Favorite lightish, failsafe thermos

At resorts I try to skip lunch, stash fuel in my pockets and just duck in for an early PM coffee to help hit the finish line. This year I'm just going to ski with my small pack and get rid of any excuse to go indoors (next thread... favorite packable TP). So I have a collection of Contigo mugs, none of which I trust to stay closed while on my back. And they wouldn't be my first choice to land on.

Does anyone have a lightweight coffee thermos they swear by? Bonus points for long and slender. TnWSS

#searchjong not working on current device so feel free to demote me from regular jong.

I bought this thermos direct from 4FRNT....it’s pretty slim and sits nice in my Dakine pack.

Hasn’t ever leaked.

Keeps coffee/tea pretty warm. I pre-heat with boiling water.

Best feature is the one-hand push top spout. You can pour while wearing gloves and carrying poles in the lift line. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8397.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	345284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8398.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	345285

Zojirushi thermos. Best I've ever owned. No leaks, insane insulation without going crazy in size. I don't like the lid-cup option and these have a spring loaded lid that swings opened so you can swill your beverage of choice (and burn the shit out of your mouth) easily. I hoofed 16oz of tea around for 8 hours in -20F temps in BC last January and the tea stayed hot.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

How much coffee do you drink?

Name:  huge-hulk-sized-mug.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  47.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Zojirushi thermos. Best I've ever owned. No leaks, insane insulation without going crazy in size. I don't like the lid-cup option and these have a spring loaded lid that swings opened so you can swill your beverage of choice (and burn the shit out of your mouth) easily. I hoofed 16oz of tea around for 8 hours in -20F temps in BC last January and the tea stayed hot.
    Seconded. I bought one a few years ago after the Wirecutter picked it as the top recommendation. It’s tall and thin, and the lid locks closed. It holds temperature very well. Only drawback is the lid leaves some coffee on my nose sometimes.

I use a Yeti as a daily driver around the (home) office because it’s nicer to drink from, but I usually pour the rest of the pot into the Zojirushi. And it’s the one I take with me outdoors.

I have that Zojirushi thermos. And it does not leak and it keeps the liquid insanely hot. That said, the lid is somewhat fragile from wear and tear. I have broken/worn out 3 over the last few years, and don't think I would buy another one (buying replacement lids is almost as expensive as a new thermos). I have also used this one: https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stain...dp/B000K604P0/ Similar to the Zoji in performance, the lid is more fragile if dropped (ask me how I know), but less susceptible to normal wear and tear than the Zoji.

I mostly use the contigo ones now. But agree that if I was tossing something in a backpack, it's not the best choice.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

this is, by far, my favorite thermos:

https://fellowproducts.com/products/carter-move-mug

it's light enough, keeps coffee warm for long enough (i don't need it scalding hot after 12 hours in the thermos), and best of all, the ceramic lining keeps coffee tasting great.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    this is, by far, my favorite thermos:

https://fellowproducts.com/products/carter-move-mug

it's light enough, keeps coffee warm for long enough (i don't need it scalding hot after 12 hours in the thermos), and best of all, the ceramic lining keeps coffee tasting great.
    I was just thinking this morning "I wonder if there are any ceramic lined thermoses." Will have to pick one of those up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    I was just thinking this morning "I wonder if there are any ceramic lined thermoses." Will have to pick one of those up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    yep. i love it. here are the things that i think make it legit:

- really nice to drink out of (provided you are stationary) - it's like a wine glass, with a nice lip on it - the threads of the lid are internal, not external
    - the rubber gasket is easy to get out and clean (always a pain on thermoses)
    - it's bombproof - i throw one in my pack all the time, and it's doing fine - no leaks, simple lid.
    - 16oz is the perfect size imo. for me anyway. i just want a cup of coffee, i don't want a fucking liter of it.
    - fairly priced

downsides -

- it's not ultra thermally efficient. but it is good enough. make coffee in the morning, it's still hot by afternoon
    - the minimalist exterior doesn't have a grippy thing on it or anything, but i haven't had any trouble with that

tgapp's is pretty cool, but I'll +3.5 on the zojirushi. I have a 12oz one with stainless interior that I prefer to a 16oz nonstick one I had previously. Both lids have survived, but not under very strenuous conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have that Zojirushi thermos. And it does not leak and it keeps the liquid insanely hot. That said, the lid is somewhat fragile from wear and tear. I have broken/worn out 3 over the last few years, and don't think I would buy another one (buying replacement lids is almost as expensive as a new thermos). I have also used this one: https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stain...dp/B000K604P0/ Similar to the Zoji in performance, the lid is more fragile if dropped (ask me how I know), but less susceptible to normal wear and tear than the Zoji.

