Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: SNL

Meh. 70s probably the best incarnation, late 80s very strong as was most of the 90s. Has sucked since on the whole.

SNL is IMO, a dinosaur, a throw-back to the world pre-inner-net. Kinda fun once in a while to make a buhwheet sammich once tice fee times a-wAAdie or reach for a schmidts gay or sweetriver banes or all kindsa shit they are trying hard to make never happen.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I agree, McKinnon is pretty funny. I find Michael Che to be pretty hilarious. And I thought Bill Hader and Seth Meyers were both very funny.
    Current cast doesn't have a superstar, which hurts them, but McKinnon is fantastic, Strong is excellent, Che and Jost are excellent. Yang and Fineman will be very good. I actually really like Davidson. Top to bottom the cast is as solid as it's ever been right now, but I think they need that superstar. The writing now is ok/solid, but they dont' hit some of the high notes of years past. maybe they need that one superstar writer too.

That said, I watch it and when I do almost always enjoy multiple skits, while thinking multiple skits are really awful.

And can the PLEASE fix the damn sound for the musical acts? Good lord.

Those old 70’s and 80’s casts had just as many garbage skits as now.

There were some gems though.

Bad Idea Jeans. Happy Fun Ball.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    maybe they need that one superstar writer too.
    Probably just more cocaine.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    And can the PLEASE fix the damn sound for the musical acts? Good lord.
    Yeaaahhh, that's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I agree. You go back and watch some of the early shows and there are more misses than hits. Same thing now.

The Mulaney show last Saturday was the first one I've caught this season. I thought it was decent. The headless horseman sketch was funny even if they dragged it out a little long. The only current cast member that sort of annoys me is Cecily Strong. I don't understand her appeal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The only current cast member that sort of annoys me is Cecily Strong. I don't understand her appeal at all.
    she does a good jeanine pirro

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I agree. You go back and watch some of the early shows and there are more misses than hits. Same thing now.

The Mulaney show last Saturday was the first one I've caught this season. I thought it was decent. The headless horseman sketch was funny even if they dragged it out a little long. The only current cast member that sort of annoys me is Cecily Strong. I don't understand her appeal at all.
    Didn't you just know that headless horseman sketch was going to go long from the first joke? It's Lauren's trademark go-to: come up with a joke that's kind of funny, put the best version up front and repeat until the joke is that the latest person to join the sketch hasn't already heard it. There are worse things. It usually works. But the predictable joke is pretty predictable.

Still, John Mulaney carried that well. He should join the five timers' club.

‘SNL’ the same as it ever was
    Viewers have been complaining about the show’s decline almost since it premiered in 1975. But it’s always been uneven.

Q. I liked your piece on the best political impressions on “Saturday Night Live.” Two questions: How could you leave out Melissa McCarthy’s Sean Spicer? And am I right in thinking that “SNL” is worse than ever?

A. Well the first answer is easy. The list was restricted to presidents, vice presidents, and those who’ve run for those offices. So McCarthy’s Spicer was not eligible. Likewise a few other strong impressions, including Kate McKinnon’s Jeff Sessions, Matt Damon’s Brett Kavanaugh, Cecily Strong’s Melania Trump, and Beck Bennett’s Vladimir Putin. McKinnon’s Kellyanne Conway remains one of my favorites, political or otherwise, of the past few years.

The second question, to be honest, even though you seem awfully nice, has gotten a bit tired. People have been saying that “Saturday Night Live” is not what it used to be almost since it premiered in 1975. At this point, some 46 seasons on, the not-what-it-used-to-be concept is just part of its basic identity. In my opinion, the show has always had ups and downs, not only from cast to cast, but from sketch to sketch. Omnibus shows like “SNL” are almost by definition uneven. I rewatched season one not too long ago, and I was surprised at the amount of mediocrity folded into the brilliance of that era.

And our judgments are particularly subjective when it comes to comedy, so that one person’s classic sketch is another person’s sketch encapsulating everything that is wrong with the show. Often I’m shocked at how lame a political sketch is, given the number of writers on the show, and yet it’s a sketch everyone is talking about the next day. John Oliver and his writers also do one show per week, and their work is as consistently sharp as the “SNL” writing is not. One of the few times everyone appeared to feel the same excitement about something on “SNL” was Tina Fey’s Sarah Palin.

“SNL” is no longer restrained to Saturday nights, since the sketches are all available online after they air on TV. That means the show is more seen than ever, even if it’s worse than ever. Websites publish recaps of each episode because on Sunday and Monday, they create a rush of clicks from those who didn’t stay up late. While baby boomer institutions such as Rolling Stone magazine are in dire straits, “SNL” stays solid and continues to speak to people, including those who love it unconditionally, those for whom hope springs eternal, and those who need to see it just to confirm that is truly worse than ever.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/10/...e-it-ever-was/

While every skit doesn't always land, some still absolutely kill. Weekend update has never been better and if you didn't think Halloween night's show brought some laughs then check your sense of humor.
    The headless horseman bit was fucking hilarious.

SNL was good to me as a kid. I learned about the Meatwagon, ignorant sluts and male prostitution for examples.
    But the Halloween night I saw this, it opened my eyes...

12341234!

This not the network version, you can hear alot of Fbombs dropping live on TV.
    The history of this moment is epic.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

There were some gems though.
    True there were a lot of duds that you can skip past, but there's something about the old casts' energy that just hasn't been matched lately. The humor was definitely edgier then too. ESPECIALLY for the time considering it was on a regular broadcast station.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Probably just more cocaine.
    Haha. DEFINITELY a factor. They were pretty open about that and even casually mentioned their drug use somewhat frequently in their sketches. Too bad it was also the demise of a couple of the greats. RIP John Belushi and Chris Farley. Tragic what's happened to a good number of the cast actually!!! Gilda Radner, Phil Hartman, and too many others to list right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Chappelle is hosting next week, should be a good monologue at least.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Hopefully his monologue has a different tone than his last one.

I don't watch the show and haven't in years, I just don't watch regular TV. But this somewhat recent skit is damn funny:

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We watch it on Hulu later. Only takes an hour for the whole thing. Still some funny stuff to me, but when it’s not, whatever. And you can fast forward when musical guest is not our thing.
    Plenty of crap out there. It is less crappier that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    but there's something about the old casts' energy that just hasn't been matched lately.
    Mountains of cocaine will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Akroyd, Belushi, Murray, Radner, et al. Downhill since then. Eddie Murphy was great of course but couldn't carry the show by himself.
    Still had plenty of stinkers.

Chapelle hosting tonight should be good.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Chapelle hosting tonight should be good.
    there will be hilarity
    swing your fucking sword.

In at least through Giuliani's press conference. I kinda hope they keep working on it right through the show.

I hope it’s just getting delayed and not bumped by this fucking game!

WTF. I hate ND
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    WTF. I hate ND
    fuck ND
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    fuck ND
    I think I just climbed on that bandwagon. WTF

SNL

Joey Diaz would call that post game celebration a “Covidial situation”

Chappelle is the goat.