Page 142 of 170 FirstFirst ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 4250
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    You need to gain some altitude to get to Blackjack traverse from the WC lot though.
    Thanks. I've been on that cat tract coming back to Wildcat from Westward Ho a few times and know it is kinda flat. My question is if I get on the Blackjack Traverse just above the Alta parking lot how much work do I have to ski over to the Tram at SB? Is it pretty much a XC slog or more of a no sweat decline?
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Thanks. I've been on that cat tract coming back to Wildcat from Westward Ho a few times and know it is kinda flat. My question is if I get on the Blackjack Traverse just above the Alta parking lot how much work do I have to ski over to the Tram at SB? Is it pretty much a XC slog or more of a no sweat decline?
    If this is to ski closed alta yes you 100% can ski and it's all downhill.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

My question is if I get on the Blackjack Traverse just above the Alta parking lot how much work do I have to ski over to the Tram at SB? Is it pretty much a XC slog or more of a no sweat decline?
    if you aren't able to skate or traverse, you can walk on pavement.

This is for when the areas are both open. I live in BCC and can take first chairs up at Solitude, traverse over and sidestep up to Twin Lakes Pass and then ski down into Alta, grab the rope tow and arrive at the bottom of Collins at about 9:45. Trying to figure out if I'm going to ski SB should I hassle with the the Alta to Bird shuttle bus, or it is quicker and easier to just walk up to the base of Wildcat and ski over to the Tram/Peruvian. Sounds like I don't have to skate, so just trying to weigh that against the bus. Not interested in a ski boot walk on pavement. Thanks, I appreciate all your input.

This is for when the areas are both open. I live in BCC and can take first chairs up at Solitude, traverse over and sidestep up to Twin Lakes Pass and then ski down into Alta, grab the rope tow and arrive at the bottom of Collins at about 9:45. Trying to figure out if I'm going to ski SB should I hassle with the the Alta to Bird shuttle bus, or it is quicker and easier to just walk up to the base of Wildcat and ski over to the Tram/Peruvian. Sounds like I don't have to skate, so just trying to weigh that against the bus. Not interested in a ski boot walk on pavement. Thanks, I appreciate all your input.
    What is your pass situation? Assuming you have an Ikon pass, just use the lifts at Alta to get to the Bird, since you have AltaBird access anyways. Otherwise, I'd probably just hop on the UTA bus, it will be empty Alta->Bird in the mornings.

The line your thinking from the Wildcat base is shown on Google Maps as Powder Ridge Rd and essentially drops you on the Bypass Rd. It’s reasonably flat to slightly uphill until you reach Sugar Plum Rd, then is downhill past Powderbirds where you can gain the Bypass Parking access in-run to the Tram. If you go this route you’ll need reasonable coverage on the side of the Rd to navigate without walking. It won’t be just a glide. Alternatively (if not riding an Alta Lift) you need to skin to gain some altitude in Westward Ho to get to the BlackJack Condo area, or higher for the more traditional BlackJack Return Route. Doable but may be quicker to grab the Van at GMD.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That worked the last couple of years, but according to a phone call to Ikon next season you no longer get Alta/Bird tickets for the day, but just one or the other, so I'd burn an Alta ticket for one ride up Wildcat.
    Gravity Junkie

That worked the last couple of years, but according to a phone call to Ikon next season you no longer get Alta/Bird tickets for the day, but just one or the other, so I'd burn an Alta ticket for one ride up Wildcat.
    Oh, well that's different. A quick glance at the Ikon website doesn't make that very clear.

Oh, well that's different. A quick glance at the Ikon website doesn't make that very clear.
    Thats pretty concerning and makes me regret going Ikon..

Quote Originally Posted by ski_the_fraulein View Post
    The line your thinking from the Wildcat base is shown on Google Maps as Powder Ridge Rd and essentially drops you on the Bypass Rd. It’s reasonably flat to slightly uphill until you reach Sugar Plum Rd, then is downhill past Powderbirds where you can gain the Bypass Parking access in-run to the Tram. If you go this route you’ll need reasonable coverage on the side of the Rd to navigate without walking. It won’t be just a glide. Alternatively (if not riding an Alta Lift) you need to skin to gain some altitude in Westward Ho to get to the BlackJack Condo area, or higher for the more traditional BlackJack Return Route. Doable but may be quicker to grab the Van at GMD.
    Thanks, that is exactly what I thought but was hoping I was wrong. The Blackjack Lodge website mentions "ski in/ski out" but says you need to start up higher to cut across from Alta, which is why I posed my question. I may give the traverse a try but it looks like I'll be taking a short shuttle ride to start my day at Snowbird.

As for the Ikon Alta/Bird combo days being changed to one-or-the-other, based on my prior interactions with Ikon you might get a different answer if you talk to someone else there.

Alta and Alterra: "how can we make the most money off people selling both our pass and the ikon pass while pissing off both alta locals and SLC locals hoping to ski altabird"

Apparently t's all in the coma, which is what prompted my call for clarification.
    Gravity Junkie

Apparently t's all in the coma, which is what prompted my call for clarification.
    Ikon FAQ says they are COMBINED in all caps. Sorry, dumb app won't let me share a screenshot.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...ect-identified

Hopefully this worthless POS never skis another pow run in his life.

“Once that when we went into his garage, he told us that he never wanted to sell them, he was afraid he was going to get caught and he never wanted to use them, he just felt compelled to steal them.”

Hard to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    “Once that when we went into his garage, he told us that he never wanted to sell them, he was afraid he was going to get caught and he never wanted to use them, he just felt compelled to steal them.”

Hard to believe
    He should have posted in the "show us your quiver" thread.

If you've parked at Snowbird for a while you probably know Bubba. He's a long time parking attendant up there. He was the one who noticed the guy and followed him back to his car and got his plate number. He has his car in my shop and was in yesterday and told me about this.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_the_fraulein View Post
    Alternatively (if not riding an Alta Lift) you need to skin to gain some altitude in Westward Ho to get to the BlackJack Condo area, or higher for the more traditional BlackJack Return Route. Doable but may be quicker to grab the Van at GMD.
    I used to do this but now they dont leave the keys in the ignition anymore

Good on Snowbird to go the extra mile to get that guy

Ikon FAQ says they are COMBINED in all caps. Sorry, dumb app won't let me share a screenshot.
    You are correct. I found another place in the FAQs that says it is "combined access between the mountains." So the lady at Ikon I talked to apparently had her head up her ass. Not the first time I've experienced that with Ikon.
    Gravity Junkie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4886.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	373858

Hadn’t ever been up the west slabs before, might as well take skis

Name:	IMG_4895.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	373859

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    summit doesnt open till 930 and its not that high speed of a lift
    and the highway isnt always open
    if you need to go all the way to the sol bright exit youll need to skin up the tlp trade route
    no way you git on a chair at alta at 945 its gonna be 10ish
    maybe from millie at 9
    but yes it does seem like it will be easier for me to park for free in the bcc to ski the lcc
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post

Name:	IMG_4886.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	373858

Hadn’t ever been up the west slabs before, might as well take skis

Name:	IMG_4895.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	373859
    Hell ya dfinn! Glad to see some stoke in here! How was the snow in Apollo?

Pretty nice for the most part. Some funky avy debris towards the bottom but fun corn’ish snow for the majority of it.

Am I an idiot to be considering a tour on Friday? Overnight lows don't look like they'll get below 40. Tentatively considering the Box Elder NW Cirque/Super Couloir.

Lazy option is to go redeem my Bird pass, but itching for something more adventurous.