Rd and few people on the sidewalk. Hopefully the indoor spaces were not crowded. Going out to Downieville Sunday morning, we saw about 4 cars between Truckee and Downieville.

That said, I will not be lulled into a false sense of security. I know it will be more crowded than ever this winter.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Anyone actually have numbers on how many new people are in town? I know home sales were up, and there has been an increase in enrollment at local schools. But I'm guessing between north shore and Truckee, maybe a few hundred homes sold. Not sure how many of those were for people planning to move here versus second (or third or fourth) homes. Also gotta factor in people moving into vacation homes that they already owned, but I'm thinking at most 1-2000 new residents. Which may be (?) partially offset by some of those people snatching up homes that were previously used as motels. Of course Reno area picked up quite a few new residents, too. Curious to see how it plays out, seems like since summer it has been more consistently busy, but without the huge spikes on the weekend.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

STFU RE: GFS/PWAT
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A8B4E979-CBB7-447E-8977-2FE974FB4A53.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	882.6 KB 
ID:	347084

Name:	IMG_5372.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	420.6 KB 
ID:	347085

Name:	IMG_5377.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	347086

Name:	IMG_5380.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	347087

Name:	IMG_5382.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	347088

Hell. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    ^yup. Continental weather equals continental snowpack even in the maritime
    And SAC obs bear this out: faceting regime, surface hoar...

which means even deeper tomorrow than today, although i guess it would be the same water content

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Anyone actually have numbers on how many new people are in town? I know home sales were up, and there has been an increase in enrollment at local schools. But I'm guessing between north shore and Truckee, maybe a few hundred homes sold. Not sure how many of those were for people planning to move here versus second (or third or fourth) homes. Also gotta factor in people moving into vacation homes that they already owned, but I'm thinking at most 1-2000 new residents. Which may be (?) partially offset by some of those people snatching up homes that were previously used as motels. Of course Reno area picked up quite a few new residents, too. Curious to see how it plays out, seems like since summer it has been more consistently busy, but without the huge spikes on the weekend.
    I think most of it is related to exploding demand for STR's, and instead of just coming for the weekend they'll rent a place for a full week or longer because they can get some work done remotely. The new resident angle is probably a bit overstated, although I'm sure a lot of people are using their second homes more frequently as well. I live on a quiet little street with a culdasac at the end and it used to be rare to see a car go by on non-Holiday weekends, now there are people going up and down somewhat consistently. Pretty sure most of them are airBNB clientele.

Nice pics, PowDork.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I'm thinking at most 1-2000 new residents.
    That's a 6-12% increase in population in 6-8 months, which is actually pretty dang significant if those numbers bear out.

The STR next door has been continuously rented a week at a time since last winter's ski lease ended. There's people there now--sitting indoors and not driving anywhere. A lot of the groups have been like that--families I assume getting together in a big house (claims to accommodate 14 and some of the groups have been bigger in 4 bedrooms).
    Almost everyone has been from CA or NV, not unusually prosperous judging by the cars, just folks eager to share the virus and take it back home. Nobody is even cleaning between some of the groups.
    The STR's are a potent spreading site and I don't understand why they are still allowed to operate. Shutting them down wouldn't be costing a lot of jobs--most of the people aren't patronizing local businesses as best as I can tell.

Some of recent real estate sales have certainly been to WFH people but some are to out -of- towners, out-of-staters, who buy them as permanent vacation rentals. Talked to someone from a nearby neighborhood whose 80 year old next door neighbor died and his heirs sold the place to a NYer who has never laid eyes on the place. She's had to endure things like big weddings and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    You new to these parts?

Aha, little bit. Got a little too giddy re first snowfall(s) of season.

Y’all are as funny as the VT folks. Lock the borders but keep the lifts spinning. As if those resorts rely at all on locals. Shut down the rental beds and those resorts will not be spinning lifts for long. So y’all need to decide if you want lift served or freedom from outsiders. Can’t have both.

^they can stay at hotels. ours has been at higher capacity and rates than ever for this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Y’all are as funny as the VT folks. Lock the borders but keep the lifts spinning. As if those resorts rely at all on locals. Shut down the rental beds and those resorts will not be spinning lifts for long. So y’all need to decide if you want lift served or freedom from outsiders. Can’t have both.
    I don't believe shutting down STR's will shut the lifts. (But the governor might.) The resorts have made their money selling passes. They're not counting on day passes, food and food and beverage sales. if the slopes are less crowded they can save money running fewer lifts. (They may have to anyway--depending on how many lift ops, patrollers, etc. they can hire and keep healthy.) Hotels can still operate, and perhaps some centrally managed condos with occupancy restrictions. Restaurants need to be carry out.
    But if shutting STR's shuts the lifts and saves lives I can accept that.