Page 143 of 148 FirstFirst ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 3680
  1. #3551
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,915
    Am I an idiot to be considering a tour on Friday? Overnight lows don't look like they'll get below 40. Tentatively considering the Box Elder NW Cirque/Super Couloir.

    Lazy option is to go redeem my Bird pass, but itching for something more adventurous.

  2. #3552
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Am I an idiot to be considering a tour on Friday? Overnight lows don't look like they'll get below 40. Tentatively considering the Box Elder NW Cirque/Super Couloir.

    Lazy option is to go redeem my Bird pass, but itching for something more adventurous.
    ya that's not great corn weather, I typically like upper 20/low 30s for nighttime lows to mid 50s (daytime highs) with clear skies for corn, but if the snow has fully transitioned or the crust is thick (almost fully transitioned) then you may be able to get away with it. Its also NW facing which buys ya some time, if it was directly east, I think you'd be screwed unless in position to ski near sunrise.

    I'd also take my advice with a grain of salt. Corn in the wasatch is an elusive fruit and I'm often surprised to score corn when I was expecting mush or ice (and vice versa, ice instead of corn).

    I feel out of touch with the snowpack right now as I was in Montana the first week of May and only skied "inbounds" over the weekend. Alta on saturday for day 100 and DV on sunday for mother's day. Both skied good, but I could have been later as both days I dropped in a tad early. Turns were good, but could have been gooder

    Name:  PXL_20210508_172612882.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  236.0 KB

  3. #3553
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,915
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I'd also take my advice with a grain of salt. Corn in the wasatch is an elusive fruit and I'm often surprised to score corn when I was expecting mush or ice (and vice versa, ice instead of corn).
    Right? On paper it's definitely not ideal for corn harvesting. But a NW aspect, and overnight lows tonight through Thurs morning look favorable so maybe it will hold up. It would definitely be a bad place to trigger a wet slide. Worst case I do the walk of shame back down the summer trail.

    It's just me for now, if anyone's interested let me know.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-10-2021 at 03:11 PM.

  4. #3554
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Right? On paper it's definitely not ideal for corn harvesting. But a NW aspect, and overnight lows tonight through Thurs morning look favorable so maybe it will hold up. It would definitely be a bad place to trigger a wet slide. Worst case I do the walk of shame back down the summer trail.

    It's just me for now, if anyone's interested let me know.
    What's the forecasted cloud cover? If clear, I'd go for it.

  5. #3555
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3,302
    Anybody know when the Alta pass prices go up?

  6. #3556
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the brew room
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Anybody know when the Alta pass prices go up?
    Looks like June 9th.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #3557
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,915
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    What's the forecasted cloud cover? If clear, I'd go for it.
    Mostly sunny.

  8. #3558
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    3,302
    Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Looks like June 9th.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thank you sir.

  9. #3559
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    550
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	943.9 KB 
ID:	374249
    N facing at Alta was pretty good last night, inch of fresh on a soft base

  10. #3560
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    836
    ^^^ big thanks to dibs for core shot skills and hookup for the 11 yr old!! keeping him skiing the bird to the end.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t-shirt.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	374250

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mineral.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	374251

    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Corn in the wasatch is an elusive fruit and I'm often surprised to score corn when I was expecting mush or ice (and vice versa, ice instead of corn).
    ^ elusive indeed. definitely get it wrong more than right, but found plenty of smooth lines off sunset and in around catherines saturday.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	355.8 KB 
ID:	374252

  11. #3561
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Mostly sunny.
    Night is the key, if it's clear overnight I'd go for it. If you wake up to clouds, I'd bail.

  12. #3562
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,915
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Night is the key, if it's clear overnight I'd go for it. If you wake up to clouds, I'd bail.
    Radiational cooling can go a long way. Thursday is supposed to clear as a bell, Thursday night is the painfully ambiguous "partly cloudy." I'll see what the hourly cloud cover estimates are Thursday afternoon and decide then.

