Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I used to like the polartec 100, 100S, 200, 300 fleece pants as a insulation layer for skiing/ paddling or on their own, but I haven't really seen fleece pants as a staple of the out door scene for > 10 yrs, I don't know why ... maybe they are not cool enough ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I used to like the polartec 100, 100S, 200, 300 fleece pants as a insulation layer for skiing/ paddling or on their own, but I haven't really seen fleece pants as a staple of the out door scene for > 10 yrs, I don't know why ... maybe they are not cool enough ?
    Hippies trying to reduce plastic use, thinner fabric to warmth ratio with wool, and wool doesn't stink over time like synthetics. Fleece probably would have never been as successful as it was if wool companies would have figured out how to make it not itch back in the day like they have now. Comparing side by side personally, I find that wool absorbs sweat better while still insulating and "breathes" it out better. I don't feel as clammy with wool as I do with fleece. And if you smell the fleece in my old kayak gear bag, it's a pretty easy choice. Wasn't as big of a deal when I didn't care about being single and sleeping in my truck more than my bed (futon in a rented room at a buddy's house),

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    They don’t wear out, and don’t go out of fashion (cause nobody sees them), so companies that rely on rapid turnover aren’t interested. Taiga still make em.

I still have lots of fleece, some of it is > 20 yars old, it doesnt smell if you don't use it for base layer, it doesnt really wear out whereas wool gets a hole if you look at it

I never had any Taiga fleece but I had MEC fleece, they made tons of fleece before they took the mountain out of the logo to get into yoga clothes and running
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For paddling or skiing, I usually wear wool boxers and wool base layer top under my drysuit. If it's really cold, another base layer type layer on top of both or just a thicker base layer. For skiing, wool base layer top, wool boxers, and 3/4 wool knickers. Synthetic puffy under out layers on the top. I run pretty hot but my body fat content is a little higher due to lifestyle choices. So unless it's a puffy of some sort, all of my insulation will touch my skin at some point or another. Some of my wool has holes after many years, some doesn't. It still insulates and it other clothes so no one notices the ratty nature.

It's funny how you always defend the way you do things. There's nothing wrong with how you do it if it works for you. I still have fleece in the mix and use it sometimes but rarely-one of my old Pat fleeces is in my dry bag on every raft trip and has been for 20ish years. I find the defensive tone towards the way others do things kinda funny though. I did just get rid of my last HH Lifa stuff during a quarantine clean out. Man that had some funk on it.

I'm tempted by these... relatively cheap for insulated pants, light, synthetic, full zip, packable, like that they're shorts vs. full pants
    https://www.mammut.com/us/en/p/1023-...in-shorts-men/
    ...But not available

I run a combo of firstlite ultralight 3/4 base layer then a Smartwool 3/4 heavy over the top on my lower half. I run warm and this combo keeps me warm down to low teens/upper single digits.

Favorite 3/4 mid layer pant?

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    I'm tempted by these... relatively cheap for insulated pants, light, synthetic, full zip, packable, like that they're shorts vs. full pants
    https://www.mammut.com/us/en/p/1023-...in-shorts-men/
    ...But not available
    I have those. I love them. They’re zippered on the side and removable without having to take all of your shit off. If the men’s are out of stock, get the women’s version. They are exactly the same.

Edit: I was wrong. I have the Helly Hansen version: LifaLoft. Men’s same as Women’s.

https://www.evo.com/synthetic/helly-...-jacket-womens

Yeah those HH ones look pretty great as well. Also these from Ortovox - also $160, lighter at 190 g's and maybe more wool insulation?
    https://www.ortovox.com/us-en/shop/m...z-boe-shorts-m

Maybe this is a better option!? Sure you'll get catcalls, but think of the increased airflow...
    https://www.rei.com/product/857166/s...ort-down-skirt

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

^^^ another interesting option... do they have in a tartan?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiepoison View Post
    This is the way I feel and why I started this thread. I felt for sure I had to be missing something but I just haven't seen much out there. Most of the options suggested so far are essentially heavier weight merino base layers or you end up with overbuilt and expensive mid layers. I have marino base layers, and CW-X compression tights, but find that sometimes they aren't warm enough on their own with just a Gore-tex shell (I've got a knee injury as well that haunts me on cold days). Just something to split the difference like a simple 3/4 fleece seems like a no brainer and there are a million options for jackets in this vein. Seems weird to me more manufacturers haven't made something like this. I could move to an insulated pair of pants, but again would rather not spend a bunch of $$ on another gore-tex outer layer just to get a bit more warmth.
    I replaced (returned for warranty) my leaking Patagonia Snowdrifter Bibs with Untracked Pants, which don’t have quite enough space for my ancient Taiga 200 weight fleece pants (cut off to boot length). Necessity motivated a solution I’d been considering for ages. I borrowed a sewing machine, took a pair of old Icebreaker Shifter Merino Fleece sweatpants I had stashed, cut the hem to boot length, tapered the inside leg seam, sewed shut the pockets, used the excess leg material to sew on a but patch, and added a heavy duty draw string. I’m not a particularly skilled seamstress, but they turned out great, and work perfectly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1643564687.431861.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	403539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1643564731.742428.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	470.6 KB 
ID:	403540

