Page 18 of 226 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Dude, that's bullshit. So what if they get hurt?

They will learn.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I wasn’t up to speed on COVID backcountry protocol. See someone hurt in the backcountry and instead of helping them I will yell “I hope you learned your lesson jong!”

Enough toxicity. Be safe, enjoy the outdoors and keep yourself and others safe.
    Last edited by hercule33; 11-20-2020 at 01:31 AM.

I'm not trying to be toxic.

But I'm annoyed at seeing people saying that newbies do not belong in the Backcountry.
    Everyone was a beginner at some point, and we all learned.
    No reason to try to keep people out of the Backcountry with made up reasons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6800.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	348856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6805.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1,019.2 KB 
ID:	348857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6817.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	348858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6822.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	348860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6879.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	348863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6989.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	348864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7070.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	348865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7153.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	348866
    Then my phone died but one more on other side of camera on best lap of the day (the north)
    We didn’t drain first 2 Laps

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7163.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	348868

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ^^^ all good buddy thanx. long day today with great turns everywhere from summit city to the edge of the world to n facing sister to rt lake to mellow rt gullies to eback n out old pass rd. tried to covered all the aspects today....hah!.....pics to follow when i go thru em all to pick out the burst mode heroes
    Seems like you made the most of the limited daylight.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm not trying to be toxic.

But I'm annoyed at seeing people saying that newbies do not belong in the Backcountry.
    Everyone was a beginner at some point, and we all learned.
    No reason to try to keep people out of the Backcountry with made up reasons.

I am not saying that newbies don’t belong in the backcountry. Hell, if you can learn safely this season go for it. But maybe I come from an old school of backcountry thought where I don’t think that you should go out without the proper equipment and knowledge. And something tells me that this season we may see way more people in the backcountry without the proper equipment and training.

Northstar tomorrow
    Heavenly spinning lifts too
    Kirkwood not so much

already today
    oops. imagine yesterday
    post reads correctly

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    email it to a friend to print
    I'll do it and Mail it to you for $5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

already done

thanks
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Damn that is a long early season tour. Way more snow out there than I’d imagined. KW looks good to go.

but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    But they won’t. It’s is Vail.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    KW looks good to go.
    Especially the Cirque
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

How would you all interpret this avalanche observation on SAC in terms of snowpack stability?

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...0/meiss-meadow

It's a trundled cornice that fell down the slope. It looks like the crown of the avalanche is the collapsed wall of the cornice itself. Doesn't appear to be any additional propagation across the width of the slope.

The lack of propagation across the slope increases my confidence in the stability of the snowpack. It seems the avalanche path is snow the cornice fall entrained as opposed to a slab that broke loose because of the cornice fall. That said, haven't observed too many cornice falls in my tours, so interested what others think.

Hard to tell from the pics but I agree. This would likely inspire a bit of confidence.

I agree that the cornice does inspire confidence but remember that this alone is not a reliable way to asses a snowpack. Also for future reference keep in mind that the snowpack was very deep in that spot so it will be more resistant to ground hoar and other early season avy problems.

Rose spinning lifts as of 9am today...

wow. didn't see that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    wow. didn't see that coming.
    December 15 is the last day for a full refund - as long as the pass is unused. Guessing they're doing everything they can to keep some of that pass money in case things shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    December 15 is the last day for a full refund - as long as the pass is unused. Guessing they're doing everything they can to keep some of that pass money in case things shut down.
    I believe so too. Something to think about before getting early turns in on any season pass because they could turn out to be expensive if shutdowns happen.

Unless something changes drastically Nevada will go to mandatory stay at home on Wednesday so they only had a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Rose spinning lifts as of 9am today...
    9:20 AM. Looks remarkably empty

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I believe so too. Something to think about before getting early turns in on any season pass because they could turn out to be expensive if shutdowns happen.
    One of the reasons I did not buy a KW pass. My injury came after prices went up, so that was not a consideration. I like a pass because I can go up east season and ski a few laps with my friends and call it a day. Work out the legs, etc. realized I would not bother skiing this season unless the days were going to be good, and it kind of defeated the purpose and cause of having a pass.

We do have Ikon’s but can choose to defer them until next season if we change our minds about skiing. And mine was a complete with no deferral option, but it was free for organizing the group buy so can’t complain.

Only wish my arm had stayed in its socket so I could be comfortable to go out an tour and get my kid out there.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I agree that the cornice does inspire confidence but remember that this alone is not a reliable way to asses a snowpack. Also for future reference keep in mind that the snowpack was very deep in that spot so it will be more resistant to ground hoar and other early season avy problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Hard to tell from the pics but I agree. This would likely inspire a bit of confidence.
    Thank you both! Appreciate the additional context, Hercule33.

The observation write-up seemed to imply the cornice drop results were a worrisome sign. Wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by thudder View Post
    Thank you both! Appreciate the additional context, Hercule33.

The observation write-up seemed to imply the cornice drop results were a worrisome sign. Wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.
    A natural cornice drop is a sign of a wind loaded slope and caution should be used. The fact the snow was so deep in that spot is also a tell tale sign of wind loading. The good news about wind loading is that it usually settles much faster than weak layers. Also in the early season once the wind loaded slope becomes stable it becomes more resistant to low snowpack problems like depth hoar. Keep in mind that this is on a micro terrain level and there are no absolutes in avalanche safety just rule of thumbs. And always remember that real time avalanche information such as cracking and whumphing override any generalizations and avalanche forecasts. Stay safe out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    9:20 AM. Looks remarkably empty
    They snuck it by us.
    Wait until tomorrow, when word gets out.
    We were gonna hold off...but might head up for a coupla hours this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...