Best rotors that don't break the bank?

I have a few bikes that are in desperate need of rotors. I haven't run ice tech for a while but remember them being very good.

What are mags using for a good middle of the road rotor? Looking for two 203s (1 6 bolt and 1 CL) and two 180s (1 6 bolt and 1 CL).

Probably also need a pair of 140s for the Gravel bike.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Depends on what brakes you have. Magura and Hayes use thicker rotors (2.0 and 1.95 mm) and the minimum allowable rotor thickness is the same as a new Shimano rotor (1.7 mm). I think SRAM Centerline is 1.85 mm.

I usually buy a few Hayes rotors when they are on sale. If I can't find those I usually buy Icetech.

With the parts shortage this summer I had to take my chances on Sram centerline rotors on eBay from China. I figured at ~$10 a piece it was worth the risk and there were literally no domestic options at a price I wanted to pay. I received all my rotors in perfect condition in two separate orders, some had rotor bolts some didn't. They were all the old non edge beveled version but that doesn't concern me. Shipping times were estimated at 30 days. I received both shipments in about a week.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Magura is great quality for a reasonable price. The extra thickness mentioned above makes them stiffer and more durable.

Rotors last forever so not sure why anyone would want a cheap version. Not sure why anyone wants a super expensive one either.

Ha, I actually had a rotor wear out on me last year. First time ever. It got thin enough the rotor arm started to contact something in the caliper.

Every other rotor I've ever owned has experienced death via rock or other impact.

I like Icetech when stopping is super important and Centerline when it's less so. There are enough new take offs of Centerlines to find good deals on eBay (I got a pair, new, for $18).

Shimano RT66 are cheap and work well.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Shimano RT66 are cheap and work well.
    Seconded. I've got a set that kinda warble under hard braking, but it doesn't affect performance, and it's not loud like Avid Juicy warble.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Magura is great quality for a reasonable price. The extra thickness mentioned above makes them stiffer and more durable.

Rotors last forever so not sure why anyone would want a cheap version. Not sure why anyone wants a super expensive one either.
    This is my experience as well. As an added benefit, when they do get slightly bent, I find that it's easier to make very fine corrections without overshooting, since they resist bending more.

Slight bends aren't the problem.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I go thru 2 rotors a year due to heat on extended fast Wasatch descents. 200lbs kitted, 203
    mm rotors F&R.

FIFY:
    BEST ROTORS THAT DON'T BRAKE

Aren’t they all made from 304 stainless? What makes one better than another? Machine time to drill extra holes? I have Sram/Shimano rotors on my nice bikes. I use $7 ebay cheapos on my commuter. I live on top of a 9% grade, and sometimes the bike is heavily loaded. They all seem to work ok.

Just make sure they are compatible with metallic pads. I’ve used various ice tech. I found the xterm ones with cooling fins make more noise, so have gravitated towards the cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Aren’t they all made from 304 stainless? What makes one better than another? Machine time to drill extra holes?
    Centerlock are usually more expensive than 6-bolt. The fancier Shimano Icetech ones are multi-piece and laminate construction. Magura and Hayes D-Series are thicker material (for better heat dissipation, different approach to the same goal the Icetech sammiches try to achieve). Hayes also claims to have optimized the shape to minimize resonance and vibration, and to use a proprietary surface treatment that increases power (Modal Resonance Cancelation and QuickBite² are the marketing buzzwords, respectively). How much better does MRC and QB2 really make them? IDK, I don't get paid to test stuff. I can tell you that I've done close to 100k feet of descending on a set of D-Series rotors and there's been zero squealing and it doesn't look like I'll need to replace them any time soon.

[/endhayeshomerism]

eta: If you don't do long descents any metallic pad-compatible rotor is probably fine (RT-66, etc.)
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-03-2020 at 05:07 PM.

The TRP 33 rotors I've been running have been super solid. Heard good things about Hayes as well from a ride buddy.