Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    The old dirty clif bar at the bottom of the bag. For when youre bonking so hard that you dont mind the dirt/sand embedded into the open end, and you don't care that its likely more than a season old. Pretty sure that clif bars dont go bad, ever.
    Spot on description, lol. I've found those cliff bars while cleaning out my pack in the summer. I end up leaving them cuz if the situation calls for it I'll definitely still eat the thing.

I still back new bars whenever I tour, but you never know when that 1/2 cliff bar will come in handy...

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Eat the emergency food seasonally is a priority for sure. Or in an emergency I may get really sick which is dumb and screws the whole concept up

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

On my FB Lee Lau is eating food from his cupboard that is 20 yrs old

hopefully they didnt use lead solder to hold the cans togetehr !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Gorilla tape is kinda useless under 0c. Is there any tape that actually work in the cold?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

we use a lot of electrical tape on patrol
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NFVFUM..._47hXFbF5H4H0B

Losing sunglasses can ruin a day quick. I keep a pair of these now.

shit in your touring pack that you added based on experience

This list is what I always have in the pack. I have a 32L Osprey Kode that I never have felt is large enough...time to up my kit and get a larger pack

Avy gear
    Map (maybe)
    Basic 1st Aid kit
    Emergency blanket
    Sam splint
    Duct tape
    Leatherman
    Zip ties - medium & large
    Extra AAAs
    A few extra Voile straps
    1 Spare powder basket
    Extra Binding pivot / skin loop parts
    Lighter & newspaper & TP in a ziplock

I gotta read through the tread again, there is some good advice in here.

Probably should add in lightweight mattress / foam, Imodium & more Tp, more ski straps, baling wire..

What is a good BC pack that can organize & carry all this stuff? I want something that can cinch tight for sidecountry but can also hold everything for spring / summer glacier slogs. Also has to carry kids skis across the bunny hill whenever all that’s happening again.

I’m probably in the market to upgrade the Kode. What size pack does the prepared mag use? 40 liters? Any bigger seems overkill for a day tour.

Checked the Patagonia Showshot(?) ones last year @ REI and they seemed really plain and underwhelming. I like the Ospery Kamber but maybe I’m partial to them, though the pockets and layout seem cluttered and undersized on my 32l Kode. Never really liked that pack...

Sorry for the thread-drift

stay outta my line

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post
    What is a good BC pack that can organize & carry all this stuff? I want something that can cinch tight for sidecountry but can also hold everything for spring / summer glacier slogs. Also has to carry kids skis across the bunny hill whenever all that’s happening again.

I’m probably in the market to upgrade the Kode. What size pack does the prepared mag use? 40 liters? Any bigger seems overkill for a day tour.

Checked the Patagonia Showshot(?) ones last year @ REI and they seemed really plain and underwhelming. I like the Ospery Kamber but maybe I’m partial to them, though the pockets and layout seem cluttered and undersized on my 32l Kode. Never really liked that pack...

I like the thread drift. Packs are always excellent discussion.

I use the alpha ar 35. Pretty terrible on the organizational side but lightweight and utilitarian. It is my touring, climbing, hiking, and sar pack. It expands and collapses well. It can easily fit 50+liters of shit but also carries 25 well when cinched down nice. +for the dedicated crampon and ice axe slots.

i'm always hearing good things about mystery ranch packs. the saddle peak looks good. has ample organizational shit. i'm gonna look into their d route pack for strictly resort days.
    swing your fucking sword.

shit in your touring pack that you added based on experience

This list is what I always have in the pack. I have a 32L Osprey Kode that I never have felt is large enough...time to up my kit and get a larger pack

Avy gear
    Map (maybe)
    Basic 1st Aid kit
    Emergency blanket
    Sam splint
    Duct tape
    Leatherman
    Extra AAAs
    A few extra Voile straps
    1 Spare powder basket

Probably should add in lightweight mattress / foam, Imodium & more Tp, more ski straps, baling wire..

You know, there’s nothing that says you can’t, (or couldn’t have someone else do it), sew on some straps to a big pack to cinch it down smaller.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Avy gear
    Map (maybe)
    Basic 1st Aid kit
    Emergency blanket
    Sam splint
    Duct tape
    Leatherman
    Extra AAAs
    A few extra Voile straps
    1 Spare powder basket

s
    I carry pretty similar kit on most days. I put everything that is repair/emergency/first aid in a crampon bag at the bottom of my pack, with an inside bag for the first aid stuff. Pretty quick to fish out and find what I need. Leatherman, little Voile scraper, lip balm and slope meter all go in the hip pocket for quick use. Voile straps go around ski poles for the same reason (and they make nice "choking up") grips.

