Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Indoor air quality?

I've got a weird theory that I'm having trouble finding support for online. Polling the group for opinions (or assholes). Now that the colder weather is here and windows are closed in the bedroom, do expelled CO2 levels increase to a point where it impacts oxygen uptake and can lead to poor sleep, headaches, etc? Thinking about buying a portable CO2 monitor to check into this.

Not to be confused with carbon monoxide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.07.51 AM.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	345470

Who sleeps with the fucking windows closed?? And for most people no co2 won’t go up that much but there are a lot of mouth breathers running around lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

get some house plants
    Name:  IMG_0544.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  71.5 KB

I have a hard time imagining that your bedroom is small enough and sealed enough for you to affect the indoor air quality. But I'm just a dentist.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have a hard time imagining that your bedroom is small enough and sealed enough for you to affect the indoor air quality. But I'm just a dentist.
    So this seems fundamental to the theory. It's my wife, myself and two dogs for 8 hours. Room size matters. You're probably right though.

Wouldn't high CO2 help you sleep better?

Even with the door and windows closed (who the fuck sleeps with their bedroom door closed unless they have kids or roommates?), you're getting more air exchange over 8 hours than you think. You aren't re-breathing the same air all night. As just one example of the many points of air infiltration, your bedroom door doesn't have weather stripping around the frame, does it? You're over thinking this.

I think one of you just has really bad gas.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    So this seems fundamental to the theory. It's my wife, myself and two dogs for 8 hours. Room size matters. You're probably right though.
    Well since you mentioned it.... we are gonna need pictures. Of your wife. Just for science.

Modern construction with blown foam insulation can be tight as fuck, maybe crack a window if that's what you have. If closing the door is to keep the dogs from wandering maybe get a gate from petsmart and leave the door open.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Who sleeps with the fucking windows closed??
    it was -19*F the other night. So yea.... I close my windows

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Even with the door and windows closed (who the fuck sleeps with their bedroom door closed unless they have kids or roommates?).
    My coworker casually mentioned during conversation that they slept with their bedroom door closed, which struck me as so so strange as well.
    I couldn't get over it- all day I was trying to figure out what the benefit was and countered any of her answers, so that I think I finally changed somebody's mind about something.

But I'm still perplexed about the MANIAC couple I heard of that don't have a side of the bed and just choose every evening at random.

back to air quality. I sleep with a fan in the bedroom. the white noise is also extra soothing and that might provide enough circulation for your peace of mind
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    But I'm still perplexed about the MANIACS I heard of that don't have a side of the bed and just choose every evening at random.
    If anyone does that they're a psycho. wtf?

Doubtful. Back when the Cheney administration told us to stockpile duct tape and plastic sheets in case of a chemical attack I ran some quick calcs to see if anyone would die in a small room if they actually managed the required seal. The answer was pretty much no, without a very small room and at least 2 people for multiple days. Sleeping for 8 hours without a perfect seal seems pretty safe, even if death isn't the threshold of concern.

I live in a 100 year old home. Old homes were made to "breath." Modern homes are hermetically sealed and made with all sorts of carcinogens that off gas for years. So it has been posited that old homes are actually healthier than modern homes. Not sure how old your house is.

Here is a calculation for household CO2 concentration over time as it relates to vent-free gas fireplaces but that component can be removed and the calculation should still work. Adjust assumptions accordingly. Haven't scrutinized but seems reasonable.

Without the fireplace and with everyone in the house, the equilibrium concentration is 1047ppm (4/6000)*10^6+380. Over a 24 hour period (8 hours on, 16 hours off, occupied by 4 people 14 hours per day), the average exposure was 3225 ppm (during the 14 hours per day of occupancy).
    http://energysmartohio.com/uncategor...arbon-dioxide/

it was -19*F the other night. So yea.... I close my windows

Soft. Sounds like you are a baby black bear. Not a baby polar bear.

But I'm still perplexed about the MANIAC couple I heard of that don't have a side of the bed and just choose every evening at random.
    wtf? I'm not committed to one side of the bed, if we're traveling I am fine with whatever side based on circumstances (eg whether only one side has a table, where the plugs are, etc). But at home?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We've had significant smoke in the air for 2 months straight, so yeah, the windows are definitely closed to improve indoor air quality.

Anecdotally, two people and a dog sleeping in a teardrop trailer that was roughly 4' x 5' x 8' with the windows closed did result in waking up in the middle of the night with a headache and short of breath. But I'm sure your bedroom is a lot bigger than that and probably not sealed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I live in a 100 year old home. Old homes were made to "breath." Modern homes are hermetically sealed and made with all sorts of carcinogens that off gas for years. So it has been posited that old homes are actually healthier than modern homes. Not sure how old your house is.
    This definition of "hermetically sealed" sounds pretty loose.

If I don't close my door the cat comes in and screams at us for this or that in the middle of the night. With the door closed I don't hear it. She still screams.

We open a few windows for about 10mins. everyday. It feels good this time of year
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Unfathomable.

We have forced air with a two-stage fan that's always on so our house circulates continuously.

Wow.

Ski season can’t come fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Soft. Sounds like you are a baby black bear. Not a baby polar bear.

10-Ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    wtf? I'm not committed to one side of the bed, if we're traveling I am fine with whatever side based on circumstances (eg whether only one side has a table, where the plugs are, etc). But at home?
    Yes, it is important to keep track of the butt plug storage.