Page 112 of 170 FirstFirst ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 4250
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    That's the problem here in a nutshell, people moving from the east and putting up with the shitshow because they are used to a daily shitshow in order to ski marginal conditions. Of course these skiers are happy to put up with our UT shitshow, the reward is great snow and terrain.

Us crusty fucks don't like the new norm. Long lines were for chumps out east or colorado until Ikon, although inevitably, yes, here it would and was getting more crowded. Ikon sped all this up overnight. We made a choice to move here (and many places out west) to avoid shitshows and all the people that think it's normal. It's not easy to move.

Skiing and enjoying the mountains is not about long lines, hours in traffic, and dealing with assholes. Why is this hard to understand?
    It doesn’t happen often but I fully agree with you on this point. This season has been by far the worst in terms of skier and vehicle traffic in big Cottonwood, ever.

I agree that these east coasters are used to spending hours in their vehicles to get to skiing and in Utah for them it is a much bigger better reward. We used to like our 30 minute door to door experience but that is permanently gone as far as I can tell.

Although I will say that today at Solitude was most excellent with very manageable crowds. Part of the reason for this is that they were able to get most of the mountain open and the mountain itself disperses people well. And LCC opened on time.

dayum, deep untracked pow for miles. So good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Maybe I don't powder panic as hard but I feel like the weekend pow day shit show was as bad or worse ten years ago than now. was just watching an end of season video from 2010 of the red snake and lift lines merging in the parking lot... that feels the same. Was anyone here today? I definitely over forecasted a pow panic shit show. Can we ever really expect any less bad without raising season ticket prices over $5000?

The big impact I notice is the crowds in the mornings on non pow weekdays. It's good for selling breakfasts and coffee but a little tougher to eat in peace...
    Having something tangible to blame is always the goto for men, and ikon is an easy scape goat. It's definitely putting numbers on top of shit show that started around the year you mentioned ~ 2010. Lot's more people out West, and skiing is pretty popular these days.

Ran into the crew and got some deep turns in

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1614479630.424233.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	365167

Name:	Image1614479642.554492.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	365168

Name:	Image1614479655.014210.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	365169

My buddy fell into a bomb hole. First time that has happened for him in 20 years skiing together

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Maybe I don't powder panic as hard but I feel like the weekend pow day shit show was as bad or worse ten years ago than now.
    It's simple. The clear difference is how quickly the parking is full. When in the past ten years has BCC parking been full between 8-9:30am 6 weekends in a row and multiple weekdays by 10am-ish? Alta would be dealing with this too if they didn't have limited parking this year. How often has Alta/SB parking been full on big days in the past early? usually it's....I dunno honestly, but never before the resorts open or even close to that IME.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post

dayum, deep untracked pow for miles. So good.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
    Having something tangible to blame is always the goto for men, and ikon is an easy scape goat. It's definitely putting numbers on top of shit show that started around the year you mentioned ~ 2010. Lot's more people out West, and skiing is pretty popular these days.
    Any resort manager would disagree with you. And as I said before, yes, crowding was slowly happening, but it hit warp speed the last few years.

That's the problem here in a nutshell, people moving from the east and putting up with the shitshow because they are used to a daily shitshow in order to ski marginal conditions. Of course these skiers are happy to put up with our UT shitshow, the reward is great snow and terrain.
    Can confirm. Even with the relatively low early snowpack and waking up at 630 every weekend just to get a spot, this has just been far and away the best season I've ever had / the best year of my life.

Supreme bowl was amazing today. Exercise, connecting with nature, the unadulterated joy of faceshots. WTF would I have been doing in DC today?? Brunch???

I know I'm part of the problem, and I don't feel good about that. But its also like - you only have one life to live on this crazy beautiful world. If you are blessed to have the flexibility to be out here skiing powder, it feels pretty foolish to not capitalize on that.

I love Alta, but I do have a sinking feeling that if current trends continue unabated we are going to love it to death....

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post
    Can confirm. Even with the relatively low early snowpack and waking up at 630 every weekend just to get a spot, this has just been far and away the best season I've ever had / the best year of my life.

