Being too picky?

I just got a pair of skis online, brand new from a small company. Paid retail. Usually don't do that, but really was looking for something different and help folks out during this crazy year. Anyhow got the skis and was checking them out and noticed some issues on one of the skis edges and the base. You can see it in this picture. it goes from edge to edge so the base actually has a little dip... its like they got a little aggressive on the finishing sander. Am I being too picky here? Or you think they should swap them out? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201026_193857226~3.jpeg 
Views:	293 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	345173

Pinning it using TGR Forums mobile app
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

That looks prone to delamination. Send those things back.

I can't even tell what the hell I'm looking at.

Are you saying there is a concave spot longitudinally?

(oh, never mind, it looks like the edge thins out top to bottom along a section of the ski?)

Are you holding a ruler against the edge to show the little dip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a grind and help out your local shop.

I wouldn't be so stoked on it. Especially full retail. Looks like a blem to me

How the hell did you notice this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    How the hell did you notice this?
    I bet it was visible by looking down the ski in the right light....or palpable by running a hand down the base. And if not either of those, a dip like that is very noticeable when waxing and scraping.

I have a few thoughts:

1) if this is a firm snow performance ski, and especially a race ski, it goes back...because I notice subtle truing and tuning issues on hard snow...because firm snow skis need to be precisely finished to perform to spec, so if they’re not finished properly they’re worthless to me. If it’s not that kinda ski then::

2) I would send that image to the company and get their thoughts on it...like, maybe they just recommend grinding it out, maybe they don’t want imperfect product out there and they want it back. They know their product, they know their finishing process, etc...

3) if it’s a freeride/pow kinda ski, and the company isn’t helpful, I’d flatten it with a grind, hope for the best, and it will almost certainly be just fine. If it’s not fine and the thing delams in thst spot later, light ‘em up with some righteous feedback and push them hard for a replacement.

What ill said....

Man, idk, not quite sure how that just"grinds right out".
    Can the new computer controlled grinders depressure the feed wheel for 4-6"s(while still moving ski) and then repressure at the point where it's thick again? Find a woke tech with an older manual operated unit to depressure and repressure feed wheel manually?
    More than likely that area will just end up thinner. Thin bases way more prone to coreshots

I’d take a pic with an actual true bar or square or something other than a ruler and send the company that pic and ask their opinion. Their response will guide if you should be bummed or not. I’m not doubting you and can see the edge thickness thinner in your pic but how many of us have old warped yard sticks laying around the shop? It’s an easy out for them.

Yeah tuc, I’d hand feed over a wet belt, altering pressure around that dip to try and even it out. But I mean, that’s me, and it’s not necessarily plan A.

Full retail? Send it back.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Just spit balling but maybe take the base edge down by hand to as close to uniform as you can getting base high and then wet sand on an old an old school machine. But then again, far more effort than I’d put in or pay a shop to put in on a new set skis I paid retail for.

Tell the company this is what you got, you’re going to ride it switch to the road, and let them know how that worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I’d take a pic with an actual true bar or square or something other than a ruler and send the company that pic and ask their opinion. Their response will guide if you should be bummed or not. I’m not doubting you and can see the edge thickness thinner in your pic but how many of us have old warped yard sticks laying around the shop? It’s an easy out for them.
    2nded

Use a piece of metal. spirit Level. Or framing square.

I don’t trust no wood ruler on its side.
    . . .

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I have a ruler there. You can see it when you look down the ski also though... I thought it was an optical illusion at first. The company was super easy to work with and they helped me out. Thanks for all the replies and good advice.

I can’t really tell what I’m looking at.....but...the fact you took the time to start a thread and ask....u know it’s there and you’ll obsess about it.....FOBO is in full effect......

IMO...the fact u paid full retail.....send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I can’t really tell what I’m looking at.....but...the fact you took the time to start a thread and ask....u know it’s there and you’ll obsess about it.....FOBO is in full effect......

X2, but maybe that's what went down. All this grind it down, do this, do that, is bullshit for full retail skis.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post

I'm used to gear that's been hammered, so this probably won't feel like much to me. I was more worried about the integrity of the ski than anything. Like I noted before, the company was really helpful imo. Just was looking for some advice from you all, and got good replies. Thanks again.

Pinning it using TGR Forums mobile app

So what was the solution?