Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best Boot Work in SLC

Looking for recommendations for good boot work around Salt Lake. Got 2 pair of intuitions to mold and looking for a custom foot bed as well. Had some work done at a certain shop on foothill drive last season and wasn't too impressed. Whats your favorite boot fitter in Salt lake?

Steve Bagley, shop was formerly in Christy's at the Bird, but he's since retired. Tragic.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I’ve had good luck with Mandy at mill creek level 9. Best? I would not know since only person I’ve worked with here. I’m sure you could go to PC and pay more if you wanted. Are they the best?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Two years ago Mandy cooked the stock Intuitions in my Maestrale. One boot needed a touch of grinding. They turned out perfect.

Carey at the Alta ski shop at the Albion basin. He’s been fitting boots for over 20 years. That shop has never been on the radar of a lot of skiers but he knows his stuff. I’ve read some people say good things about Mandy on here but I know her personally and would never let her touch any of my gear. If you really want to get crazy there are 2 guys in PC who do custom fitting for racers but it’s next level pricing.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Derrick and Jeremy at the Sport Loft. I just got new boots there and if you need any kind of custom footbed I can't recommend them enough. They know their way around a foot

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Carey at the Alta ski shop at the Albion basin. He’s been fitting boots for over 20 years. That shop has never been on the radar of a lot of skiers but he knows his stuff. I’ve read some people say good things about Mandy on here but I know her personally and would never let her touch any of my gear. If you really want to get crazy there are 2 guys in PC who do custom fitting for racers but it’s next level pricing.

Next level mean more that earl at the sports loft? He's really good but super spendy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I think Earl is retired but if I had to get some custom work that I was going to have to pay for regardless of where I went the Sports Loft would be my choice. Spend five minutes in their shop and watch how they work and the difference is amazing. The best boots I ever had came from Earl, about six years ago. At that time they charged for all the punching / adjustments I needed. When it was time to replace the boots I went elsewhere due to the cost. But if you are paying for it anyway that would be my choice. Some of the guys in the Motherlode / Deep Powder House are ok, others not so much.

Matt Schiller at park city boot room

I rip the groomed on tele gear

You need to go to Park City and see Brent Amsbury at Park City Ski Boot. I have been using him for over 10 years. He is probably the best boot fitter that I know

“How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    You need to go to Park City and see Brent Amsbury at Park City Ski Boot. I have been using him for over 10 years. He is probably the best boot fitter that I know
    +1 on Park City Ski Boot. I migrated up there after Chris @ Inkline closed shop (I'd second Altacoup's comment about his protegee Mandy, she's not going near my gear).
    Great experience, well ran shop, they are actually on time (gasp!) and will make walk-ins wait as opposed to squeezing them in on top of people with appointments. Prices are on the high-end of things but nothing unreasonable and personally I don't mind dropping $$ on a boot I spend 10+ hours a day skiing for 50+ days a year. I went back a few times throughout the season as my liner was packing in and was never charged again for additional mods. Brent and Gerry (shop manager) know their shit. Last year they had a 3rd bootfitter lady whose name I can't remember, she also seemed to know what she was doing.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I’ve read some people say good things about Mandy on here but I know her personally and would never let her touch any of my gear.
    curiosity piqued

Mandy was great when she worked on my boots. I can see where this may go though, it being TGR, let's keep this public opinion of her work classy if you do/don't like her work, OK?

I've had a lot of great work done by Chris in the past and mandy has worked on my last 2 boots. She has done great work, and I would highly recommend.

Brent is great, got my plugs dialed...should have mentioned him along with Matt but I’ve been working nights in the hospital all week and have the dumb.

It’s all appointment right now

I rip the groomed on tele gear

There are a few levels of fitting being discussed here.

building a plug?
    - brent or Matt in pc
    - Derrick and Jeremy at ski loft

molding a liner and getting a DFP footbed?
    - mike at sports den
    - Luke/Zach at Lifthouse
    - not sure who is at the powder house, but they are competent
    - Skimo is very solid too

I would second what Detrusor and Marshal said.

Since I live in PC, I may have a bit of a proximity bias. But Matt Shiller (Boot Room, used to work for Brent) and Brent (Park City Ski Boot) are both awesome. I went to Inkline back when I lived in SLC. Had work done at Alta too. I’d say both those PC options are worth the drive up...

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    I would second what Detrusor and Marshal said.

Since I live in PC, I may have a bit of a proximity bias. But Matt Shiller (Boot Room, used to work for Brent) and Brent (Park City Ski Boot) are both awesome. I went to Inkline back when I lived in SLC. Had work done at Alta too. I’d say both those PC options are worth the drive up...
    ^*^
    Truth.
    If your feet are such that they need really specialized work. This is the answer. Boots are the most important part of your ski system. At a minimum find the boot that actually fits your foot. Too many shops push you into boots that they are used to working with rather than the boot that fits your foot. One of the most respected boot filters in SLC (now retired) told me that my preferred boot didn’t work for my foot, the shop didn’t sell Nordica. 15 years later I only ski in Doberman plug boots. They fit perfect with minimal punches (2 small ones). First day of the year they feel like sex. Ski like a Ferrari. Make sure to get the boot that fits your foot. Now if Nordica could only make that last into a touring boot. Haven’t paid anywhere close to retail for boots in years (plug boots are cheap if they work for your foot) but if Nordica made a touring boot based off the Doberman last I’d buy three at full price.

Best Boot Work in SLC

X2 for Sports Loft for footbeds/boot work

There are two things a ski shop says when you are shopping for a new pair of boots.

1. So, what boots are you currently using?
    2. That is the wrong boot for your foot. (provided that they do not sell that brand of boot)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    That is the wrong boot for your foot. (provided that they do not sell that brand of boot)
    I never say that.

I tell them I can make that boot stop hurting (assuming I can), but it still won't ski that well (or is a size too big, or 2 lbs. heavier than a modern boot, or has 3 degrees more forward lean, or will never work to tour in, etc.)

PS Never had boots worked on in Utah, but I know Brent Amsbury and Matt Schiller from their previous jobs (World Cup Ski Service and Atomic) and would trust either. I don't think that level of expertise should be necessary to get a good Intuition mold, custom footbeds "maybe."

+1 for Carey at Albion Basin, great guy

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    PS Never had boots worked on in Utah, but I know Brent Amsbury and Matt Schiller from their previous jobs (World Cup Ski Service and Atomic) and would trust either. I don't think that level of expertise should be necessary to get a good Intuition mold, custom footbeds "maybe."
    totally agree.

And put another way, don’t get sticker shock if you bring your VW to a Porsche dealer for an oil change.

but if you have a 911 turbo, there are only a few people you would let work on the car, and it costs what it costs.

not a knock in either direction. Almost every store in SLC/PC has strong boot fitting. Just choose based on your needs

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    totally agree.

And put another way, don’t get sticker shock if you bring your VW to a Porsche dealer for an oil change.

but if you have a 911 turbo, there are only a few people you would let work on the car, and it costs what it costs.

not a knock in either direction. Almost every store in SLC/PC has strong boot fitting. Just choose based on your needs
    Besides world cuppers, only people with fucked up gnarly feet should say it costs what it costs.