The king of midlayer pants. Can somebody get something similar remade please? Or sell me a sheet of alpha so I can sew them myself

Name:	9F846C95-C7DE-40F0-8913-E5125AF1502D.jpeg 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	403554

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    The king of midlayer pants. Can somebody get something similar remade please? Or sell me a sheet of alpha so I can sew them myself

Name:	9F846C95-C7DE-40F0-8913-E5125AF1502D.jpeg 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	403554
    I had got 3/4 alpha pants made by https://www.farpointeog.com/ the fit/cut feels a bit homemade vs something from norona but they've been working great. 90 weight outside with 60 alpha on the inside leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Relica View Post
    I had got 3/4 alpha pants made by https://www.farpointeog.com/ the fit/cut feels a bit homemade vs something from norona but they've been working great. 90 weight outside with 60 alpha on the inside leg.
    Sweet, thanks for the tip!

I've had a bunch of 3/4 baselayer pants from Smartwool, Arc'teryx, Mon Royale, etc. - the best by far are the Le Bent 200 . . . softest, least scratchy and they actually have a fly.

I have 2 pairs of Smartwool 3/4…..150 and 250. They are good enough for me, but there are probably others that are better.

Favorite 3/4 mid layer pant?

I’m still rocking a pair of thick fleece Cloudveil 3/4 base layers on cold days. Perfect under my GorePro hard shells down to about zero degrees. They’ve survived since 2007 or so and even took a ski pole tip through the upper thigh that split them open for about 8” (barely missed The Boys). The elastic is finally wearing out though so I’ll be looking again in the next couple years. My 150 weight Icebreaker is also great for touring so I’ll probably go towards their 250 weight in same model

I cut off my old USArmy brown polypropylene long John pants just under the knee. Warm and no one knows any better.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    More cowbell!!!

I just grab some athletic warmup synthetic pants from Target of varying thicknesses. Doesn't need to be 3/4, the open leg design goes right over the top of the boot.

I picked up some of those norrona down and primaloft knickers and they're the shit underneath my bibs. I had no idea they used to make them with alpha insulation though. Seems like alpha would be a better choice than down in a mid but in the handful of days I've worn them they've been fantastic. Warm, light, breathable, and comfortable enough that I forget they're on.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I have a pair of insulated, full zip pants from Swix, they made a short version too. They are a traditional insulation, nothing active insulation. Not a big deal for inbounds, I unzip and remove them before I get sweaty.
    Not sure if they are still around.
    My family all have the Backcountry version of the Axion, still pricy at retail, but we found them on sale.

I like @Lindahls idea too.

One of the issues I faced in the past when trying to utilize old fleece pants under shells is the additional bulk of the waistband under either my ski pants or my pants/zip off bibs. So if you can find a pair of fleece pants with a minimalist waist band set up - no belts, extra bulky drawstrings, zip fly, etc. you can probably make it work.

My go to after getting rid of insulated pants from my clothing quiver:

- Haglofs 3/4 insulated pants - https://www.haglofs.com/fi/en-fi/bar...3722-2C5.html? - like them not bulky but plenty warm under a shell pant - low pro-waist band, etc. I've had them for the past 4-5 seasons as the 3/4 insulated layer popped up a few years ago. Likely very similar to stio/etc. brands in this regard. I bought mine off TrekInn from Europe and cost me about $65-70 shipped to states. Bought at the end of the season so they were discounted...
    - modified Patagucci R1 grid fleece pants - cut 'em down to fit just above boot top
    - double up on lightweight merino 3/4 layers

I am likely to next try some of thicker knits of merino 3/4 so I can get away with 1 layer again as the double layer lightweight set up is kinda hard to work with sometimes... First world problems I know.....

I got a 220 weight icebreaker knee length base layer that fits well with knee pads and a variety of soft shell and hard shell pants.

A friend of mine is making fleece mid/base layers up in Vermont. Reasonable prices and good quality: https://www.molahoods.com/product-pa...baselayer-pant