Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winter boot recommendations?

I'm curious what winter boots people recommend. I live in snow country and previously have either had insulated Xtra Tuffs or cheapo Kamiks which have both worked well. The Kamiks ended up not having enough foot support and are worn out now. I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on other boots. I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but my attempts to find an old thread failed.

It's like the old joke... what does an 80 year old woman's pussy taste like?
    Depends...
    You working all day in the snow or walking from the truck to the lodge or something in between, e.g. snowblowing a driveway 10x a year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Check out these. Merrell makes some nice ones that are much more supportive and less bulky than my old Sorels, though the Sorels are warmer which I don’t really need most of the time. Nice general fit, E-Z on, E-Z off, insulated but trim. The Moab Chelsea waterproof is my go-to for driving and walking around in snow.
    https://www.merrell.com/US/en/coldpa...of/26968M.html
    https://www.merrell.com/US/en/jungle...zy/47511M.html
    https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-a...of/41554M.html
    https://www.merrell.com/US/en/trembl...ce/35129M.html

I have Schnee's 13" Hunters for walking the dogs through the fields, hunting, etc. Caribous for quick trips to the store, Mucks for trips out to the chicken coop.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    It's like the old joke... what does an 80 year old woman's pussy taste like?
    Depends...
    You working all day in the snow or walking from the truck to the lodge or something in between, e.g. snowblowing a driveway 10x a year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Good point. Driveway shovelling, working outside, upland hunting on flatter terrain. I guess I was envisioning another set of rubber boots. I've had some plantar fascia issues so I'd like something with a bit more support than the cheapo Kamiks I've used the past few years. I'm curious about Mucks or Lacrosse for support and fit.

http://www.ratemytreads.com/ for tests of sole grip on ice

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Good point. Driveway shovelling, working outside, upland hunting on flatter terrain. I guess I was envisioning another set of rubber boots. I've had some plantar fascia issues so I'd like something with a bit more support than the cheapo Kamiks I've used the past few years. I'm curious about Mucks or Lacrosse for support and fit.
    My mucks have been great for something to slip on quickly to shovel, split firewood, walk the dog, etc. They have been very durable. They do have a supportive and firm cushioning footbed but they are not going to be a real supportive fit around the ankle and front part of your foot like a stiffer lace up boot. I've walked all day in mine no problem, but it was poking around wetlands where I really needed a waterproof knee boot. They only come in whole sizes (or at least when I bought mine) so not a great option if you fall in between sizes.

Mucks have been good for me. Mostly just shoveling snow. Used them for dog walking and chasing pheasants around. Also have some plantar fascia problems and have been ok with them.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

.... cheapo Kamiks which have both worked well. The Kamiks ended up not having enough foot support....
    I've got some cheap kamiks that I put some red superfeet insoles in. Not only improved the fit and foot support noticeably but they're also much warmer now.

Expensive Kamiks: https://us.kamik.com/collections/men...an-v?locale=US

Better quality than Mucks. I've used both for years. US made ftw.

I like my Bogs. I sometimes walk the dogs in them and the support is decent. Not great traction on ice though.

I have a pair of older 12" shearling lined Maine Hunting Shoes from LL Bean. I don't think they have made them for some time but they are excellent and incredibly warm. I believe they made a 16" pair at one point.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Expensive Kamiks: https://us.kamik.com/collections/men...an-v?locale=US

Better quality than Mucks. I've used both for years. US made ftw.
    That’s what I have too

I like vasque for hike and snowshoe and I also have the pajar trooper for around town. The teva chair 5 is good but I don’t think it’s made anymore

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've had the same pair of Caribous for over 20 years so that is my recommendation. I also have some Kenetrek 200g boots, bogs, and some insulated Keen slip ons for different uses but the Caribous always have a place in my truck.

Schnee's Hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I've got some cheap kamiks that I put some red superfeet insoles in. Not only improved the fit and foot support noticeably but they're also much warmer now.
    This ^^^^^^^^.

For me it's always been a pair of Sorel caribous with a good insole. I use the Sof sole airr orthotic, which helps stave off the plantar fasciitis, in all of my shoes/boots.
    I also shorten the laces and put a barrel lock on them and then a knot at the end. Keeps me from having to relace them every time.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Schnee's Hunters.
    oof, doesn't Filson or White's have something cheaper?

Perhaps, but they last a lifetime and have a good number of sales during the year.

Laces suck for quick on and off (especially on a tall boot). That's why I have Mucks for quick stuff around the house/wetland work and Kenetrek insulated boots for hunting, etc. I pretty much have a quiver of boots, doh!

“How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The Kamik Hunter is a good option at ~$50. Made in Canada. They're kind of floppy/roomy on the foot -- for hunting or long days I would get Bushman or Barrel. Both Muck and Xtra Tuff boots have fallen off in quality.

I also shorten the laces and put a barrel lock on them and then a knot at the end. Keeps me from having to relace them every time.
    Thanks, will do.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by fmac View Post
    The Kamik Hunter is a good option at ~$50. Made in Canada. They're kind of floppy/roomy on the foot -- for hunting or long days I would get Bushman or Barrel. Both Muck and Xtra Tuff boots have fallen off in quality.
    mine are on the tight side, but
    with any preformed boot, fit is unique
    try em on before committing

Never owned a pair, but been curious.
    https://www.overshoesneos.com