Page 20 of 226 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Anyone know when they update the Kirkwood Uphill Access hotline? Unfortunately on the recording they forgot to give the date so you can’t tell if it’s the leftover message from the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I would go with the legal definition of negligence with the concept of innocent until proven ignorant. Yes, we would only catch the worst offenders (like going out solo in the backcountry with no experience, no beacon shovel and probe and no extra jackets) but I also would publicize these events in order to keep other dumb asses out. My gut tells me that there will be way more of these incidents this season but I hope that I am wrong.

As for Corona virus, I would do the same with triaging hospitals when negligence can be proved. What would qualify as COVID negligence? People who are cited for COVID parties, social gatherings of 30 people, refusal to where masks in places were masked are required (ski resorts qualify) etc. IMO freedom comes at a price and if you are proven to contribute to the spread of COVID that’s your choice but you are not gonna be first in line for a hospital bed when you get sick. But now we are moving away from skiing and on to COVID.

Back to skiing, the last storm came with heavy winds so I would expect leeward slopes to be pretty full in the backcountry. For example, on SAC where the cornice broke the snow was estimated to be 10-15 feet deep.
    It’s not against the law to go out skiing by yourself with no experience. This is America, if you want to perish by slowly suffocating alone in an icy tomb, that’s your prerogative.

Negligence can only be proved in court right? Or would we leave it to Facebook commenters to out the negligent and make sure they’re denied prompt access to healthcare? So our choices are to have cops in the backcountry or vigilantes on social media?

I’m one of the people that gets to deal with the negligent outdoorsers, both on the clock and as a volunteer, and maintain that everyone has equal right to make stupid choices on public land, pandemic or not

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Punishing people who don't practice personal responsibility but don't break the law is a very slippery slope. Drinking, smoking, poor diet (who gets to decide--vegans, paleos?). But there is an easy way to deal with it--let they (gotta keep the pronouns gender neutral) who is without sin cast the first stone.

I did a drive-by of the various local Truckee B/C spots yesterday.
    At 7:30 am Sunrise Bowl was completely raped. It looked like an epileptic dog had chased a rabid butterfly all over the slope.
    Not farming a hill is one of my biggest peeves about 90% of B/C skiers: how hard is it to leave some lines for others?
    Only 2 vehicles parked at the turnout on Ski Slope.
    Snow was breakable crust.

In the afternoon (4 pm) I drove up to Donner Summit.

There were only 4 cars at Negro Canyon. Saw a dad and his 2 kids sledding, but that was it.

Castle Peak road is covered in snow and wasn't driveable in my opinion.
    Lottsa folks parked on the other side of the freeway, though, by the Woodward Apts.
    The PCT Sno Park had about a dozen cars there, most folks were taking selfies in the snow, sledding, or building snowpeople.

Quite a few cars parked in the turnouts by Clair Tappan, again people taking selfies and engaging in snow play.

Only about 4 cars at DSR.

The Sugar Bowl Academy lot was over flowing. Large groups of folks snow playing and hiking down Old 40 (which is closed at the Summit until 11/24).

Just based on the types of vehicles, license plate holders, and how folks were dressed, my guess is that the bulk of these folks were out-of-towners.

If this is what it looked like on a Friday, next week is gonna be busy, imho. .
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Hmmn...
    *UPDATE: Reservations for Heavenly this weekend are full.*

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

^ Thanks for that, Dookey.

Painful reminder of early season conditions. Heal up skier.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH0myThh...=1xe55rel2951z

This ten day forecast
    Is some fucking bullshit, man
    Open Snow jinxed us

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This ten day forecast
    Is some fucking bullshit, man
    Open Snow jinxed us
    Sorry TahoeJ,
    It is sixteen days of bad,
    Maybe even more.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Punishing people who don't practice personal responsibility but don't break the law is a very slippery slope. Drinking, smoking, poor diet (who gets to decide--vegans, paleos?). But there is an easy way to deal with it--let they (gotta keep the pronouns gender neutral) who is without sin cast the first stone.
    Hopefully they can add RFID to the vaccine/microchip so we don't have to queue up at the window.

No snow many weeks

Sure does help me stay at home

And heal up shoulder

Whoa, speaking of Heavenly booked up already. Park City opened reservations this week and completely sold out in two hours...thru November 29th.

