Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB lightweight puffy pants

I'm wanting to pick up a pair of compressible, lightweight, puffy pants to keep in my ski pack. I'm tired of my bulky fleece pants. Down or synthetic works as long as < 1 pound, 34ish waist (medium in about everything if you have something that doesn't list an actual waist size). Not wanting to spend more than about $50 + shipping if possible, maybe a little more depending on condition. This will just live in my pack most the time, so I don't care if they're patched up, stained, ugly, as long as they are functional. Anybody have something like that collecting dust?

Side-zips or partial side-zips are nice if you ever want to put them on over ski boots. Pretty much every time I wear my puffy pants I'm camping or waiting- waiting for the refrozen snow to turn to corn; waiting to see what a patchy thunder cloud is going to do before heading up a ridge, waiting for the stove to warm up a hut- so I just throw them on over my ski pants without removing boots. Another use would be putting them on an injured skier. Zips would help here too. I have a (much) older version of these that work well.

Not for sale though.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Side-zips or partial side-zips are nice if you ever want to put them on over ski boots. Pretty much every time I wear my puffy pants I'm camping or waiting- waiting for the refrozen snow to turn to corn; waiting to see what a patchy thunder cloud is going to do before heading up a ridge, waiting for the stove to warm up a hut- so I just throw them on over my ski pants without removing boots. Another use would be putting them on an injured skier. Zips would help here too. I have a (much) older version of these that work well.

Not for sale though.
    Good point on zips (although adds weight), and those montbells are nice, just more coin than I want to spend. I'm really just wanting some lower body insulation for emergency bivouacs. I used to just haul a fat girl along, but that became problematic.

Stumbled on these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Naturehike-...r=542840644597

Might be okay for emergencies, weight is decent, 800 "bulkiness" lol. Would assume that means fill power. Would rather buy a used known brand tho.

I have a nice pair of full zip Wild Things epic primoloft pants I would consider selling. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    I have a nice pair of full zip Wild Things epic primoloft pants I would consider selling. Shoot me a PM if interested.
    PM incoming

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If you find something that works well, please share that knowledge. Thanks. Real mountaineering puffy pants are super expensive and probably overkill. Those ebay and amazon pants look sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I'm wanting to pick up a pair of compressible, lightweight, puffy pants to keep in my ski pack. I'm tired of my bulky fleece pants. Down or synthetic works as long as < 1 pound, 34ish waist (medium in about everything if you have something that doesn't list an actual waist size). Not wanting to spend more than about $50 + shipping if possible, maybe a little more depending on condition. This will just live in my pack most the time, so I don't care if they're patched up, stained, ugly, as long as they are functional. Anybody have something like that collecting dust?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I bought a pair of military surplus pants with primaloft insulation. Far from light weight or easily compressed, but they have full side zips, were cheap and are warm. Good for car camping and hanging around in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    If you find something that works well, please share that knowledge. Thanks. Real mountaineering puffy pants are super expensive and probably overkill. Those ebay and amazon pants look sketchy.
    They do look a little sketchy, but that company has gotten pretty good reviews on some of their tents over the years. Although, I bought some chinese down booties on ebay several years ago and thought I was taking a gamble. Quality and construction is top notch, removable/waterproof shell, every bit as good as name brands. Will try to post info later on those, not sure you can even get them any more.

I try to avoid the Chinese knockoff type stuff and support name brands, but hard to justify $150+ for an emergency item that will rarely get used.

edit to add down bootie link: Wow, I think these were less than $50 bucks when I bought mine off ebay several years ago, they are now $125. I knew the quality was good, I think they had just started out when I picked up mine. Good booties, but not cheap any more! Looks like they are made in S. Korea.

https://www.zerogramgear.com/1832745393/?idx=158
    Last edited by 3PinGrin; 10-30-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I bought a pair of military surplus pants with primaloft insulation. Far from light weight or easily compressed, but they have full side zips, were cheap and are warm. Good for car camping and hanging around in the cold.
    Those are probably similar to the old cabela's style I had but just too bulky and heavy. My fleece is actually lighter and more compressible.