  13. #3563
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    ^ elusive indeed. definitely get it wrong more than right, but found plenty of smooth lines off sunset and in around catherines saturday.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	355.8 KB 
ID:	374252
    but when you get it right, that's what keeps me coming back again and again. Dropped in a little early this morning on apollo but it still beats walking down the west slabs.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	west slab.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	512.3 KB 
ID:	374295

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	down apollo.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	420.5 KB 
ID:	374296

    Name:  PXL_20210511_170840053.MP.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  261.8 KB

    such a fun outing.

  14. #3564
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Radiational cooling can go a long way. Thursday is supposed to clear as a bell, Thursday night is the painfully ambiguous "partly cloudy." I'll see what the hourly cloud cover estimates are Thursday afternoon and decide then.
    Yeah... was thinking Thursday morning would be a good time for a walk up some part of Alta. Still learning the ropes around here so still have to figure out how to time my walk/descent. Thinking something easy in the Albion/Catherine’s area...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

  15. #3565
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    PC
    Posts
    30
    Any beta on Deseret Peak? Thinking of hitting it Saturday morning. Need a good ass kicking and ski/skin. Not a lot of recent pics, but from what I can see it’s still decent up there. Assuming a bit of hike in dirt before the skis go on?

  16. #3566
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by TWA View Post
    Any beta on Deseret Peak? Thinking of hitting it Saturday morning. Need a good ass kicking and ski/skin. Not a lot of recent pics, but from what I can see it’s still decent up there. Assuming a bit of hike in dirt before the skis go on?
    The road is still closed to vehicles at Boy Scout campground 2 mi from the TH. There was a landslide near the Narrows, will take a couple more weeks for the road to open.

  17. #3567
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    PC
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The road is still closed to vehicles at Boy Scout campground 2 mi from the TH. There was a landslide near the Narrows, will take a couple more weeks for the road to open.
    Gotcha. Thanks dude!

  18. #3568
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,767
    Quote Originally Posted by TWA View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks dude!
    My kid skied it last weekend and said it skied well, still smooth with lots of snow in the chutes.

  19. #3569
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,915
    Forecast for Friday night and Saturday is mostly cloudy with lows in the high 40s and possible thunderstorms Saturday. Seems decidedly less than ideal.

    I'm probably bailing on my Box Elder idea tomorrow. Lows are supposed to be around 44 and rapidly rising into the high 50s by 10. 40% cloud cover all night so there probably won't be much radiational cooling.

  20. #3570
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,873
    Superior still goes but not for long. Dropped in around 930-945, which seemed about perfect for creamed corn.

    Name:  PXL_20210513_152600273.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  271.1 KB

  21. #3571
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,915
    Didja access via the South Ridge?

    I would not have expected it to go based on Benneke's pic from Monday. Nice shot.

  22. #3572
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Didja access via the South Ridge?

    I would not have expected it to go based on Benneke's pic from Monday. Nice shot.
    No south ridge, ain't got time for that haha
    My buddies had to side step through the choke on the main shot off the summit. I got impatient after the first dropped and skied down the ridge to the more east facing ramps. I don't think that main shot will last till the end of the day and going from the second apron to the last is getting pretty thin too.

  23. #3573
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,393
    How is Albion side up to lodge or Catherine’s?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32

    2020/2021 (20/24)

  24. #3574
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    How is Albion side up to lodge or Catherine’s?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I was up in that area this week and it was still in good shape. East Castle / Castle / Gunsight were all pretty smooth and skiing very well. So Long looked good from a distance. S facing aspects (e.g., Emma's) are going fast. Biggest issue right now is questionable overnight refreeze (as noted above).

  25. #3575
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,393
    It was pretty good at Alta this morning. Snow was fast and fun and still holding up by supreme

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1621029753.490700.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	374626

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1621029765.867977.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	374627

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1621029777.200300.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	374628


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32

    2020/2021 (20/24)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •