Page 20 of 170 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Yeah Snowbird was great! After a week of skiing Alta's short flat groomers it was nice to let her rip on Regulator. Regulator was an absolute blast on GS skis, ice and all. Parking was great, lines were short, MOST people were cool. Around noon I was standing at the front of the line for Gadzoom waiting to be called to pass through the gate and some stranger behind me asked if he could ride with me. I gave him a simple no. He then objected saying, "what you going to take up a whole chair by yourself!". Now remember there is a 20" base, it hasn't snowed in weeks, the only thing open are a few groomers unless you wanted to core shot your skis on Old Ladies which many were, and there was virtually no lines to top it off, and this 25 year old wanted to argue with me about why he can't ride up with me. So I said, "I just wired $20,000 today to pay for the medical care of a child I know in the ICU with covid. I have 12 people who depend on me financially for living expenses and medical care. I am not going to jeopardize their ability to live just because some asshole has the hots for me (I'm a middle age ugly dude) and wants to ride a chair with me". He said something in return I don't remember objecting to my argument and saying I don't know how the lifts work which made me say "I ski 150 days a year here (which I do), I know how the lifts work". That shut him up. I so very very very much wanted him to follow me up Little Cloud though as I know I would have smoked him.

Found a little SnowClaw shovel the other day while skinning in LCC. Anyone here lost it?

I wanted to ski the bird, but i wasn't able to book a parking spot at 11am. I headed up to Alta instead and skied the backside a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Snowbird opener was quite enjoyable today.

Snow was good, the usual early season stuff was served up off of Zoom and Little Cloud bowl was open from the old lady ropeline to the start of puckerbrush. Regulator was firing, not a touch of firmness.
    Sounds grande.

Wilbre runnin?

I'm going to be up your guys way to get some boot work done next Monday/Tuesday at sportsden. What's probably the best place to hit between little and big cottonwood as far as safe COVID procedures/crowds? I figure I should test the boots since i'm making a long ass drive to get them worked on.

I'd say your best bet is anything but Solitude as they are slated to open 12/7 and it will probably be a gong show. Alta felt safe and good this past weekend, no parking restrictions just need to get up early. Bird has parking restrictions but you could take the bus if you feel like playing that game.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    I'm going to be up your guys way to get some boot work done next Monday/Tuesday at sportsden. What's probably the best place to hit between little and big cottonwood as far as safe COVID procedures/crowds? I figure I should test the boots since i'm making a long ass drive to get them worked on.
    Ferguson canyon?

Dead at Alta yesterday and today. No lines all day. I hear the Bird had no parking yesterday but imagine after a week if it doesn't snow Snowbird will be similarly quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Ferguson canyon?

Dead at Alta yesterday and today. No lines all day. I hear the Bird had no parking yesterday but imagine after a week if it doesn't snow Snowbird will be similarly quiet.
    people keeping their masks on up there or wilin' out already?

^^^ not sure, so few people out on the hill I was never close enough to strangers to be able to tell

lifties and fun patrol have done an outstanding job of enforcement in the lift lines without coming across as dicks.

Alta was absolutely empty the last two days. Probably just as many employee cars as customers

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Alta had a great system in place.

Park city not so much

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Alta had a great system in place.

Park city not so much

What makes you say that? I thought PC has been doing OK, their challenge is there's barely any snow

it will be interesting to see if the ski area has come up with a plan to operate without its buckhorn employees

The percentage of ASL employees who don't live in emp housing is much greater than the percentage who do.
    GMD, not so much.
    Either way, I'm sticking with my original prognosis.
    We're fucked.

I think we've had 5 confirmed cases already since we opened. All downtowners.

I appreciate all the local info on what's good right now. You guys are a friendly bunch in SLC

Maybe this is the place to ask, since I mentioned coming up to get some boot work done. I bought some boots at sports den that are nice for control (lange xt3 140) but I'm dying in them after two days of trying. Are the boot wizards at sports den pretty good? I bought from them, so i'm hoping they can get these working. They seemed pretty confident when they put me in this boot earlier this year. Right now I pretty much have to get the boots off after one run the pain/numbness combo is so bad.

At PC this afternoon and people with masks down etc in line, strangers on chairs and no one saying anything

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Sportsden is good but if you get the work done and still can’t be comfortable, there are tons of good boot fitters in valley. My go to has disappeared but Mandy at Level9 is great. Something that changed the world for me in my boots was getting the canting adjusted.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I bought Lange XTs at Sports Den a few years back and had good luck with them getting them dial into my rather problematic feet. Also had them do some canting/shim work with another pair. I'd give them a chance but make sure you are not working with one of the B Team guys. My experience was that not all the guys selling boots were top notch boot fitters.

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    I appreciate all the local info on what's good right now. You guys are a friendly bunch in SLC

Maybe this is the place to ask, since I mentioned coming up to get some boot work done. I bought some boots at sports den that are nice for control (lange xt3 140) but I'm dying in them after two days of trying. Are the boot wizards at sports den pretty good? I bought from them, so i'm hoping they can get these working. They seemed pretty confident when they put me in this boot earlier this year. Right now I pretty much have to get the boots off after one run the pain/numbness combo is so bad.
    Sports den has some really good fitters, but some of them are just kids. I would ask for either mike (owner / manager) or the slimish guy in his late 20's with dark hair and a beard. Both are excellent.

Yes be sure to go in and ask for the slimish guy if you want good work

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    We're fucked.
    Since this forum is the best place for worthless prognostication..... for how long are we fucked? just one 1-2 week period? or are all the businesses and lifts going to be on a cycle of closed/open/closed/open until spring?

Since this forum is the best place for worthless prognostication..... for how long are we fucked? just one 1-2 week period? or are all the businesses and lifts going to be on a cycle of closed/open/closed/open until spring?
    I think it's possible to keep the lifts turning until spring if people are anal about protocols, but we are probably fucked.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I’d say things will mostly stay open but the place and scope of things will probably end and flow. Restaurants will close for sure. But the whole world could come crashing down due to the Funland party kids

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    The percentage of ASL employees who don't live in emp housing is much greater than the percentage who do.
    GMD, not so much.
    We're fucked.

I think we've had 5 confirmed cases already since we opened. All downtowners.
    that's the kind of beta I'm looking for! dammmnnnn

the longer this high pressure goes on for the more likely the lodges have an outbreak