Flylow Lab Coat vs Quantum Pro

Long time Flylow slut, going back to the days I was helping to bake gloves in the back of Dan? Greg's? house using just a tub of wax and an old oven. In any event, owned one of the OG quantums, multiple chemical pants, magnums, baker bibs, and most recently a chemical pant and a jacket which name I can't remember, but it is one of their mid level freeride jackets with steezy colors. In any event, its getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm hoping to upgrade the kit for this year. Now no longer in dry CO but in wet (ter) PNW. So looking for the most waterproof of their offerings. Seems thats between the lab coat and the quantum pro. Will be purely inbounds (have other gear for skin), wetness proof is key, shell is fine. Wondering the differences between these two, not sure how much has changed from 10 or so years on the quantum pro. Yes there are other awesome brands out there, but they have always done right by me, gear has been exceptional, so might as well carry on the cause. Searched around, but surprisingly not a ton of info, especially on the lab.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

My understanding is that the lab coat is burlier and more waterproof, but I can’t swear to that. I’ve got the Baker/Lab Coat combo and love it, but have never used the Quantum so cant compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    My understanding is that the lab coat is burlier and more waterproof, but I can’t swear to that. I’ve got the Baker/Lab Coat combo and love it, but have never used the Quantum so cant compare.

thanks man- yea that's what I'm gathering based on my up all night on night shift staring into the screen research

how big/tall are ya/ what sizing you go for?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Im 5’7 155 and am in the medium. Could definitely have gone small but I don’t mind the extra room and I got a good deal on the M.

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Im 5’7 155 and am in the medium. Could definitely have gone small but I don’t mind the extra room and I got a good deal on the M.

tthanks again, between 5'9-ish, 190 med-large tweener. decisions.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Shoot me a pm if you want some measurements of the jacket - happy to help. Sounds like the decision will be whether you prefer a baggier fit or not.

Flylow Lab Coat vs Quantum Pro

I love my Flylow Lab jacket in Medium.

Got two pair of Baker bibs as well. Size M in the Bakers is roomy and a bit long on me but I don’t mind a bit baggy around the boots.

Here’s a pic with the wife at Poochy’s cabin at Red Mtn, for reference I’m 5’7”, ~167lbs...I’m not skinny, but not fat...must have heavy bones. Kincos are medium too. Wife rips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2128.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	345163
    Last edited by kc_7777; 10-27-2020 at 02:34 PM.

I have the 2018 lab coat (looks the same as in KC7777's pic). I think they've changed a bit from year to year, so take that into consideration. I'm in Whitefish, which is more PNW weather than CO. I've skied the lab coat in the rain on many occasions. I'm 5'9", 155 lbs in a medium, and it fits well. Although if the sleeves were a smidge longer, I wouldn't complain.

I've been happy with it. It's as waterproof as any other jacket I've owned, and it breathes well. It's not as warm as some other shells I've owned - wind definitely feels like it goes through it a bit. But that comes with an increase in breathability, which is (sometimes) nice.

No experience with the Quantum.

Yup thanks all. Lab it’s gonna be. Man having short arms and legs but being thick is not a good a thing for sizing. I’m medium lengths but large thicknesses in waist and chest.

Sizing details to be updated after purchase

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Yup thanks all. Lab it’s gonna be. Man having short arms and legs but being thick is not a good a thing for sizing. I’m medium lengths but large thicknesses in waist and chest.

Sizing details to be updated after purchase
    Howd you go on the purchase/sizing?

I went large/ large on baker and quantum pro.
    My thinking: my chemicals and my old Roswell jacket were both large and while a touch big, they were solid fits overall.
    The quantum I went with at Flylow’s CS suggestion they suggested the quantum was better for a resort coat in a wetter setting like PNW. Trying to find the email rxachange I had with them, will update if I can

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Flylow’s CS is solid,they won’t steer you wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Flylow’s CS is solid,they won’t steer you wrong.

