Setting up New Wheels - Tire tech

So I've got a set of i9 Enduro S wheels I'm going to be putting on my 2017 Devinci Troy. The process of shopping for new wheels and now looking into tires for them has brought up a lot of questions, I guess I'm just not that spun up on all this stuff. I currently have the OEM Raceface AR27 wheels with Maxxis High Roller II on them. No complaints, got new wheels cause the OEM hubs are failing and are shit Formula ones.

New wheels are 30.5mm inner width, so wider than what I had.

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get a better understanding of all this and also need to get tires and there's so many choices, it's hard to narrow down what I'm after.

1. Why do some bikes run different size tires i.e. 2.5 rear/2.4 front? My bike has 2.3 width front and rear, but for comparison, my buddy who has the same bike but the 2018 model, his came 2.5F/2.4R. What's the reason for different sizes with the front being wider?

2. I have no complaints about the current tires I was running, however, being my first high end bike and first tire change, I don't have much to compare to. Thinking of just getting the same tires again (Maxxis High Roller II) but trying them in the 2.4 width since I now have a wider rim.

3. I ride primarily in the northeast, NJ and upstate NY, no lift serve yet, so a good amount of climbing and also some x-country-ish stuff. What is a good all around tire?

4. What's the best tire width, considering the bike I have, the riding I said I mostly do, and that goes best with a 30.5width wheel?

5. Got any links to deals you've seen lately? I'm in no rush, gonna run my current wheels the rest of this season, bust out the fresh ones in the spring.

Thanks!

*Yes, I've read the "new season new tires new thread" thread already...
    Last edited by ADKmike; 10-27-2020 at 07:50 PM.

People run wider tires in front because the added traction and volume makes more of a difference there in terms of tracking and cornering. I personally see zero need to run tires wider than 2.4 unless you're riding desert sand. I noticed recently that lots of tires are 50% off or more on the Schwalbe website and they make excellent tires, I like the Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph. I like to support LBS like everyone else but hate paying $70 for a tire, if you shop around online you can find top quality tires around $40 without much difficulty.

Wider tire up front for more grip up front and less pressure. Narrower tire in rear with high pressure rolls/ powers up easier and you want a little less grip out back to avoid over riding the front tire.

So many tires out there. Depends on the conditions you ride and how you value grip versus speed generally. Weight can be a factor. I ride a XC hardtail with about 1000g enduro tires. Rather have the grip over less weight or faster rolling. I’d likely do the same thing with a full suspension. But it is a preference thing.

Chain Reaction Cycling usually has some good deals. You can buy a Forte Pishgah on Performance for about $20, $30 tubeless ready (slightly before sidewall) decent 2 ply tire if you want cheap.

I like the Michelin Wild enduros as an all around tire but I’m not in the NE. I’m also on 22.5 wide rims.

Maxxis WT tires are designed for 30-35 internal rims.

Re 1: bigger in the front generally helps the rear break traction in a corner first. Which is good, because if the front breaks traction first, you usually crash.

Riding style and the bike's geometry can affect this. So some people / bikes do just fine with both tires being the same size. Some benefit from the larger tire in front.

In terms of actual size, a bigger tire will usually provide more grip, but it'll weigh more and roll slower. That dynamic really just comes down to personal preference.

Personal preferences aside, most people these days are running a 2.5ish tire in the front, and a 2.3 - 2.4 in the rear. Not saying that's the perfect combination, but it's a pretty safe bet.

There will be a lot of people with a lot of opinions about what the best option is, but if you don't want to think about it, just get a 2.5 maxxis dhf WT, exo plus casing in the front, maxxterra (harder / faster rubber) or maxxgrip (softer / grippier) compound. Put a 2.3 or 2.4 maxxis dhr2 WT, double down casing on the rear. Maxxterra compound. 2.3 if you want to roll faster. 2.4 if you want more grip. That setup is as close to being the "industry standard" as anything out there.

I’ve been really happy with my Specialized Butchers. They’re like the DHR’s but a little meatier and last longer. You can usually find them <$50 on their website. I thought the High Rollers were pretty meh.

I’m going with a DHRII in the rear...have an opportunity to get a 2nd DHRII for a good deal - read some articles about ppl running this up front as well. Thinking of doing that - bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    I’m going with a DHRII in the rear...have an opportunity to get a 2nd DHRII for a good deal - read some articles about ppl running this up front as well. Thinking of doing that - bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    DHRii is a fine front tire as well.

I ran it a bunch. Just make sure they are the same compound front and rear, or the front is stickier.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Second that
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.