Page 109 of 170 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 4250
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I'll never forget visiting a friend during the spring of 99 while sitting with him and a pretty young lady poolside at the P-Dawg and watching ten or so male employees go full on Nat-Geo, horny monkey style in the pool. It was quite the show as they went full-retard having one pretty gal there.
    Believe it or not, ratios are getting pretty even.
    Id like to think we have Westminster, the U, and the exploitation of the outdoor culture via Instagram models to thank for that.

does anyone know of any powder mtn vouchers/discounts? thinking of heading up soon

do not, but I have 4 snowbasin 50% off's if anyone wants to try. I need to buy in advance and it appears I have to physically go there to buy the ticket

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    do not, but I have 4 snowbasin 50% off's if anyone wants to try. I need to buy in advance and it appears I have to physically go there to buy the ticket
    We gave out buddy passes Sunday, you do have to be there in person and you do not need to buy in advance if in person. Even if they sell out of day tickets, like they did Saturday, they will still allow buddy passes to be purchased.

Unless you figured out a way to buy buddy passes online and yer saying you just have to pick them up day-of? I didn't see that option online but I didn't look too hard either.

No I have not tried buddy passes online. On their website it says you can buy in advance at the wildflower yurt, but not sure you can do it online or with a phone call.

Good to know on the same day even if they are sold out. Not really enjoying the Epic season this year. I know it's par for the course now at all the wasatch resorts but I'm seeing TONS more epic in lines this year compared to last. New norm baby!

http://carltonautstraveltips.com/202...on-the-slopes/

Some tips for wasatch_carpetbagger

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Very helpful stuff!!

• Bring ski poles. After a day at Alta Ski Area, I would encourage everyone to bring them – especially if it’s a powder day. There are some areas of the mountain that are pretty level, and we often lost our momentum from the downhill and had to cross-country ski to get to the next downhill part. Ski poles would’ve made that a little easier.

One things I really love about Alta Ski Area is that from each lift, there are directional signs showing “Easiest Way” down the mountain. I need signs that reassure me I am not overtaxing my abilities. Haha!
    pure gold

"When we got stuck on the bus for four hours trying to get home, a fruit leather was a welcome snack"

Brutal. At least he had leather snacks.

Alta felt weird today. First, I'm not used to the road being closed, but the bypass is fun. Second, this morning the snow was good enough, but Alta was crowded, the parking lot was near full at 10:00, visibility was restricted and it was downright soupy.

Welcome to Alta on a Tuesday in February.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Alta felt weird today. First, I'm not used to the road being closed, but the bypass is fun. Second, this morning the snow was good enough, but Alta was crowded, the parking lot was near full at 10:00, visibility was restricted and it was downright soupy.

perhaps you should have reviewed carlton's tips for enjoying alta prior to your ski day

While I am not sure what you were getting at or what exactly that means, they are just observations from a person, me, huskies Alta just about every Tuesday. A little strange today
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Alta felt weird today.
    It's probably because the places that used to be flat, are now level.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Goggles! Goggles! I never thought of that!

edit: optimism deleted.

Been thinking, as else have, that this year is having a profoundly negative effect on all.
    Been telling stories to try and remedy.
    Weirdest year in our lifetimes.
    Hopefully for generations to come.
    Love to hear folks telling their own stories.
    Come on now...
    Please?
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 02-24-2021 at 07:22 PM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Been thinking, as else have, that this year is having a profoundly negative effect on all.
    I think over the next year or two people will appreciate things a bit more and it’ll add up.

I don’t have great stories but I’m stoned and eating dinner at the Peruvian. Guy on our trip won’t stop fucking talking and it’s driving me to drink even more and post on TGR.

So there’s non tfw story #1
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Been telling stories to try and remedy.
    Weirdest year in our lifetimes.
    Hopefully for generations to come.
    Love to hear folks telling their own stories.
    Come on now...
    Please?
    Got a good one for ya. Anyone who has been up to Patsy lately and has seen the big cornice that has broken off and left a mini cornice crevasse...