Carry it all in a 40L patagonia descensionist on most every days from 2k dawn patrols to 5 day Haute Route. Compresses well, weights ~1000g.

-Leukotape. It's a cloth based tape (think duct tape, but made out of cloth so it is breathable) great for blister treatment (both prophylactic and after blisters happen) and you can use it to a wide variety of medical and gear needs- splinting, pole repair, as a better bandaid, etc. It's fairly lightweight.

-I added a Garmin inReach mini this year. I tour in places without phone service. I figure it could be the difference between an injured person spending the night out or getting an evac day of an incident. It also prevents having to leave an injured person to get to cell service. I'll also use it for trail running and mountaineering in areas without cell service during the summer. The 100 gram weight penalty and $12 per month subscription seem worth it.

-I have a dedicated headlamp that lives in my touring pack.

-Small multitool in hip belt pocket.

-Lighter

-Two-person space blanket. At 82 grams, it's a very small weight penalty for something that could save someone's life.

-I used to carry a fairly expansive med kit, but now I pretty much stick to leukotape on day tours.

Yes, an inReach or some type of two-way satellite comms.

Listen to a half dozen The Sharp End podcasts and how many of them went better or worse because of an inReach.

Quote Originally Posted by Choucas View Post
    Just cut and slitted a 4" piece of pole as mentioned above. Great addition. Used a carbon cutoff disk on my dremel to do the slit. Small hose clamps on the shopping list. Thanks for the tip.
    Note that 3 hose clamps are way better than 2 for the pole splint kit. A clamp near each end and one right in the middle where the pole is broken. Otherwise the splint isn't very strong and will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by V-rex View Post
    Note that 3 hose clamps are way better than 2 for the pole splint kit. A clamp near each end and one right in the middle where the pole is broken. Otherwise the splint isn't very strong and will fail.
    How many people have actually broken a ski pole on a tour? And if you do it once every 8 years why is it worth carrying 2 or 3 oz. of pole splinting kit?

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    How many people have actually broken a ski pole on a tour? And if you do it once every 8 years why is it worth carrying 2 or 3 oz. of pole splinting kit?
    Since I originally brought it up, I’ll just point out that the thread subject includes “based on experience.”

Unfortunately, or not, it hasn’t happened again, but that repair piece weighs less than the beer I sometimes carry. And it gives me just as much comfort as the beer.

The beer can be part of the repair too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	signal-2020-11-19-142450.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	350496

I got a Dakine apex mtn bike hydration pack which I like, its a pretty good bike pack so i figured why not try it for skiing ?

As it turns out that day I had to carry the skis on the pack which truly sucked cuz the pack suspension was not up to the task of that much weight

SO for folks who want to try and get away with a tiny chicken shit pack try carrying yer skis on it first

I forgot my poles for a tour so i just went over to the snow fence and ripped out 2 piece of boo, with some hassle I still managed to ski the steepest run at the hankin but when we got back to the p-lot that bamboo was completely thrashed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    The beer can be part of the repair too.
    beer then duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I have broken 3 poles in the backcountry. The first time I ran back to the car to grab a spare and then back to meet up with my partners adding 3ish miles to the day. Second time I managed to "fix" it with a AAA battery on the inside and a beer can wrapped around the outside with duct tape. That kinda worked but was very wobbly. The third time I had the repair kit mentioned above but only two clamps and it worked ok but I couldn't really pole plant without the pole bending, hence the recommendation of three clamps. Backcountry skiing with one pole sucks, also hose clamps can be used for other repairs and shenanigans.

My biggest based-on-experience addition has been a really warm puffy, even on pretty warm days. It's a nice margin of comfort if I get to sweaty before I hit the windy ridgeline, and it turns into a safety device if something goes sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Listen to a half dozen The Sharp End podcasts and how many of them went better or worse because of an inReach.
    BTW, Sharp End is such a great podcast. More climbing related, but so many good lessons by others mistakes or misfortune

The Fine Line is another good rescue podcast if you're into that sort of thing.

Conversation from the 'sticky ski' thread, maybe worth adding some kind of solvent for skin glue on skis? One of us always seems to have old crappy skins.
    We used to carry a little F4 for the skate out - but haven't in a while.
    north bound horse.

Last year i bought a millwmet peuterey 35+10 backpack. Carries a lot of weight with a good suspension. Well organized, impressive pack.
    It replaces my custom made McHale pack without loss of performance.

Sorry, that was a millet peuterey backpack