Here are some like the above linked pants but with side zips. I doubt this down is ethically harvested and I will refrain from ordering naturehike, but there is some comedic value at least. Based on reviews, they are "fully hot chan chan" and "nicer good" so probably top notch, lol. And then there is this at the bottom of the page, "Basque sells the same price tag the same and can measure and eat all the growth".

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyone have Patagonia Nano Puff pants that can speak to sizing being true to the size chart? Says a Large is 34 waist. Found a good deal on those new if nothing else pans out. (sent a PM Soups, let me know soon if you can, thanks!)

My Nano Puffs have relaxed elastic and feel like a 36 to me. If you are putting them over some pants and you're a medium they will likely be baggy. If the elastic is stretched and you are a 34 you may run out of velcro on the cinch tabs of a large.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    My Nano Puffs have relaxed elastic and feel like a 36 to me. If you are putting them over some pants and you're a medium they will likely be baggy. If the elastic is stretched and you are a 34 you may run out of velcro on the cinch tabs of a large.
    good info, sounds like large would be too big, thanks!

Anyone have Patagonia Nano Puff pants that can speak to sizing being true to the size chart? Says a Large is 34 waist. Found a good deal on those new if nothing else pans out. (sent a PM Soups, let me know soon if you can, thanks!)
    Where u find a deal? I also want

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Where u find a deal? I also want
    PMd ya, but for others that may be interested: https://thetroutshop.com/products/pa...gn=sag_organic

PMd ya, but for others that may be interested: https://thetroutshop.com/products/pa...gn=sag_organic
    That is a good price but they have no side zippers. Older nano puffs have side zippers

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    That is a good price but they have no side zippers. Older nano puffs have side zippers
    Yeah, I'm starting to think I would regret not having side zips for the reasons ISBD pointed out. I know that I hate rain pants without them for getting on and off while hiking/backpacking.

I ordered Pnuma insulator pants. They’re on sale for 120. Full side zip

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I ordered Pnuma insulator pants. They’re on sale for 120. Full side zip
    I looked at those, but 30 oz for a large. Definitely looking for something lighter.

Full side zips on both sides are mandatory. this allows you to put them on under your shell pants without taking boots or shells off. Better than pulling them over the op of your shells.
    I'm looking at ordering a pair of the Helly Hansen 3/4 LifaLoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Full side zips on both sides are mandatory. this allows you to put them on under your shell pants without taking boots or shells off. Better than pulling them over the op of your shells.
    I'm looking at ordering a pair of the Helly Hansen 3/4 LifaLoft.
    Well, I've survived 40 years with non-side zip wool then fleece, so I don't know about mandatory, but better for sure.

WTB lightweight puffy pants

Well, I've survived 40 years with non-side zip wool then fleece, so I don't know about mandatory, but better for sure.
    I take them in my pack while skinning. I wear just marino 200 weight bottoms and hard shells. I start off really cold in the morning, but once moving and sweating I'm comfortable. If the weather drastically changes, or if we stop for an extended lunch, or wait for group member at the top, or stand around while doing some pit work, spotting a line for a buddy, or anything that is not moving I'll get cold with 2 very thin layers only.
    I pull out these pants from my bag I f I want an additional layer that I can put on under my wind/waterproof layer. With double zips I can quickly drop my shells and zip on the insulated pants and I'm good to go. Or if I have bibs on I can undo the large leg zip and shove them into the bibs and zip them up.
    To me a double zip is mandatory to put them on mid day, while wearing may boots, under my hard shell layer.
    Do you take your boots off in the field, mid day if you want to layer up?
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 10-30-2020 at 06:02 PM.

It would have to be -40F and windy for me to want skin in them, ha.

I have never changed bottom layers in my softshell pants touring except very occasionally throwing on a light shell.

I could never skin with a puffy layer on, top or bottom. When do you plan to use these 3PG?