Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite 3/4 mid layer pant?

Wondering what pant layer you guys are using for cold days when a little extra warmth is needed. I like the idea of 3/4 pants to avoid having to bunch it up above the boot but it doesn't seem like there are a ton of options and I think a down pant would be way too much. Found these but they may still be more warmth than needed and are a little $$ when just a cheap fleece would probably suffice.

https://www.stio.com/products/mens-f...ulated-knicker

Anyone have a favorite piece of gear that would fit the bill that they can recommend?

Smartwool makes a great knicker...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I like the minus 33 mid weight 3/4. I also have smart wool 3/4. The merino will breathes so well and temp range is really good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Icebreaker 3/4 knicker 150 weight. Perfect for touring under a hard shell. Plenty warm on most resort days

Norrona made a 3/4 pant out of polartec alpha that is literally the shit. So sad they discontinued it, people don't know how much of a gem those pants are.

I think HH makes some primaloft 3/4s that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I like the minus 33 mid weight 3/4. I also have smart wool 3/4. The merino will breathes so well and temp range is really good.

Ditto.
    I have -33, probably my favorite. Also, I'm old and my knees hurt on really cold days. Having full length and doubling/ folding them up over my knees isn't the worst thing.

First lite (hunting brand) has some great base layers and has a couple weights of boot top bottoms. Also can get them in zip off if you wanted. They usually have a good sale at thanksgiving.

https://www.firstlite.com/collection...oot-top-bottom

I am a 3/4 legging gear whore...

As such I own a bunch of different options for different purposes.

Cold resort skiing: SmartWool 250 weight merino

Cold touring: Northern Playground 3/4 Merino Ziplongs. Can be removed mid tour without taking your boots off

Normal touring: Outdoor Research 3/4 Enigma bottoms. Drirelease with a bit of merino. Use them with no underwear, awesome high output base layer

For truly frigid resort days, I kinda want to try the Arcteryx Axino 3/4 or maybe the Patagonia Nano Air pant (although it’s not 3/4 length).

That stuff from Minus 33 looks great too. As does the 3/4 merino bottoms from Mons Royale...

Lots of good choices out there.

Arcteryx Axino
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Nike 3/4 soccer knickers over 3/4 merino base layer on frigid days for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a market opportunity for a purpose built 3/4 length fleece mid layer, with crotch ventilation and extra padding on the seat for long chairlift rides. Those Stio and Arcteryx pants are expensive and over built, there’s no need for a shelled mid layer.

Took an old mid weight capilene bottom and cut them below the knees. Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post

As such I own a bunch of different options for different purposes.

Cold resort skiing: SmartWool 250 weight merino

Cold touring: Northern Playground 3/4 Merino Ziplongs. Can be removed mid tour without taking your boots off

Normal touring: Outdoor Research 3/4 Enigma bottoms. Drirelease with a bit of merino. Use them with no underwear, awesome high output base layer

For truly frigid resort days, I kinda want to try the Arcteryx Axino 3/4 or maybe the Patagonia Nano Air pant (although it’s not 3/4 length).

That stuff from Minus 33 looks great too. As does the 3/4 merino bottoms from Mons Royale...

Lots of good choices out there.
    Mons Royale Shaun Off are great. You can normally find them on decent sales.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Northern playground

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Cut off a pair of polartec powerstretch pants to whatever height you like. Cheap and easy!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Cut off a pair of polartec powerstretch pants to whatever height you like. Cheap and easy!
    That's what I've started doing for 3/4 base layer pants. There's better variety in full length pants and, for whatever reason, they're often cheaper. Some fabric tape or fabric glue at the seam and presto.

I have found cw -x tights to work really well. I have had multiple knee surgeries and appreciate the compression and warmth

https://cw-x.com/product/stabilyx-me...bute_pa_size=l

Never paid full price either - can find them on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Definitely a market opportunity for a purpose built 3/4 length fleece mid layer, with crotch ventilation and extra padding on the seat for long chairlift rides. Those Stio and Arcteryx pants are expensive and over built, there’s no need for a shelled mid layer.
    This is the way I feel and why I started this thread. I felt for sure I had to be missing something but I just haven't seen much out there. Most of the options suggested so far are essentially heavier weight merino base layers or you end up with overbuilt and expensive mid layers. I have marino base layers, and CW-X compression tights, but find that sometimes they aren't warm enough on their own with just a Gore-tex shell (I've got a knee injury as well that haunts me on cold days). Just something to split the difference like a simple 3/4 fleece seems like a no brainer and there are a million options for jackets in this vein. Seems weird to me more manufacturers haven't made something like this. I could move to an insulated pair of pants, but again would rather not spend a bunch of $$ on another gore-tex outer layer just to get a bit more warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiepoison View Post
    This is the way I feel and why I started this thread. I felt for sure I had to be missing something but I just haven't seen much out there. Most of the options suggested so far are essentially heavier weight merino base layers or you end up with overbuilt and expensive mid layers. I have marino base layers, and CW-X compression tights, but find that sometimes they aren't warm enough on their own with just a Gore-tex shell (I've got a knee injury as well that haunts me on cold days). Just something to split the difference like a simple 3/4 fleece seems like a no brainer and there are a million options for jackets in this vein. Seems weird to me more manufacturers haven't made something like this. I could move to an insulated pair of pants, but again would rather not spend a bunch of $$ on another gore-tex outer layer just to get a bit more warmth.
    I bought a cabelas 300 weight primaloft fleece pant for the really crispy days. Mtn hardware has a new monkey man pant. NF has a knock off also. The cabelas one is legit unfortunately they they don’t make it anymore. But it breathes and is warm.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by nickbokhoven View Post
    I have found cw -x tights to work really well. I have had multiple knee surgeries and appreciate the compression and warmth

https://cw-x.com/product/stabilyx-me...bute_pa_size=l

Never paid full price either - can find them on sale.

2nd'd.

The insulated version.

Size up if you don't want as much of a ball crushing experience.

Not everyone believes in compression benefits. I wouldn't say it's night and day, but I definitely think there's a benefit in terms of fatigue and next day soreness.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    2nd'd.

The insulated version.

Size up if you don't want as much of a ball crushing experience.

Not everyone believes in compression benefits. I wouldn't say it's night and day, but I definitely think there's a benefit in terms of fatigue and next day soreness.
    3rd'd, but I haven't seen the insulated version on their website lately.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    3rd'd, but I haven't seen the insulated version on their website lately.
    Right you are. Bummer. 2XU, UA, nike, etc all make insulated 3/4 tights but I haven't tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Northern playground
    Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    How is the sizing on the Northern Playground? With them being a Euro company, do I need to size up?

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    First lite (hunting brand) has some great base layers and has a couple weights of boot top bottoms. Also can get them in zip off if you wanted. They usually have a good sale at thanksgiving.

Seconded on these.

I'm a cw-x fan. The insulated ones don't breath as well as I would like. I usually go non-insulated cw-x with shell pants and if it is cold, I add a smartwool or other merino layer over the top. If it is REALLY cold, I go insulated cw-x plus a merino layer.