Page 26 of 170 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    god it felt good to tour the Wasatch again today

spent the day around rocky point, generally great riding conditions, if you don't mind the rocks

the ol face(plant)shot+++

quiet, sunny day and no wind. no instabilities noted outside of some sluffing up high and no rocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reynolds.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	461.9 KB 
ID:	352787

Name:	raymond-gobblers.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	547.8 KB 
ID:	352788

Name:	kessler.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	522.1 KB 
ID:	352789

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    The canyon was the greasiest I’ve ever seen it on the way down. I’m rolling dedicated snows and usually have no troubles. I let a plow turn around in front of me at the top of 7 turns, he polished that shit ahead of me and from then on it was a struggle. I didn’t touch the gas from the bypass to the pump house. Traffic stopped and I started sliding into the stopped plow. I had to pull to the right off the shoulder to miss him and thought I was going to hit his side plow. I sunk in off the shoulder, thought I was fucked but I was able to fight it for about 20 yards before I popped back onto the road.
    I noticed this as well. Running some damn near new blizzaks and had a small scare where I could not get any grip for about 30-40 yards. Haven't had that happen to that degree before. Fortunately, I finally caught traction and was able to stop, but not without a mini heart attack. Saw lots of people scattered across the road behind me.

I think it's about time they make 3PMSF required from November - March, even if you have 4wd/awd. Especially considering how many times they lift the "traction law" at 11am just for it to start dumping at 1pm. Seen far too many Subarus and 4runners in a ditch this year.

Can confirm the greasiness, that was one of the most harrowing descents of LCC and I too have dedicated snow tires + 4wd.

It's honestly ludicrous that all seasons without the 3 peak mountain rating are even allowed during traction restricted times.

How did it ski today?

Heading up to the bird tmrw. Any terrain recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    Can confirm the greasiness, that was one of the most harrowing descents of LCC and I too have dedicated snow tires + 4wd.

It's honestly ludicrous that all seasons without the 3 peak mountain rating are even allowed during traction restricted times.
    What’s even more ridiculous is that the road is that greasy due to the surface that UDOT contracted to have put down. Total failure on their part and they’ve done nothing to help the situation.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post
    How did it ski today?

Heading up to the bird tmrw. Any terrain recommendations?
    Hit the cirque (could not believe my eyes when I saw people going out the traverse) on Sunday and a) the traverse was basically solid rocks the whole way but b) the snow was surprisingly good and felt totally bottomless once you actually dropped on the peruvian side and traversed out as far as possible.

Just want to report in that Deer Valley skied awesome today. Wide open, lots of groomers and lifts open, no lift lines, 90% good skiers on the mountain and just overall great early-season conditions. Well worth using one of your ikon days now.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Anyone ride the UTA bus to get around this season? Has it been easy, or kind of a mess so far?

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Just want to report in that Deer Valley skied awesome today. Wide open, lots of groomers and lifts open, no lift lines, 90% good skiers on the mountain and just overall great early-season conditions. Well worth using one of your ikon days now.
    Nice! Same for me yesterday. Did the post work shift and wasn’t disappointed. Felt like a huge increase in people at PCMR today though (got there at 2pm).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Snuck in just below the top of west bowl today to check on snow conditions and found 50cm of facets with 30cm loose dry on top. ECTP 4. There are going to be some serious beasts lurking for quite a long time on northerly aspects above 9000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    Hit the cirque (could not believe my eyes when I saw people going out the traverse) on Sunday and a) the traverse was basically solid rocks the whole way but b) the snow was surprisingly good and felt totally bottomless once you actually dropped on the peruvian side and traversed out as far as possible.

Lol can confirm it was extremely sketchy dropping in from the traverse. Saw people drop in from the other side using a rope that's there!?! Snow was v good once you cleared the entrance.

Also!!! first tomahawk of the season today!!

If I was a pass holder for only Solitude I would be absolutely livid. They went from a Nov 20th opening date to a December one and to top it off mid-way through December they are still practically not open (unless you call 4 short beginner runs as "open").

I was a Solitude passholder for a long time. I’ve skied Moonbeam and Apex for weeks into several seasons, I was neither livid nor angry. I was happy to be skiing. Going through life angry at everything that doesn’t go your way isn’t a key to a long happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevintheskier View Post
    If I was a pass holder for only Solitude I would be absolutely livid. They went from a Nov 20th opening date to a December one and to top it off mid-way through December they are still practically not open (unless you call 4 short beginner runs as "open").
    Their snowmaking system broke. It was a terribly dry start to the winter. They were spinning Eagle on Sunday so obviously trying to get that open. Snowmaking going on multiple runs. We just hit mid December; all this rage against Solitude is stupid.
    Feel free to ski somewhere else, I won't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevintheskier View Post
    I thought you skied LCC 150 days a year? So don't you already have it figured out? Why do you care about Solitude?

Heading to the Wasatch for a few days tomorrow, hope to see a few of you on the skintrack when I'm not working!

Yes, KevinDuhSkiiiier, please don't ever ski SillyDude again. Channel your anger and REMAIN LIVID. The place S-U-C-K-S. Don't go near it. Ever. It will never get better.

Be a true bro-brah newly-minted Wasnatcher and contemplate the insanity of the LCC gnarnitude of Altaaaah and The Burd.

Or if you're a leisurely dentist, enjoy the high speed groomahs of the backside in Dear Valet and Pork Sushi/Canyunz.

If you must venture up BCC, Bee-Right-On is the most rad awwwesum place to be.

Avoid Solitude at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I thought you skied LCC 150 days a year? So don't you already have it figured out? Why do you care about Solitude?

Heading to the Wasatch for a few days tomorrow, hope to see a few of you on the skintrack when I'm not working!
    friday dawn patrol should be pretty banging, lmk if you're interested

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Spotted at 4:20

Name:	IMG_0516.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	353093

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I can be enticed...

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post

I work real early or i would!

Prediction on Friday morning LCC traffic?

I d like to ski Alta/Bird Friday, but not if it’s going to take an hour to get from the 7 to the mountain.

Also, I call anti-jinx
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Prediction on Friday morning LCC traffic?

I d like to ski Alta/Bird Friday, but not if it’s going to take an hour to get from the 7 to the mountain.

Also, I call anti-jinx
    there will be some traffic if it snows

Snowbird Parking and low tide opening

A few of us are speculating about Snowbird's aggressive early terrain opening this season. This is NOT a complaint! We've never seen terrain open so quickly with a relatively minimal snowpack. It's definitely rock ski conditions to access many lines, but the skiing has been SO good. Rat's Nest into Great Scott has been open for a week [steep dirt entry], and yesterday they even opened sharkey upper Scott off the ridge, and the bony Cirque Traverse offers cautious access to great mid cirque shots.

The parking reservation system has many befuddled, and my thought is that they must have a parking quota linked to available terrain, hence the rapid terrain opening so they can add more parking. [??]

People are frustrated that many parking days are booked up well into next year. However, every Monday at noon more reservations become available, but you have to be quick on the trigger as they disappear.
    Of course there is the fact that early skier compaction is always a good way to stabilize the rotten snowpack [somewhat], and that can be good affect, short term...
    It is not uncommon to see deep fractures and slides in the Cirque [with control work], as storms load it up even after heavy traffic. This may be increasingly possible in the side country this season with increased usage everywhere.
    Tomorrow's storm should create an interesting test of the LCC road restrictions and parking rules, and a prelude to holiday madness.
    Safe travels everyone, enjoy!