People are having a fit on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/ParkCityMou...7825348084226/

I can only imagine Next Door... fuck Vail!
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Low tide waves

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Low tide waves

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    That doesn't look bad.
    What do the bottoms of your skis look like?

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Whoa, speaking of Heavenly booked up already. Park City opened reservations this week and completely sold out in two hours...thru November 29th.

People are having a fit on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/ParkCityMou...7825348084226/

I can only imagine Next Door... fuck Vail!
    Event tickets were one thing and yes I can handle needing a bot to get a PS5 (I can wait) but a freakin ski reservation...

That said ladies at work go through the same thing when the reservation for spin class opens since so few bikes are going now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

Just based on the types of vehicles, license plate holders, and how folks were dressed, my guess is that the bulk of these folks were out-of-towners.

If this is what it looked like on a Friday, next week is gonna be busy, imho. .
    Pretty similar up at Tahoe Meadows area today. I skied Incline with a couple buddy’s, I kid-you-not someone post holed their way up to Incline Peak. And someone snowshoed in the skin track.

Besides that, though, it was as expected in the area. Some people were out braaping over by Relay, which kind of surprised me and more than a little reckless IMO with the snowpack. Overall it was actually pretty quiet from 7:30-10 or so, by the second lap there were a lotta people showing up. Tahoe Meadows was nutty, per usual, by the time I was leaving at 11:30.

T/D and North 89 B/C update:
    Around 11 am today Glacier Way parking lot was full and the cul de.sac had 7 cars parked there. Not as insane as this past April, but still much busier than usual.
    The turnout at the hairpin on Ski Slope was filled (5 cars).

I drove out to Jackson Meadows and it only had about 6 cars, one had a 4-sled trailer, the other had a horse trailer. The rest were Teslas and Suburus. Saw a few folks in jeans,(Not to profile but jeans and a Tesla in my mind = tourist), but overall not what I would call crowded. Then again, the snow out there down low is thin; The JM road is still open, even though it is covered in snow.

I keep contemplating going out, but the crowds and breakable crust keep me sleeping in
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Tesla= tourist?
    Nit any more
    Where have you been all year?
    They live here now, they are all over, always.

All because they live here don't mean they ain't tourists.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    It’s not against the law to go out skiing by yourself with no experience. This is America, if you want to perish by slowly suffocating alone in an icy tomb, that’s your prerogative.

Negligence can only be proved in court right? Or would we leave it to Facebook commenters to out the negligent and make sure they’re denied prompt access to healthcare? So our choices are to have cops in the backcountry or vigilantes on social media?

I’m one of the people that gets to deal with the negligent outdoorsers, both on the clock and as a volunteer, and maintain that everyone has equal right to make stupid choices on public land, pandemic or not

Negligence would need to proved in a legal court, not Facebook.

I think people are getting confused with what I am saying. You do have the right to make stupid choices on public land just don’t expect to be the first in line at the hospital during COVID if you get hurt. Also, don’t expect a free rescue when you are stupid during a one in 100 year pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I am not talking about punishing those people but rather not subsidizing their bad habits. I don’t care if you smoke but my health insurance should not be higher because you smoked. I would put a healthcare tax of cigarettes so that smokers pay the increased costs of health insurance. Ditto for high fructose corn syrup and backcountry rescues. Don’t expect a free backcountry rescue when you are being negligent out there.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Whoa, speaking of Heavenly booked up already. Park City opened reservations this week and completely sold out in two hours...thru November 29th...
    HV were saying as more terrain opens up, it will not be an issue. It is still hella early season, after all. Dunno ought about PC, but maybe same story?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I am not talking about punishing those people but rather not subsidizing their bad habits. I don’t care if you smoke but my health insurance should not be higher because you smoked. I would put a healthcare tax of cigarettes so that smokers pay the increased costs of health insurance. Ditto for high fructose corn syrup and backcountry rescues. Don’t expect a free backcountry rescue when you are being negligent out there.
    In most places in the US, you are most likely going to receive free backcountry rescuer services regardless of your level of negligent stupidity as long as you don’t require EMS services along the way.

Negligence is what keeps the CHP air operations in business

Interestingly, smokers cost the health care system less than non smokers over the long haul due to their shorter lifespans. Should my insurance be higher because you refuse to smoke?
    https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/6/e001678
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Today’s jerryoftheday coming to you from heavenly
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5656.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	349183

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.