Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

shit in your touring pack that you added based on experience

XXX and I were discussing some binding repair stuff in the sled thread and he mentioned keeping hose clamps for macgyvering--a piece of kit I never would have thought of adding to my pack. What is something(s) that you have started carrying in your pack that isn't all that intuitive? Ya know, some shit you added after thinking back on what could have made a suboptimal backcountry experience a bit better?

For example, I always keep a little nalgene vial of listerine to use as an antiseptic or, obviously, if i got the stank bref.
    swing your fucking sword.

Small zip ties, medium zip ties, and large zip ties.

If you can’t fix it with zip ties, you better have plenty of duct tape.

Voile straps & extra FTP liners

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...for-skis/page4

How to mitigate binding fuckery ^^ involved in toe or heel failure IME, the day after the toe failure my buddies went and bought extra voile straps to carry, get the Titan straps cuz they are longer/ wider/ stronger

a few years ago we used the rope not for gear reapir but cuz the Guide had led us into a cliffed out shitty spot, sez " sorry guys, I fucked up" he pulls out his 5 meters of rope, we get down the feature much easier than it would have been without the rope and rope gets left there
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Leatherman tool or something with pliers, a metal container of some type to melt snow if necessary, small amount of bailing wire, a large enough saw to cut through some decent sized branches for firewood (G3 bonesaw does double duty on that).

For hut or multi day trips, the little hardman epoxy packets can be a lifesaver.

Always zip ties and ski straps.

Hose clamps aren't a bad idea.

Safety pins, a few pills of a few meds, paracord which doubles as fire starter, blood clot agent, moleskin, some other stuff including most of above
    Found a $5 saw a hware store that is pretty damn similar in dimension to g3 saw. Including enough handle to voile strap it to my shovel handle. May drill holes in wood handle to lighten it up more

A tiny monocular.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...saAsYMEALw_wcB

Sometimes shits far away and I can't see it.

A candle stub, some steel wool, and a ~4 inch piece of aluminum ski pole slit up the side to use with hose clamps to repair a pole.

And ABC stuff in the 1st aid kit - a couple/three simple airways, compresses, cpr mask, nitrile gloves.

I just ordered & received this, 'coz I realized that those short bits that come with the BD T-handle screwdriver won't reach through some bindings to reach the screws I still haven't decided if I'll use the T-handle with these bits, or carry the handle that came with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reminds me ... get some hose clamps.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

It's funny for me early on I went pretty aggro on carrying a large repair kit and now I think I'm down to a Skeletool, some bits, a couple foot hank of wire and a few ski straps. Plus a chunk of wax for gloppy days.

I usually ski with the same couple of guys who have decent gear so the likelyhood of issues has been low.

Lots of good stuff in here. I'll add glopstopper and one of those MSR dish scrapers. You'll wish you had it when you are dragging 5 lbs of snow on the bottom of your skins.

A half folded piece of cheap sleeping foam pad. Protects my pack from the inside from sharp edges of shovel most of the time, but also allows me (or me and my buddy) to sit comfortably on the snow (ice or log or wet bench or ...), holds snacks and other stuff on breaks. Used it as part of a splint, as an improvised bootfitting material. Weights and costs nothing.

A mini tube of Super Glue to close gashes and stop bleeding. Bonds skin in seconds.

A bandana... orange or red preferred.

A rescue whistle.

Stainless seizing wire and multi tool/pliers can fix a lot of things. I make a sheath by somewhat loosely wrapping my multi tool with the wire a few times, end up with about 6’ of wire.

+1 on the MSR dish brush/scraper thingamajig.

also +1 on the candle and water proof matches in a ziplock.

SOL bag and extra face mask. Extra socks are good maybe vapor barrier

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

BTW finally found hip pocket tool for boot pins cleaning (SOG Key Knife)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201101_061115.jpeg 
Views:	233 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	345825

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Small zip ties, medium zip ties, and large zip ties.

If you can’t fix it with zip ties, you better have plenty of duct tape.
    I should probably get different sizes, but yes, zip ties are in every pack I own.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...for-skis/page4

How to mitigate binding fuckery ^^ involved in toe or heel failure IME, the day after the toe failure my buddies went and bought extra voile straps to carry, get the Titan straps cuz they are longer/ wider/ stronger

a few years ago we used the rope not for gear reapir but cuz the Guide had led us into a cliffed out shitty spot, sez " sorry guys, I fucked up" he pulls out his 5 meters of rope, we get down the feature much easier than it would have been without the rope and rope gets left there
    I carry the Skeletool/bit kit/extender combo which allows for standard 1/8” hex bits that was suggested in this thread. I’m able to carry posi bits this way which has come in handy several times.

This scraper with a metal edge has saved many days. It does a great job at chipping away ice after a failed creek crossing or water bar hop.

https://www.newmoonski.com/product/s...YaAru5EALw_wcB

A bic lighter wrapped in an old bike inner tube. The rubber tube lights and spreads fire like napalm for a less miserable night out.

If actually getting stuck out for an overnight, having one of those small butane mini torches is gonna be way better for starting a fire.

Odds are good it'll be breezy so having to fumble with a bic lighter with numb fingers sucks. They'll prolly find you soon 'cuz of all the cussing.

I like the napalm bike tube idea though. Might cross use that one...

edit: and never shit in yer pack.

Just cut and slitted a 4" piece of pole as mentioned above. Great addition. Used a carbon cutoff disk on my dremel to do the slit. Small hose clamps on the shopping list. Thanks for the tip.

Stainless Steel lock wire

extra pole basket - has come been put to use twice for buddies. pretty helpful especially if a long skin back to car

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    extra pole basket - has come been put to use twice for buddies. pretty helpful especially if a long skin back to car
    I saw thinking of this and wondered if anyone carried one. I'm gonna throw one in.
    swing your fucking sword.

My side country days have taught me to an extra probe and beacon ( turned off) just in case I run into someone w/out. I always have an extra nug stashed, a couple of potassium pills and one of those small Boost oxygen bottles.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix