Page 206 of 226 FirstFirst ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 5635
    real logistical question .. when do the forests open again? like, legally, not philosophically

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

They are supposed to decide on the 17th to extend closure or open it up. The current notice ends on the 17th

Palisades Tahoe is kind of a lame resort name IMO. That's the best they could come up with?

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 8.16.54 AM.png
Views: 619
Size:  31.4 KB
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Is that announced? Yikes

Squawk

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

sounds like a condo development. Why don't they just call it Olympic Valley and be done with it?

The IOC would probably sue them into oblivion if they did

Olympic Valley clearly wasn't an option due to trademark issues... but I'm wondering how much they paid some firm to come up with Palisades? Pretty vanilla. Without a catchy new name, everyone is just going to keep calling it Squaw now.

How am I gonna impress people by saying "Yeah, I've skied the Palisades" now?

Lame.

Is the overflow parking lot formally known as Alpine Meadows also included and the name erased? I assume so.

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Olympic Valley clearly wasn't an option due to trademark issues... but I'm wondering how much they paid some firm to come up with Palisades? Pretty vanilla. Without a catchy new name, everyone is just going to keep calling it Squaw now.
    Is there really a trademark issue with using Olympic Valley?

Also, not stoked at the Palisades name. Has it been confirmed?

It's up on the sign in front of Olympic Valley road today and all over their social media, so yes.

And yes, the IOC is a huge stickler about using the Olympic brand.

[COLOR=var(--pt-blue)]What is the new name?
    [/COLOR]The new name of the resort is Palisades Tahoe. The resort as a whole will be known as Palisades Tahoe, and we will use Olympic Valley and Alpine Meadows to refer to each base area when needed, such as on directional signage.
    From the FAQ: https://www.palisadestahoe.com/new-name

Interesting they can get away with it there, but makes sense.

How about Palisades Tahoe?

It's up on the sign in front of Olympic Valley road today and all over their social media, so yes.

And yes, the IOC is a huge stickler about using the Olympic brand.
    Ah well, it’ll take some getting used to but it is what it is.

Totally agree. If the goal was to get ppl to stop saying the slur, they needed something ppl would jump on. This is super generic. The stock photo man with coffee at computer of resort names. And further loss of differentiation for Alpine Meadows since there are palisades in both, but with different flavors. I've been saying Olympic Valley ever since the name change was announced so I guess that's what I'm going to keep doing. Would love to hear what some Washoe names are for the place, the creek, the peak...
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

lol, came close to spitting my coffee out on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    sounds like a condo development. Why don't they just call it Olympic Valley and be done with it?
    With my orange Patagucci jacket, orange boots, and orange skis (when there's enough new snow for them) I'll fit in with the color scheme.

Palisades is OK I guess. I'd call it The Palisades. More dramatic. Palisades Tahoe is lame. Makes it sounds like some little mom and pop place people would otherwise not be able to find.
    On the website it looks like PT covers both areas--with TRFKASV called Olympic Valley and Alpine Meadows called Alpine Meadows.

Hah. Perfect.

Yes, mega generic. But, outside of pissing off the IOC, what is obviously better? Could go with some other terrain feature name like Granite Chief, but there's a ski shop with multiple storefronts with that brand.

Just about anything is going to be jarring because they have such a well-established long-term brand under the old name.

Overall, I guess I just personally don't care that much. It's not a slur, and that's better than before. So beyond that, the snow is the same, when it actually falls.

Honestly, I think what's going to happen is people will say they have an IKON Pass and ski at OV and Alpine. Which is... totally fine as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Hah. Perfect.

Yes, mega generic. But, outside of pissing off the IOC, what is obviously better? Could go with some other terrain feature name like Granite Chief, but there's a ski shop with multiple storefronts with that brand.

Just about anything is going to be jarring because they have such a well-established long-term brand under the old name.

Overall, I guess I just personally don't care that much. It's not a slur, and that's better than before. So beyond that, the snow is the same, when it actually falls.

Honestly, I think what's going to happen is people will say they have an IKON Pass and ski at OV and Alpine. Which is... totally fine as far as I'm concerned.
    Ovalpine? Not to be confused with Ovaltine. (Surpised to find out they still make that stuff.)

It's been over 20 years since they renamed West Face. Anyone here call it Moseley's Run?

And what's with the eagle/wave? A symbol of freedom, California culture according to the FAQ. Double lame. (And what if they actually found an eagle's nest on top of the Palisades (either one). They'd have to close it, like they did with Eagle Buttress at Lover's Leap years ago. I did once see a golden eagle climbing there--looked up to see it circling high above me with the sun shining golden through its wings. Spectacular.)

I think it's kind of lame - but a lot of resorts have generic names that sound kind of lame in the abstract. Mammoth Mountain, Big Sky, Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, Sugar Bowl, Snowmass, Winter Park, Crystal Mountain, even Alpine Meadows. At least "Palisades" has some local history.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

"Snownook It's what my people say test the best. " - Mr. Majors
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Ovalpine? Not to be confused with Ovaltine. (Surpised to find out they still make that stuff.)

It's been over 20 years since they renamed West Face. Anyone here call it Moseley's Run?

And what's with the eagle/wave? A symbol of freedom, California culture according to the FAQ. Double lame. (And what if they actually found an eagle's nest on top of the Palisades (either one). They'd have to close it, like they did with Eagle Buttress at Lover's Leap years ago. I did once see a golden eagle climbing there--looked up to see it circling high above me with the sun shining golden through its wings. Spectacular.)
    For eagles?? there is a seasonal closure there for Peregrine Falcons and I don't see them allowing an Eagle to nest nearby.
    Last edited by powdork; 09-13-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.