Page 110 of 170 FirstFirst ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 4250
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Hey mags, I found a pair of CRJ's for sale in the south Jordan area. I live in CO now, would anyone be able to snag them for me and ship them to me? They have a pair of frame bindings on them (look like some diamirs) that you can keep as a payment of sorts (or I can send ya like 20 bucks). thanks!
    Sent you a pm.

My first day skiing was at Alta in 1978.
    I don’t have many stories about the actual skiing and instead remember my dad showing up at my school to pull me out from 2nd grade to go ski.
    The lunches he packed us were far from healthy and remember the 1lb bag of peanut M&Ms that were always in the car.
    My dads love for good parking was passed onto me. Backing the 72’ Nova in on the Albion side and skiing from the car and back to it for a handful of M&Ms was a regular thing.
    Spring skiing in shorts and no shirt when being fit wasn’t such a challenge was always fun as well.
    Finding unused Albion 10 punch passes over the years at his house explains why seeing Albion running a few years ago would get to riding it happily. Mrsjmills and kids grew tired of it pretty quick but what do they know.
    My dad is 75 now so when I called him a few weeks ago and asked if I could take him skiing at Alta with me, I wasn’t surprised when he said he has a tough time going up and down stairs with knee issues and skiing isn’t possible for him.
    Riding Albion, good parking, junk food, skiing without a shirt, and skiing Alta instead of being at school or work will always remind me of the best days ever at Alta and always looking forward to tomorrow.

My memories of the first lift served skiing was at Brighton in the early 60's through the Salt Lake Tribune ski school. You progressed from basics to Mary lift, then Majestic, finishing on the Milly single chair. even in now my sense of skiing is includes the olfactory, burgers and dogs on the grill and the smell of lithium grease from those old chair lifts.

First time I skied Snowbird it snowed 2 feet overnight. Previously I hadn't skied any powder that wasn't boot top at the most. We were visiting from Montana for a bump contest. I was 18 and carpooled with competitors who got up early before they closed the canyon for bombing so they could register in time. I blew off the comp, got on the first tram, and couldn't figure out why a buncha people basically ran off that tram to go skiing. I then made one turn and understood. I had zero idea how to ski deep pow, so i remember leaning wayyyyy back to get down. What a great first, real powder day.

New Years Eve 1978 or 9, pull into Alta with a CJ-5 in morning, ski all day and it was dumping. No plans. We are 2 18 year old guys. We get waisted at the Peruvian. I haven’t been there in a long time, but back then they had a big fireplace and Xmas tree. We crash next to the fireplace (no charge). When we wake up, there is a 30” blanket of new year snow. Since then, only I care that I ski at Alta, and I understood how easy it is to become an altaholic
    This would never happen today
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Lovin it. Keep em comin.

B 2020 I remember that Hayduke. Typical of what we'd been taught to believe; big tough male shepherds ftw. That all changed on account of one event.

January? '88? Not gonna fact check. Slide on the Figure 8 hill. Powderbirds flies over soon after, sees the slide and the victim's wife flagging them down from the top of the moraine. They land Patrick Mullen who does a beacon search with no results. The ship had already gone inbound for me and a Bernese Mtn. Dog for this eventuality. We land on top and I interview his wife for last seen point. Working conditions were excellent; a steady cross and downslope 10 mph breeze.
    Nothing.
    He's either buried pretty deep, and the scents not up, or she's got the last seen point wrong. That moraine is convex as many are, meaning it wraps around; a 50 foot traverse on top is exponentially greater with elevation loss. We cast a broader search, as two more search dogs arrive by traversing in from Brighton and Solitude. Two alpha male shepherds who hadn't trained together. Proving who was tougher was more important to them than searching for a human under the snow, a dog fight.

Next flight in brings Crystal. One year old yellow lab bitch outta the Alta. Raised and trained by Dave MacNally. On site less than ten minutes she alerts and indicates. Bout 45 minutes in? Mind you the site is now contaminated by 25 or so folks who have traversed in from the resorts and are actively searching for the missing person.

