School me on delam issues

I passed on buying Ravens due to some top sheet delam. It has been "professionally repaired". But it got me thinking, outside of the delam peeling further into the ski, any other issues you can think of...cant imagine this causes performance differences, but maybe the risk of water getting under the top sheet for a period of time? This particular instance also looked like there could have been some sidewall issues, but thought I would ask in case I have a similar opp.

Name:  image0.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  117.8 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  81.7 KB

I would think the topsheet contributes to the stiffness of the ski and a delam would mean a different and softer flex.

There's also the possibility of water getting into the wood core.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I would think the topsheet contributes to the stiffness of the ski and a delam would mean a different and softer flex.

There's also the possibility of water getting into the wood core.

That’s a good point. I wonder how much the top sheet layer plays into any sort of rigidity and stiffness

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don't know how much but it has to be non zero.

I can't give you a reference to this but I thought some of the boutique ski company threads have talked about how having a wood veneer topsheet vs plastic changing the flex and having to adapt the cores to try to keep things consistent.

But I can't be 100% sure about that.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I don't know how much but it has to be non zero.

I can't give you a reference to this but I thought some of the boutique ski company threads have talked about how having a wood veneer topsheet vs plastic changing the flex and having to adapt the cores to try to keep things consistent.

But I can't be 100% sure about that.

Thanks, Shorty. Would love to hear from anyone who have first hand knowledge about any disruption in the topsheet and impact to the structure of the ski. Makes complete sense in terms of material chosen for top sheet could also be important in structure of the ski as other layers.

Every layer matters.

Water is bad for steel and wood. Skis are made out of steel and wood. Any opportunity for water penetration has the risk of rotting wood and rusting edges from the inside out. This could, hypothetically cause bindings or edges to rip out while skiing, with dangerous consequences.

It's easy enough to fix a delaminating ski if you catch it early:
    • Mask the area well to avoid glue everywhere.
    • Shove a generous amount of epoxy in the gap.
    • Clamp the piss out of it. Clamps everywhere. Every clamp you own. So many clamps.
    • Wait at least 24 hours. Longer if possible.
    • Use a razor blade and file to clean up the epoxy overflow. Your skis are watertight again.