Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    10-Ply.
    I just head straight for 12-ply. I feel more at home in the F class. Reminds me of my grades in school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really should sleep with your door closed for fire safety. Not that I follow the advice, but I do preach it.

installed any recent high-VOC materials in the house? recent painting? or floor refinishing?
    smoke particulate in your hvac filters?
    have you tested for radon?
    buy any new carpets from wayfair (ie far east made)? mold?

just guesses

[eta]
    check your 02?
    sorry to go there
    Last edited by ::: :::; 10-29-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You really should sleep with your door closed for fire safety. Not that I follow the advice, but I do preach it.
    Usually I try to stop before the smoking latex turns to flaming latex.

Farts?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've been in office buildings in Europe that had CO2 meters built into the HVAC system, with every thermostat displaying the CO2 ppm (and green/orange/red indicators). With a bunch of people crammed into a small room for an hour or more the concentration commonly went into the unhealthy range (over 1000ppm as I recall). Didn't notice headaches but it definitely felt stuffy and uncomfortable.

Seems less likely in a home (where usually the people/cubic foot ratio will be lower) but it would depend on the size, configuration, and how "tight" it is. Something like this seems like an easy way to check and also lets you monitor indoor smoke levels.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Farts?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    this thread should be merged with the "do you still chuckle" one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ... our house circulates continuously.
    My house only circulates (actually more of a spiral) if I’ve had too much to drink

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Soft. Sounds like you are a baby black bear. Not a baby polar bear.
    Clearly a Bearacist
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Clearly a Bearacist
    Dam. I knew I should of gone with Bruin.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    I've been in office buildings in Europe that had CO2 meters built into the HVAC system, with every thermostat displaying the CO2 ppm (and green/orange/red indicators). With a bunch of people crammed into a small room for an hour or more the concentration commonly went into the unhealthy range (over 1000ppm as I recall). Didn't notice headaches but it definitely felt stuffy and uncomfortable.

Seems less likely in a home (where usually the people/cubic foot ratio will be lower) but it would depend on the size, configuration, and how "tight" it is. Something like this seems like an easy way to check and also lets you monitor indoor smoke levels.
    Right. Now I remember this story circulating a few years ago which attempted to show that people in a crowded meeting room got dumber over time.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ber-180948052/

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.50.51 AM.png
Views: 1253
Size:  117.6 KB

My house was built in the 90's so it's well sealed but the door to the hallway is open. I guess it's unlikely we're expelling so much CO2 that the levels are concerning by morning. Interesting though that from that article even ~2,500 ppm can impact things like initiative. Ironically, as someone said above, high CO2 in the bedroom might actually be beneficial for sleeping though? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    If anyone does that they're a psycho. wtf?
    Yeah that is some weird shit if you do that.

Unless your house was built in one of the handful of jurisdictions that was on the cutting edge of adopting green building standards, your 90's era house isn't all that tight.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Dam. I knew I should of gone with Bruin.
    Always go with the Bruins.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    CO2 ppm is probably a pretty good analog for covid aerosol risk.

New homes in VT and probably other states, the bathroom fan runs constantly at a low CFM for air circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    New homes in VT and probably other states, the bathroom fan runs constantly at a low CFM for air circulation.
    That would drive me fucking nuts. I'd never sleep again.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    That would drive me fucking nuts. I'd never sleep again.
    They're virtually silent. Motion sensed and ramp up when you walk in.

I'm sure it makes economic and environmental sense, but as a dentist with a from the hip thought...you spend all this money to seal the shit out of your new home, do the code required blower door test and then run a fan 24/7. Again, engineers figured this stuff out (I hope!)and the new DC motors are very efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    and the new DC motors are very efficient.
    The low stage on my decade-old 2-stage furnace fan is only 60 watts. A newer bathroom-sized fan is probably well under 10w.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The low stage on my decade-old 2-stage furnace fan is only 60 watts. A newer bathroom-sized fan is probably well under 10w.
    Yes, definitely. Constant run at 30cfm is just over 2 watts.

We used to have an automated switch on our bathroom exhaust fan that would run it at partial speed for a few minutes every hour. You could adjust the fan speed and run time. Always felt like we were wasting heat.

On our recent renovation we added an energy recovery ventilation system or ERV. It's been great, fresh air without the loss of heat or humidity. Usually have it set to run 30% of the time and we run it for 40 minutes after showering. Noticeable difference in air quality, it doesn't get stuffy after being sealed up for the winter.

My dog just farted and he had no idea where the noise came from so he growled at the kitchen sink.

He also forces me to let him in and out multiple times a day guaranteeing constant fresh air inflow.

check your gas appliances

Sheesh, long time lurker and a post on air quality that gets me to sign-up... but I feel for you cause it hits close to home.

Had a similar issue happen in my house, turned out my hot water heater had stopped venting correctly and under certain conditions would dump natural gas exhaust directly into the house. I have several CO detectors in my house and none of them ever went off - but natural gas exhaust puts out other pollutants as well such as NOx. My wife and kids never seemed to have any issues, but I would get horrible headaches at night, so it seems personal sensitivity might vary. Once I figured out the heater vent wasn't working properly and addressed it, all my problems went away.

So, check your gas appliances and make sure they are venting properly:
    -Make sure your dryer vent is clear and not leaking into the house
    -If you have a natural draft water heater, make sure it isn't back-drafting. Make sure to check it when all your exhaust fans (bathroom, kitchen) and clothes dryer in your house are turned on
    -Have your furnace checked out by a professional.

If the air in your house is just stale due to tight construction, get an ERV as someone else mentioned.

Good luck, hope you figure out what's causing your sleepless nights!

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    My house was built in the 90's so it's well sealed
    That got a laugh out of me. Good one.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    My dog just farted and he had no idea where the noise came from so he growled at the kitchen sink.

He also forces me to let him in and out multiple times a day guaranteeing constant fresh air inflow.
    This.