Page 161 of 226 FirstFirst ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 5635
    my scariest moment ever was climbing the north side of mount hood

I had skis on my pack and an electrical storm sorta surprised us

I could feel and hear electricity buzzing around me and my partner saw my skis arcing around my head

I thought that was gonna be it and that my head would be blown off any second

ditched the pack and cowered under some rocks for protection from the hail

fkn scary shit

got chased off the ridge near Leavitt Peak a few days ago…
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I was doing the loop around Castle and Basin Peak and got caught in a T storm with big hail. While I groveled in the mud under a downed log with a foot and a half of space under it, a couple sat on the big isolated tree on a ridge. I hollered at them to get out from under that tree. They ignored me. The next thing I knew there was a huge explosion, the tree was smoldering and all that was left of the couple was some ashes under the tree. OK, I made up the last sentence. Nothing happened.

We were in the Winds for a 2 week trip, it T stormed every day, usually starting early in the morning. We did try to climb 2 days that looked like they were going to be clear. We got caught twice before 10AM--once on the summit of Pingora, which we rapped off, and once on Wolf's Head ridge. On Wolf's Head there was fine hail which covered the foot holds on the crux descending no-hands friction traverse. We finally gave up and left, got stuck in the mud between two hills on the dirt road out. Me on my belly putting chains on (it paid off to be too lazy to put away my chains for the summer) while my so-called friends stood there and laughed at me.

I’ve used chains more often for mud in the summer than for snow in the winter.

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

Man, I need to just stay at home. Ran a quick trip to the store on the bike and yelled at two idiot drivers.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

drove around town a bit and out to blue lakes today. surprised at how little to no traffic there was, except leaving blue lakes during the extended downpour. There was an SAR going on for a missing hiker. Younger kid named Hayden missing out of Lost Lakes area.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Group had to be rescued after being caught in a thunder and hail storm. Must have been a hell of a storm.
    https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/a...pdigest_latest

^^ They were warned!! (from the weather forecasts all weekend)
    Oddly enough, you may want to keep access to a spare set of
    clothes in case you get rained on. While it`s hot, temperatures
    can cool off by more than 30 degrees after a shower or
    thunderstorm. There have been cases of hypothermia even in the
    summer resulting from this scenario.
    Out at Blue Lakes (8,000') it dropped from 82 to 57 during and after the storms. 13 miles is a pretty long way to be out if you're not real prepared.

Maybe they were caught off guard by some of this new super speedy Squaw Valley lighting...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 11.58.12 AM.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	378863

14 “backpackers” from a summer camp near me had to get flown out last week due to being completely unprepared for heavy weather.

fuckers like that waste resources and put rescuers at risk

I disagree. I know in this case it was calfire that did the rescuing, but it's incorrect to say that rescue operations are being wasted by rescuing someone when it is exactly what they are created for. If the rescuers had got there and found everyone ok, that would have been wasted resources, but 4 people were evac'd with hypothermia. Pretty much EVERYONE being rescued in the backcountry has fucked up in some way or another. They just f'ed up in a way that WE think is irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Maybe they were caught off guard by some of this new super speedy Squaw Valley lighting...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 11.58.12 AM.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	378863
    right? Lightening would take 55 minutes to reach the moon. Light takes 2.5 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I disagree. I know in this case it was calfire that did the rescuing, but it's incorrect to say that rescue operations are being wasted by rescuing someone when it is exactly what they are created for. If the rescuers had got there and found everyone ok, that would have been wasted resources, but 4 people were evac'd with hypothermia. Pretty much EVERYONE being rescued in the backcountry has fucked up in some way or another. They just f'ed up in a way that WE think is irresponsible.
    my problem with the scenario I mentioned was that this was a group being led by others

individuals have less responsibility than group leaders and the organization they work for

In Europe, in the Alps at least, rescue by helicopter is just something you throw in your pack and comes with readily-available insurance. Now, all insurance comes with the basic equation of a few cases taking almost all of the premiums, but of course nobuddy knows who that will be. None of us WANT to break a leg or get mauled by a bear or go hypothermic running down to tree line in a lightning storm, but it happens to a couple people every year. Surviving those kinds of mistakes is what makes for good, cautious, mentors who help future adventurers avoid needing rescue. It's just a part of having rural/alpine/extreme environments that people sometimes get into trouble in. It's just humane to prepare for that as a society. I think all of you who criticize these groups' decisions should devote more time to helping others get prepared for problems in the backcountry.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I’m not sure I’m following the logic here. If I head into the backcountry and make a mistake that results in an injury, you’re saying that’s the same thing as not bringing shelter and warm clothes on a backpacking trip?

So, spitballing here, if one was to make the reverse commute and move back to CA, for a job in Truckee specifically, what would be the bedroom communities if any these days? Born and raised in the 916, It's been a minute since I've lived in NorCal. I know Reno is going bonkers and growing in price but its still cheaper than where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I’m not sure I’m following the logic here. If I head into the backcountry and make a mistake that results in an injury, you’re saying that’s the same thing as not bringing shelter and warm clothes on a backpacking trip?
    Basically, yes. My take is that people would still rather be prepared and make it home on time than spend a night shivering with a SAR rep before flying out on a heli and having to answer a ton of questions (or still having to hike out -a long walk of shame with the rescuer and having to explain your mistakes to lots of people. So rescue should be available while all of us do our best to prepare folx for the mountains and tut-tut them when they fuck up. Not sure how many rescues you think is "appropriate" with millions of city-dwellers mere hours away.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    So, spitballing here, if one was to make the reverse commute and move back to CA, for a job in Truckee specifically, what would be the bedroom communities if any these days? Born and raised in the 916, It's been a minute since I've lived in NorCal. I know Reno is going bonkers and growing in price but its still cheaper than where I live.
    Reno is pretty much it

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    my problem with the scenario I mentioned was that this was a group being led by others

individuals have less responsibility than group leaders and the organization they work for
    I agree, but we, of all groups rely on rescue in the mountains more than most. And we fuck up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Are they not both mistakes?

Also, what do we really know about this? Two of the rescuers stayed with them overnight at their campsite, so it wasn't a day trip and they weren't without shelter. Point is, we shouldn't point fingers when we don't know the details. just be happy it ended up being a good outcome.

If you're going to be renting than most likely Reno, but you can still try Truckee. If you have money and lack pets your chances improve

The real estate all around the lake truly has gone batshit crazy over the past year or so - it's not an exaggeration. Home values nearly doubled. So it depends on your budget.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The real estate all around the lake truly has gone batshit crazy over the past year or so - it's not an exaggeration. Home values nearly doubled. So it depends on your budget.
    Yah I figured, I live in the Jackson vicinity so I'm used to that. Reno looks reasonable though I'm guessing houses are getting into bidding wars like most bedroom communities. We'll see, in the very early stages of consideration at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Are they not both mistakes?

Also, what do we really know about this? Two of the rescuers stayed with them overnight at their campsite, so it wasn't a day trip and they weren't without shelter. Point is, we shouldn't point fingers when we don't know the details. just be happy it ended up being a good outcome.
    Agree with you. Was more just trying to figure out what Lepistoir was saying.

Yah I figured, I live in the Jackson vicinity so I'm used to that. Reno looks reasonable though I'm guessing houses are getting into bidding wars like most bedroom communities. We'll see, in the very early stages of consideration at this point.
    If you have cash it helps. More than half of the home sales in Reno have had cash buyers. I've submitted a couple offers about $20k over asking price just to get outbid by someone offering 10-20k over my offer in cash.

Friends just sold a house in Nevada city. They had multiple all cash offers over asking after a single weekend of showings….