Supreme bowl was amazing today. Exercise, connecting with nature, the unadulterated joy of faceshots. WTF would I have been doing in DC today?? Brunch???

I know I'm part of the problem, and I don't feel good about that. But its also like - you only have one life to live on this crazy beautiful world. If you are blessed to have the flexibility to be out here skiing powder, it feels pretty foolish to not capitalize on that.

I love Alta, but I do have a sinking feeling that if current trends continue unabated we are going to love it to death....
    Yea, crowds are one thing, but the carbon footprint and contribution towards global warming with airline travel is staggeringly larger than a whole seasons worth of driving to a local hill. Routinely jet setting to ski is just hammering nails in the coffin of our ski seasons. Love winter itself to death.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I know I'm part of the problem, and I don't feel good about that.
    You are not the problem anymore than any of us TBH. All I ask is to not tell us how good we have it as we wait 2 hours to make one left hand turn into BCC, ha. Honestly glad you are smart enough to wake up early to get some good turns in, because good turns in LCC are worth waking up early for, kinda stating the obvious...

Maybe I don't powder panic as hard but I feel like the weekend pow day shit show was as bad or worse ten years ago than now. was just watching an end of season video from 2010 of the red snake and lift lines merging in the parking lot... that feels the same. Was anyone here today? I definitely over forecasted a pow panic shit show. Can we ever really expect any less bad without raising season ticket prices over $5000?

The big impact I notice is the crowds in the mornings on non pow weekdays. It's good for selling breakfasts and coffee but a little tougher to eat in peace...
    Saw you cruising off hamburger with a shiteating grin, it was a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Supreme bowl was amazing today. Exercise, connecting with nature, the unadulterated joy of faceshots..
    Seconded. Probably saw ya out there at some point, I couldn’t leave that area.
    Decisions Decisions

Any resort manager would disagree with you. And as I said before, yes, crowding was slowly happening, but it hit warp speed the last few years.
    I am not sure they would say anything about the situation: mute point and silly to even use. Plus, in Utah, increase of skier visits wasn't slow: look at the data from Ski Utah. The Olympics and good marketing put Utah on the map: what if Utah never had hosted?! It was solid 4 million every year after that (2016-2017 4.5+ mil no ikon, 2018-2019 5 mil partial ikon that year...i can't remember).

Regardless, i don't care. The shit is popular, and we just have to adjust; 90s Alta is never coming back. I ski afternoons, I am still having fun.

There's been a lot of talk of bitches in this thread lately and now y'all bitchin', actually it never stops.
    The ikon pass is the best thing that ever happened to skiing. To think different is just akin to racism. Make it cheaper, is what I say and if ya don't like the crowds go hike for it.
    Y'all just a bunch of elitists. Go skiing, it was really good today and y'all bitchin about the ikon. What a joke.
    Bitch bitch bitch
    Try skiing
    Make it cheaper, the inflation in skiing is ridiculous. Let's help more go skiing cause this shit is really fun and it seems like most of ya be missing out. Seriously skiing should be cheaper, y'all wanna price out my people, da fuck wrong with y'all?!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Where the *eats popcorn* emoji at?

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 20-21

So all you hardcores were born and bred in the beehive state? How many of you turds are from Ohio? Quit shitting on the east, sorry if we’re the best skiers on the hill and we have massive dongs, it’s just what it is. Deal with it!
    Take laps Midwest losers!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Fixed it. But even that I can’t really agree with. I think it’s blown out of proportion but my resort experience is limited to the bird and I try to avoid it on the weekends.

Big snow day today, road closed overnight. Impeding doom and whatnot. I drove up at noon, no traffic, plenty of parking left at upper lcc trailheads (white pine was downright empty!). Skied arguably the most skied backcountry runs in the Wasatch and saw 3 people, crossed hardly a track. Maybe it used to be really fucking awesome here back in the day but it’s still pretty fucking awesome here current day.

Don’t get me wrong, I still think IKON should die a horrible death.
    I grew up @ the mouth of these canyons. Lived in Silverfork for~10 yrs(glad as fuck I no longer live up there). I've witnessed the changes. It's been going on for awhile, but IKON made it exponential.
    Even touring is affected by all the traffic and there are way more people touring too.
    I'm certainly not saying there is not great skiing still, it just costs more, takes longer to get to and fro, and takes a touch more effort.

Quote Originally Posted by powderpow View Post
    There's been a lot of talk of bitches in this thread lately and now y'all bitchin', actually it never stops.
    The ikon pass is the best thing that ever happened to skiing. To think different is just akin to racism. Make it cheaper, is what I say and if ya don't like the crowds go hike for it.
    Y'all just a bunch of elitists. Go skiing, it was really good today and y'all bitchin about the ikon. What a joke.
    Bitch bitch bitch
    Try skiing
    Make it cheaper, the inflation in skiing is ridiculous. Let's help more go skiing cause this shit is really fun and it seems like most of ya be missing out. Seriously skiing should be cheaper, y'all wanna price out my people, da fuck wrong with y'all?!

You're an idiot!
    My pass has gone up in price since IKON and now I pay for parking.
    Know your facts before you start spewing.

When do cars start lining up at the mouth of LCC on a weekend pow day? Residents can't be happy.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Could be increasing population in SLC has nothing to do with it:
    https://apnews.com/article/pandemics...ession%20began.
    https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-had...reau-estimates

same shit of paying for parking, making parking reservations ect happening at our piddly little mountain and we have no ikon/epic.

Keenly aware of increasing population.
    'Exponential' is keyword here. ikon is the reason, no 2 ways about it

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 20-21

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    So all you hardcores were born and bred in the beehive state? How many of you turds are from Ohio? Quit shitting on the east, sorry if we’re the best skiers on the hill and we have massive dongs, it’s just what it is. Deal with it!
    Take laps Midwest losers!
    Just take the “ski the East stickers” off your skis. Or like actually go ski the East.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    You're an idiot!
    My pass has gone up in price since IKON and now I pay for parking.
    Know your facts before you start spewing.
    Waa waaa waaaaa
    Maybe you should have bought an ikon pass if your single resort pass has increased in price?
    I find the ikon pass to be cheaper than most single resort season passes and a much better value
    You're also choosing to ski at one of the best ski resorts in north america, that sits 30 minutes away from 2 million people, shits gonna be crowded idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by powderpow View Post
    Waa waaa waaaaa
    Maybe you should have bought an ikon pass if your single resort pass has increased in price?
    I find the ikon pass to be cheaper than most single resort season passes and a much better value
    You're also choosing to ski at one of the best ski resorts in north america, that sits 30 minutes away from 2 million people, shits gonna be crowded idiot.

The dumb just keep getting dumber.
    I HAVE an ikon pass. To a resort I've been skiing since '91, in a canyon I've been skiing since '83.
    Again, know you're facts before spewage! Or, in other words, think--then speak(or hit send).

Name:  Image1614525485.937837.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  34.0 KB
    crab in my shoe mouth

I guess in the end I'm more offput by the coldness you seem to get from some people when it's mentioned that you're new to the area and on the ikon pass as if any rational person in their position would make a different decision.

It would be interesting to see the daily attendance stats for resorts/passholders and how/when they visit these places. I would never consider using my Alta/Bird or other special pass uses on a weekend. And when you can park less than a minute from the slopes pretty much every weekday and then have to sit in traffic for hours on powder Wednesdays, you don't necessarily feel like you add much of an overall problem to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    The dumb just keep getting dumber.
    I HAVE an ikon pass. To a resort I've been skiing since '91, in a canyon I've been skiing since '83.
    Again, know you're facts before spewage! Or, in other words, think--then speak(or hit send).
    Oh shit bad ass alert!
    Sounds like you're part of the problem to me

Thats all you got?
    Yes, by the nature of the fact that I have a pass, I am part of the problem. Which, in and of itself, is a different issue than ikon pass killing the Wasatch experience as obviously I've been part of the problem since '83.
    I'm not the onemaking up 'facts', so quit cunting the thread
    Last edited by tuco; 02-28-2021 at 12:24 PM.