Was he deep? No, maybe 2 feet. Against a small tree which helped the debri from compacting allowing for scent rise. Was his scent up when I was searching? Prolly so. Heartbreaking. A potential save. He was warm and flexible when dug up; CPR was performed. That Bernese worked as well that day as he had in him. Wrong breed. Combative 100 lb. male shepherds that corner vollies in shacks weren't right, either.

Dogs then and now are owned or at least funded by the ski areas and trained for the eventuality of an in area event. To arrive quickly with a fresh dog, one must carry a dog to site. Carrying a large aggressive dog to site on the skinnier skis of the day in deep snow, which is when avalanches occur, was exhausting and sometimes epic. My current lab bitch is 50 pounds and super high drive which we select for. With fat skis even the FOG can carry her there...

That incident not only changed many of our views on breeds and sex, it also prompted WBR to have biennial dog schools. In state one year, out of state the next. WBR has mentored many western ski areas get programs started and.

Back to that long ago day and the old Powderbird shack, top of Chickadee, a sheriff's deputy is examining the deceased's pack which I brought in on my flight out. Mullen is present. Out comes a Pieps, when they still had a cloth case which concealed the setting until unzipped. Glanced at Mullen who was purse lipped. Deputy unzips it. Off.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Not sure if I’ve told you in person or not, but thanks for all you’ve done to keep us skiing throughout the years. You and your family are stellar individuals and I’m glad y’all have been a part of the canyon communities throughout the years.

Great stories! Thanks all, especially tFw. It's easy to see how the notions we have about dog breeds can get in the way of which ones work best in the field. Now about all the different humans out in the hills...

Got up into Days over the last couple. Group of 5 yesterday. Despite the inherent issues, I think we did a good job of keeping all the Dads safe.
    Spread the group out when necessary.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6252_M.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	364872

Backed off a skinner accessing the ridge between Main and Upper. Retreated down to Chickenshit ridge. Skiing was pdg.

Name:	DSC_6269_M.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	462.5 KB 
ID:	364873

There was a lone track into the Draw aways down the ridge. Seemed like a bad idea, but maybe that part didn't rip in the early February cycle. The rest of it is reloaded with half the facets? still in the basement.

My buddy had a good story from 30 years back. He was with a couple other guys skinning up into the Draw. When they got up to a point of reckoning where it got steep and they had to leave the relative safety of the trees, he got spooked. They backed off. He skied out, leaving the other two guys to it. Later that evening he was shocked when an avalanche accident and rescue in Days Draw was reported on the local news! His friends had gone back up and pushed the same track a little further before it came down on them. One was able to self arrest and the other went to the bottom through all the small trees mangling his ankle along the way.

I was back up the ridge this morning soaking up the sunshine and filling in snow pits.

Name:	DSC_6317_M.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	364878

We didn't pass by this way the day before, but it was likely two days old and the chunder was refrozen. Had to get the shovel out to deal with it.

Name:	DSC_6319_M.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	501.0 KB 
ID:	364879

The blue dragon was slaying it over in Main. They dropped down the ridge and off the shoulder into Banana Belt as well.

Name:	DSC_6329_M.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	364881

I hoped this bold track up into the gut was from the day prior. I'm thinking that WPG probably confirmed whether anyone was below them as their clients descended the ridge above.

Name:	DSC_6322_M.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	364885

Nice days in Days. The choppa was also busy in Cardiff, picking the eyes out of scary moderate. They hammered George's with the exception of the recent slide in the north corner.

Name:	DSC_6332_M.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	477.3 KB 
ID:	364886

Name:	DSC_6333_M.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	610.8 KB 
ID:	364932
    Last edited by JKnight; 02-26-2021 at 10:04 AM.

Loving the stories tfw. So I'm an idiot and left my skins in Colorado. Is there anyone that has something that will fit a 186cm 106 underfoot ski that they'd be willing to let me borrow for a couple days? I was hoping to go on a quick dusk patrol after work today. Probably only makes sense if you're in the north end of the valley, say millcreek, sugarhouse, or close to the U. Yes, I am an idiot.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Loving the stories tfw. So I'm an idiot and left my skins in Colorado. Is there anyone that has something that will fit a 186cm 106 underfoot ski that they'd be willing to let me borrow for a couple days? I was hoping to go on a quick dusk patrol after work today. Probably only makes sense if you're in the north end of the valley, say millcreek, sugarhouse, or close to the U. Yes, I am an idiot.
    i have a 99 underfoot pair of bd tractor glidelights c bout that length ill leave at the millcreek L9 store 4 u
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i have a 99 underfoot pair of bd tractor glidelights c bout that length ill leave at the millcreek L9 store 4 u
    You are the man! I'll swing by and pick em up after work this afternoon. I can either bring em back there or drop em at your house before I leave town Monday AM.

I’ve got 2x sets in that size/length too so pm/ig dm if needed

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I've got 185 x 106 skins. Heading out for skiing in 30ish but can leave outside.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Loving the stories tfw. So I'm an idiot and left my skins in Colorado. Is there anyone that has something that will fit a 186cm 106 underfoot ski that they'd be willing to let me borrow for a couple days? I was hoping to go on a quick dusk patrol after work today.
    Sent ta a PM. Not about the skins, but about skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
    Great stories! Thanks all, especially tFw. It's easy to see how the notions we have about dog breeds can get in the way of which ones work best in the field. Now about all the different humans out in the hills...

Got up into Days over the last couple. Group of 5 yesterday. Despite the inherent issues, I think we did a good job of keeping all the Dads safe.
    Thanks for keeping this thread on track with an actual recent observation haha
    I was about to suggest we re-name this thread "the wasatch remembers and reminisces "
    Just kidding, I do love the stories and should probably contribute

speaking of which, muted, when did you ski bumps? I grew up bump skiing in the Wasatch in the 90s. If you were competing during that time we probably knew each other. I was the guy on the podium Just kidding, the intermountain division was stacked when I was a kid. Jaret Peterson, Tanner Hall, Nate Roberts, Kyle Dempster was on the bird's freestyle team though I don't remember that he podiumed much, just to name a few.

Thanks everyone, I think dibs has me all set!

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Sent ta a PM. Not about the skins, but about skiing.

Thanks for keeping this thread on track with an actual recent observation haha
    I was about to suggest we re-name this thread "the wasatch remembers and reminisces "
    Just kidding, I do love the stories and should probably contribute

speaking of which, muted, when did you ski bumps? I grew up bump skiing in the Wasatch in the 90s. If you were competing during that time we probably knew each other. I was the guy on the podium Just kidding, the intermountain division was stacked when I was a kid. Jaret Peterson, Tanner Hall, Nate Roberts, Kyle Dempster was on the bird's freestyle team though I don't remember that he podiumed much, just to name a few.
    iMy story above was from 1992 and I skied with Mickey Price, Tony Gilpin, Mike Pabke, Mike Leslie, Kevin Miller (and T Hall who was much younger and before he moved to Utah). I went to maybe 2 Alta contests and 2 SB contests and travelled to a bunch of other intermountain contest that were in MT and WY.

Not ski related but I know we have some dog lovers that might be interested.

We are fostering a young (1.5 yr), female, Chesapeake Bay Retriever Rescue. Her name is Paisley and she was surrendered by her family do to generally bad circumstance (she was having to be outside 24/7 and its too cold for that shit). She is being fostered through Chesapeake Bay Retriever Relief and Rescue. Shes a beautiful "sedge" color (light brown/ reddish) with that thick curly Chessie mane and darker colored feet. Shes a great girl. She's small for a Chessie at about 50lbs. Very athletic, loves the retrieve. She's house trained and knows her basic commands and is smart and ready to learn lots more. She loves everybody: dogs, kids, strangers (jury is still out on cats). She needs lots of exercise and does work on chew toys. With a little training she will be an amazing hiking/ biking buddy, take her to the Uintas and shell swim in every lake you pass by.

