Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: SNL

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Now that's total commitment!

Thx and a hat tip to whomever recently posted in whatever thread** the I Still Believe clip from The Lost Boys for kickstarting all this! Tim Cappello, the OGSS.

Name:  Tim Capello.gif
Views: 1214
Size:  1,005.5 KB

** Can't remember either. Great film, BTW.

^^^^thank you

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Tim Cappello, the OGSS.
    Hell yeah! And Tim Capello's STILL kicking ass and slaying that sax after all these years. Still jacked.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Ha, yea, he's still the King of the Sexy Sax Men, no doubt!

Name:  SNL 2022.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  87.9 KB

Last two were Willem Dafoe and Will Forte, both pretty good I thought. That said how Forte could host and not do a Falconer sketch, well, that's just criminal!

And yet today the impossible becomes the possible, and this precious clip is back on YouTube!

^^ Agreed, Falconer is way better than MacGruber.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

End of the line for two big names last night.

Hey, did you guys know Bowen Yang is gay?

[/s]

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    End of the line for two big names last night.

Four, Aidy Bryant and Kyle Mooney (whose farewell sketch got cut due to time constraints as usual) are also leaving.

What's funny is how the folks who loved SNL in the 80s/90s when Murphy and Piscapo were making fun of gay people now hate it because the new cast makes fun of bigots. Every single person I know who says SNL used to be funny but now it's just garbage is one of the boomer bigots they now destroy. Anyone catch the "I'm stupid and I vote" sketch last night? Ya, bet you didn't think that was funny LOL..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

People have been saying "SNL used to be funnier" since I was a kid because memory wipes all the bad stuff out.
    It's a weekly sketch show that goes through constant form-storm-norm-perform cycles as cast and writers change.
    Hell, people used to think the Sandler/rock/spade/Farley era was crap at the time it was airing.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    People have been saying "SNL used to be funnier" since I was a kid because memory wipes all the bad stuff out.
    This. I think the show was due for a good shakeup, though. Seems like lots of the cast had been on for a long time. Now if they can just get rid of Cecily Strong. I never find any of her material funny.

It's a weekly sketch show that goes through constant form-storm-norm-perform cycles as cast and writers change.
    Hell, people used to think the Sandler/rock/spade/Farley era was crap at the time it was airing.
    cuz they forgot about Lorne...

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Four, Aidy Bryant and Kyle Mooney (whose farewell sketch got cut due to time constraints as usual) are also leaving.
    I saw the part about Aidy leaving after posting but didn't realize Kyle is gone, too. He's had some great bits and his YT channel has some funny stuff on it with Beck (and maybe Heidi?) pre-SNL. Too bad. Hopefully, they are on to bigger things.

SNL is on my bucket list but JFC tickets are hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

What's funny is how the folks who loved SNL in the 80s/90s when Murphy and Piscapo were making fun of gay people now hate it because the new cast makes fun of bigots. Every single person I know who says SNL used to be funny but now it's just garbage is one of the boomer bigots they now destroy. Anyone catch the "I'm stupid and I vote" sketch last night? Ya, bet you didn't think that was funny LOL..
    Kyle Mooney is one of the funniest people on the show. Baby Yoda and Bruce Chandling were just hilarious.

https://youtu.be/JqBi4ktjVyI

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^ Those are good. This is one of my favs.

A coworker turned me on to a podcast called "Fly on the Wall" with Dana Carvey and David Spade, and it interviews cast members/players, hosts, writers, etc talking about the show and comedy in general. Pretty fascinating to me. One salient bit to this was Spade mentioning his era of castmates, him, Sandler, Rock, Farley, etc being panned at the time with the refrain of "SNL used to be funny, the current casts sucks, the previous generation was the best" and now his era get that argument. It's just human nature.

I loved Kyle Mooney and will miss him, I didn't like his Baby Yoda stuff but a lot of his other stuff was great. He had some SoCal skater punk skits a couple years back that I thought were hilarious, it's always fun to see SoCal influence in an NYC and east-coast-dominated show ("The Californians" soap opera skits were outstanding, on point and the traffic routes they described actually work out when you know and think about it). I really liked Kate McKinnon, she's super-talented and oddly I was grateful to see her appearances tapered off a bit in recent seasons to avoid the Kristen Wiig syndrome of her being everywhere and everything. I have no issue with Cecily, but I've never really liked or gotten Aidy Bryant. Maybe it's the genteel southern accents? Loved Pete Davidson, will miss him but it's time.

I guess my beef with Bowen (and hence my sarcasm above) is that his characters are the same the majority of the time, the bitchy gay dude trope. His appearance as the iceberg that sank the Titanic on Update was hilarious though ("I WAS AT MY HOME, IN THE OCEAN, MINDING MY BUSINESS!")

Unrelated to the ongoing discussion, but back to that podcast, one of my favorite elements of SNL is the impressionism and hearing Carvey and various people deconstruct that art was fascinating to me. Tina Fey's Sarah Palin, and a recent episode with James Austin Johnson's Trump and Biden were worth a listen. Jimmy Stewart in Biden...yeah, it's there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    I guess my beef with Bowen (and hence my sarcasm above) is that his characters are the same the majority of the time, the bitchy gay dude trope.
    Agreed. He's more or less been typecast as the token gay guy on the show. I think he's a funny dude and deserves to be a bit more than this.

The entertainment Saturday night. WTF. Was that?

I caught a Chinese make pop music too. Vibe
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I've listened to that podcast as well, and it's pretty interesting. To be honest, I've generally found both of them (as comedians) kinda annoying, but they're insightful and likable as themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I've listened to that podcast as well, and it's pretty interesting. To be honest, I've generally found both of them (as comedians) kinda annoying, but they're insightful and likable as themselves.
    Dana Carvey is a down to earth and nice guy. David Spade is, or at least was in the late 90s & early 00s a raging asshole.

I still think Spade is pretty funny. Carvey, on the other hand, hasn't seemed to update his comedy since the '90s. I hear him still doing Ross Perot impressions and things like that. Come on, man, how about an impression of someone who's still alive?
    [I haven't heard their podcast, though]

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Now if they can just get rid of Cecily Strong. I never find any of her material funny.
    Her MTG is spot on.. as is that girl you wish you hadn't started a conversation with at the party..
    Keenan Thomson's gonna outlive the show.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

It’s probably mentioned in that podcast - but I read somewhere that when you’re cast onto SNL you share an office with a cast mate. But when Spade and others were cast they decided they wanted to combine 4 into the same office - Spade, Farley, Sandler, and Rock.

Now to be a fly on the wall listening to those 4 make each other laugh woulda been something.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Dana Carvey is a down to earth and nice guy. David Spade is, or at least was in the late 90s & early 00s a raging asshole.
    Yeah, Spade could very well still be an asshole IRL, but he's toned down on the podcast and their dynamic works. Maybe it's from them both being a little in the shadows of Adam Sandler, Chris Rock (for Spade) and Mike Myers - who I find insufferable - for Carvey (easily the greater talent). Kindred spirits, in a way.

I believed Kate Mckinnon each time she played someone, even (& especially) as it was so over the top
    she crushed
    still miss Leslie Jones

Kate was my favorite for this cast by an order of magnitude.

Keenan is both the glue and the guy who needs to go if they want a real major update.

I can't wait to see who steps into Aidy, Kate's, Pete's, and Kyle's airtime the next two years.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.