Not to mention the green color- “Mallard”- which looks sort of awkward more pastel like in pictures - I got my quantum and bakers in might be one of the most awesome colors I’ve ever laid eyes on. It’s somehow bright yet non offensive and rich/deep, not pastel like at all, if I didn’t know better I’d swear it was Pantone 342, “hello friends”.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Not to mention the green color- “Mallard”- which looks sort of awkward more pastel like in pictures - I got my quantum and bakers in might be one of the most awesome colors I’ve ever laid eyes on. It’s somehow bright yet non offensive and rich/deep, not pastel like at all, if I didn’t know better I’d swear it was Pantone 342, “hello friends”.
    thanks!
    The large fits you well? im 5'10 but more like 160lbs. ive heard they fit quite big so was leaning to a medium.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    thanks!
    The large fits you well? im 5'10 but more like 160lbs. ive heard they fit quite big so was leaning to a medium.
    I’m 5’11/200, and I wear L in the Quantum/Higgins and Chemical/Magnum pants.
    I find the L pants a little long, but I need the waist. If they made a Large/Short, that would be perfect.

I find most brands are not long enough in the arms for me in a Large, but the Flylow stuff fits me perfectly.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    thanks!
    I’m 5’9 190-200. Short but athletic? Stocky? Fat?

It’s a little big for sure but not so big it looks rediculous.

At your weight, I’d go medium.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I’m 5’9 190-200. Short but athletic? Stocky? Fat?

It’s a little big for sure but not so big it looks rediculous.

At your weight, I’d go medium.
    Thats what i was leaning towards.
    Thanks for the advice.

Bump. How has everyone got along with their Quantums after yet another season?

I'm looking to cycle out of my last bit of Trew gear and the Quantum looks like a worthy replacement. Aside from their first or second iteration over ten years ago; I've not yet fondled a Quantum in person. How's the fit; steezy, freeridey, or something else? Are durability and waterproofness still holding up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Bump. How has everyone got along with their Quantums after yet another season?

I'm looking to cycle out of my last bit of Trew gear and the Quantum looks like a worthy replacement. Aside from their first or second iteration over ten years ago; I've not yet fondled a Quantum in person. How's the fit; steezy, freeridey, or something else? Are durability and waterproofness still holding up?
    Going on it's third season as my main inbounds shell.

Pros:
    Bomber construction. No nicks, cuts, abrasions, etc. Maybe I don't spend enough time in trees, but if I did I think it would do fine.
    Good zippers. Pit vents easy enough to open.
    Powder skirt!
    Good value.
    You won't be confused with a dentist.

Cons:
    Heavy compared to some jackets but I'm fine with it.
    Fit is a bit boxy but, again, I'm fine with it. Wearing a M on a 6' 180 frame and plenty of room for a thicker midlayer.

Membrane is their standard stuff and works well. I haven't touched up with dwr and don't recall any leakage/wetting last season.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    Going on it's third season as my main inbounds shell.

Pros:
    Bomber construction. No nicks, cuts, abrasions, etc. Maybe I don't spend enough time in trees, but if I did I think it would do fine.
    Good zippers. Pit vents easy enough to open.
    Powder skirt!
    Good value.
    You won't be confused with a dentist.

Cons:
    Heavy compared to some jackets but I'm fine with it.
    Fit is a bit boxy but, again, I'm fine with it. Wearing a M on a 6' 180 frame and plenty of room for a thicker midlayer.

Membrane is their standard stuff and works well. I haven't touched up with dwr and don't recall any leakage/wetting last season.
    Bueno. Much appreciated on the beta.

My only gripe with the current colorways that FlyLow offers are that they are all so muted and bland. It's all so... boring, almost. I guess that's better than being clothed in skittle puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Bueno. Much appreciated on the beta.

My only gripe with the current colorways that FlyLow offers are that they are all so muted and bland. It's all so... boring, almost. I guess that's better than being clothed in skittle puke.
    Yeah, I think mine is Upstate NY Gray.

You could always wear a scarf.