Well probably 8 or so years ago we were teaching AST in Japan and I started heading up a ridge to look for a place we could enter the bowl safely and ski out back to the car. The night before it had snowed quite a bit of low density fluffiness, as is the norm. The wind had picked up, as is also the norm, and drifted quite a bit of snow that day. Jimbo, the other guide teaching the course was preoccupied explaining the difference between hard and soft slab to a likely prevailingly Aussie audience, when all of a sudden I took a step forward and WHOOSH the ground gave way beneath me. Before I knew it, I was falling on my back into some confusing unknown. Luckily the V shaped nature of the 30 foot deep cornice-crevasse decelerated me rather than abruptly stopped. Luckily in free fall I had enough time to realize what was happening and I landed on my back and quickly put my hands over my face. Inevitably, a ton of loose snow fell over me and I began to brush it away as quickly as possible to ensure an airway. After catching my breath and clearing the snow off me, I looked around to assess the situation.

Luckily, in Jimbo’s group one, only 1 out of 10 students, had seen my stumble into the underworld. She spoke up “I think Mitch just disappeared.” Jimbo replied “no he’s just searching for a break in the cornice to enter the bowl.” In her persistence Jimbo carried on up the ridge nearly falling into the same booby trap that claimed me. As I saw his head peak into the crack leading to daylight I explained I could get out with my shovel and some kicked in ski boot steps equal to a V1 bouldering problem. As I climbed out with all the students eyes on me, embarrassed and somehow unharmed, I laughed and said “which brings me to our next lesson...” the tension was eased and we all learned a lesson that day that the mountains are always going to throw you lessons.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 20-21

I was skiing with my buddy on his snow board and he bottoms out in a V section and takes his board off. I ask if he is ok and start eating a snack while waiting on the top of the ridge. In his frustration he throws his board to hike and it flys over the ridge onto the slope and sails like 100 feet into a large pine. I watch it and go down to grab it and as I pull it out of the base of the tree a 8” pine section comes with it. He is putting on his board and I put the branch into the back of his pack sticking out while he’s sitting. So we go to dinner with the wives that night and they ask how the day was. He proceeds to tell the story and then he gets to end and I notice he has the pine branch in the side of his beanie. I point at it and he just smiles as I say that tree saved your board. He got introduced to Utah pow and they all said “the snow is so different that mammoth, it’s so light”

The other one was funny when at the end of the day I see him taking his 6 year old down the black run under the lift. I ski down to them with his wife who wanted to ski some pow while he watched the kids. We get down and the kid is like, “this is so steep” His dad says it’s not any steeper than other runs we did. The kid is not happy and having a hard time. I took them back up the lift and show them the black Diamond sign. The kid stops crying and says “see dad I told you it was steep”. We get back to car and I asked how the day was. Dad says it was deep, mom says powder was nice and kid says proudly to his older brother“ I did my first black Diamond”!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Can confirm, whyturn took me down a black diamond and didn't tell me it was a black diamond. The next time we went to lap it I saw the trail sign and said "what the hell?!". I think he responded with something along the lines of "but did you die?"

Hey mags, I found a pair of CRJ's for sale in the south Jordan area. I live in CO now, would anyone be able to snag them for me and ship them to me? They have a pair of frame bindings on them (look like some diamirs) that you can keep as a payment of sorts (or I can send ya like 20 bucks). thanks!

Yeah boys, good ones.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

1st year at PCMR working as a lifty. SS Dir. shows up at the bottom of the ski team double with fucking Rin Tin Tin (beautiful German Shepard) actually named Heyduke.

Spurlock doesn't ask for a slow or give me any directions so I don't slow the chair. Chair comes whipping around the bullwheel and destroys Spurlock. The dog hops on the chair and is fine. By the time the chair has stopped the dog is about 30 feet up the line and seems happy as hell.

Spurlock proceeds to give me a real good talking to about avalanche dogs and loading them on chairs. WTF did I know, it was never covered in training.

Later that season the same dog cornered the group of volunteers working Jupiter in the patrol shack and would not let them out.

Good dog.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Same season I am working the top of Jupiter and a patroller comes to the top shack and asks me to slow chair XX and stop it before the ramp.

I follow his direction and see a patroller is on the chair. I stop it as asked and they proceed to pie the patroller on the chair in the face with a cream pie, it was his B-day.

About 8 years later when I moved to Big Sky I mentioned incident that in passing to another guy on the staff. He took the ball and ran with it and for about 20 years no one was safe on their Birthday.

Zina probably mentioned that in passing, pretty sure it was still a thing when J-Dog worked with us.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Did I ski with you at cannon??

Good story though and I agree! I was getting interlodged every other year. I’d text Telee asking wtf and he’s like “you motherfucker you timed it right again!”
    No shit! I could set my weather clock by your visits. I’m not sure anyone has ever nailed storms like you did there for a while. Sorry I missed you this trip. Some major shit going down at work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?