I mostly use the contigo ones now. But agree that if I was tossing something in a backpack, it's not the best choice.
    Weird about the lid. I've never had issues with the 2 that I have and I make it a habit to drop them frequently, usually when opened to make sure they spill and I get a chance to fuck up the hinge of the lid. I tried to catch my 16oz one with my foot when dropping it in the WP parking lot at 4AM last winter. Ended up kicking it hard (with a ski boot) into a wheel of the car. Barely spilled anything. Maybe I'm thermos lucky.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I have an insulated kleen kanteen I've had for years now, this kinda thing https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/kl...y=US&var=38120 (dunno why t-p was the first place I found it)

there are probably fancier options now, but this thing keeps tea hot in my touring pack all day in very cold temps, and doesn't leak. I've had it for a long time and it'll probably last me another decade. I drop it almost as a matter of course, I've voile strapped it to my bike... I dunno. it's great.

lots of ways to skin this cat

The GSI Microlite 720 works well for me. Keeps things hot during a long tour. You can buy it with a screw top lid or flip lid. I like the flip lid because it's easy to drink from and has a spout that makes it harder to burn your lips. They use a very thin wall stainless, claim to be lighter and slimmer than other stainless bottles.
    https://gsioutdoors.com/microlite-720-flip.html
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    lots of ways to skin this cat
    Preposterous.
    One must purchase the most expensive Euro-made (Japanese and acceptable 2nd option) carbon-infused RED thermos for ski touring purposes. Nobody's gonna be impressed with that Kleen thing on the Flag skinner sir.

Zojirushi is rad and super light. Havent broken lid in about two years of use.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Seconded. I bought one a few years ago after the Wirecutter picked it as the top recommendation. It’s tall and thin, and the lid locks closed. It holds temperature very well. Only drawback is the lid leaves some coffee on my nose sometimes.

I use a Yeti as a daily driver around the (home) office because it’s nicer to drink from, but I usually pour the rest of the pot into the Zojirushi. And it’s the one I take with me outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    The GSI Microlite 720 works well for me. Keeps things hot during a long tour. You can buy it with a screw top lid or flip lid. I like the flip lid because it's easy to drink from and has a spout that makes it harder to burn your lips. They use a very thin wall stainless, claim to be lighter and slimmer than other stainless bottles.
    https://gsioutdoors.com/microlite-720-flip.html
    Second the GSI Microlite 720. And for that matter, the 1000 is really nice too, although it doesn’t have the sip cap.

Zojirushi

No other.
    Once you said tall and thin it was game over.
    They also have wider and higher volume. I don’t know whatta the fuckka technology they use but it’s awesome.

My daily water is hydro flask. Pretty nice. But for all day hot coffee or tea, you need a zoji
    . . .

+ whatever on the Zojirushi. That thing will keep your beverage hot for a long time and it's very packable.

Big fan of zojirushi. My only issue is they aren’t great for all car drink holders. They’re narrow circumference and tall so they often are too loose or fall over. Not worth not getting them but worth a mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some Eagle brand stainless steel model that I bought over 20 years ago for like $15 at Fred Meyer is still keeping things hot, never leaks. Probably not fancy enough for the cool kids though.

so apart from my hipster Fellow recommendation, i've also owned and loved zojirushi thermoses and i think they're great. no complaints at all, so i'll pile on to the community recommendation. the only reason i recommended the Fellow feller is because of the ceramic lining, which, for coffee, definitely makes your coffee not taste like stainless steel. kinda a big plus imo.

funny story - my last zojirushi thermos - i was transitioning a few years back near a rock band, and i dropped it 12 feet down a moat. i thought it was gone for good, until ~8 months later, a friend saw the thermos while running, recognized a sticker on it, and returned it to me. remarkably, the tea in it was still good - i guess because it was poured in there boiling hot and there wasn't any sugar in it, there was nothing to spoil.

Favorite lightish, failsafe thermos

Just bought a fellow products mug due to tgapp’s recommendation because of the no splash device. I like the top of the coffee to be open while I drink it.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Zojirushi all the way. I have damaged the lids and the color paint on the non silver ones wear off, but I am still able to use them even with the lid damaged. I have two, both around 6 years old and still work great(other than one of the lids damaged but still usable)

Does anyone like the Zojirushi stuff?

That's actually what I was picturing for this mission, I just didn't know the brand. Thanks nerds, you guys don't dissapoint, ordering up a stainless steel one on payday.

I'm currently planet killing with a Subaru Ascent - the cupholders in that thing were designed by someone who thinks Americans only drink mega big gulps, so I might actually be able to fit two Zojirushis in there. If not, the Juggernaut looks perfect.