CBR&R has a process for adopting, and there is a fee but she will come fully vaccinated and she is in great health. The CBR&R process can be a bit cumbersome but I can help that along to get her an awesome home. She is currently in Sandy if you want to meet her (outside/ Covid safe). Were working on getting her pics and information online but here's what we have so far. You can contact CBR&R directly or feel free to send me a DM.

This has some incorrect info that will be changed and photos added:

thttps://app.cbrrescue.org/CBRRescueSA/AvailableRescueDogs.html?qu=eyJ1c2VySUQiOjY3MywidX NlckRpc3BsYXlOYW1lIjoiZ290dGFqaWJvb0Bob3RtYWlsLmNv bSIsInVzZXJSb2xlcyI6WyJzdWJzY3JpYmVyIl0sInVzZXJGaX JzdE5hbWUiOiJKYWNvYiIsInVzZXJMYXN0TmFtZSI6IkV2YW5z IiwidXNlckVtYWlsIjoiZ290dGFqaWJvb0Bob3RtYWlsLmNvbS J9

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/cbrrescuereliefsouthwest/

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    FYI just don’t let Udot or the Alta marshals catch you. When the gates are down the road is technically closed to foot traffic also. They’re trying to still protect the by pass road and superior lot at the bird. Both of which got hammered by little superior during the last Avy cycle. Hellgate residents often have straight line travel options only accessible by calling Alta central. This is a weird gray area that I’m hoping gets resolved soon.
    Grey area for sure. If the BC closure isn't in place Superior is fair game.
    the Hellgate Road restriction is to allow small amounts of traffic moving back and forth between the bypass and residents homes. This is done because the Gazex systems allow the Avy danger to be lessened more often in that area. Foot traffic is not as fast and increases the risk for travel in the area. I have seen people put their skins back on and skin up above the road without ever touching it physically, Hard to trespass on something you're not on... Just saying. Also Not sure if the road counts as a road if its five feet under debris. but I'm no lawyer. Big fan of Superior skier compaction Just wish I was compacting it more!
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Paging shindlers to the chessie in need of a chessie person phone
    Skins are behind the main checkout desk in a black bag
    Shop pup stoke

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

She is a cutie!… I wish. Have Ms. SFB contact Mrs. Schindler
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Has this been posted yet?

What happened to his Miller Short Softs? He machined a waxless base into a number of pair of Millers.
    The original snow farmer was Walt Shylock. We named Mill D North after him, wally world.
    He hung his boots in a tree at the trailhead and left them there all winter.
    Most impressive was the the time he spooned turns all the way across the face of Reynolds.
    Haven't seen Dave for a few years. They changed the buses and he always caught the 90th south ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hardkorps View Post
    the Hellgate Road restriction is to allow small amounts of traffic moving back and forth between the bypass and residents homes. This is done because the Gazex systems allow the Avy danger to be lessened more often in that area. Foot traffic is not as fast and increases the risk for travel in the area. I have seen people put their skins back on and skin up above the road without ever touching it physically, Hard to trespass on something you're not on... Just saying. Also Not sure if the road counts as a road if its five feet under debris. but I'm no lawyer. Big fan of Superior skier compaction Just wish I was compacting it more!
    Thanks for clarifying the situation

Quote Originally Posted by hardkorps View Post
    Thanks korps. Well articulated.
    12:30 rd. closure; don't forget to unplug the spark plugs in the bivy tubes...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Name:	IMG_3162.jpeg 
Views:	124 
Size:	697.0 KB 
ID:	365043

Name:	IMG_3785.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	365044

We were a few hours ahead of the storm but plenty of soft turns still to be had! Thanks again for hooking me up with the skins dibs! I'll get em back to you monday after a quick dawn patrol.