Page 67 of 170 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 4250
    I appreciate the courage it took to write that up and post it publicly. Takes some guts to relive it and put it out there for all the armchair QBs to judge. No shame or guilt coming from over here.

I can't begin to imagine the trauma of that whole experience. It sucks that you are gonna be sidelined for a bit, no 2 ways around that. But like MW said, you will be back at it in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Skied Alta today. Man, it got pounded over the weekend
    After 4 days at SB I’m going to ski Alta tomorrow for a change of scenery. Gotta do something with my Nor’easter induced extra day. If you have any advice on better areas to hit, much appreciated!

Kinda regret buying the Alta ticket. At 3:00 today the gates off Gad 2 out toward Exit Gully/Shot 44 skied great, untracked, deep.
    Last edited by JTG4; 02-01-2021 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Add more

Damn that’s just an unreal story. Glad both you and your partner are alright. The sensation of being so close to the edge is tough. I once thought I was going to drown in big surf in my youth, multiple wave hold down on a huge day. Was a real eye opener. Appreciate sharing your story. It’s always good for other people to hear how close someone else came and the associated emotions.
    Unlike big surf where the danger is right in your face with every wave. Skiing in avalanche terrain can go from sublime joy to terror in a second. It makes the decision making process so much more cerebral than visceral.
    I highly recommend the surgeons at the U orthopedic center. And Danny at canyon sports is an excellent PT post ACL reconstruction.
    Best of luck.
    Stay safe out there boys.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    are DV trees filled in enough now to not hit all the blowdown from september? I think I have a free day there with my pass. Never done anything but groomers.
    Not quite DV but I skied the Can for a few hours this morning before leaving town. Trees are still pretty scratchy/stumpy but skiable. Lots of shit poking out.

D-roc- thanks for taking the time to post that. Sorry about your injuries and plans but so glad it wasn't worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    I appreciate the courage it took to write that up and post it publicly. Takes some guts to relive it and put it out there for all the armchair QBs to judge. No shame or guilt coming from over here.

I can't begin to imagine the trauma of that whole experience. It sucks that you are gonna be sidelined for a bit, no 2 ways around that. But like MW said, you will be back at it in no time.
    Seconded. Thanks D-roc.

Fkna d-roc thanks for sharing that account and thankful you and your buddy lived to tell the tale and will shred again+++++

D-Roc I guarantee that the day your kid is born all of this will feel like a distant bad dream.

You got home. That’s what matters right now. Let yourself off the hook in the rest of it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Man D-Roc, thanks for sharing. You're always a fantastic source of stoke, and there's no doubt you'll be back at it stronger than ever. So glad you and your partner are okay. Sending good vibes your way.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post
    I write this with my leg in the air in ice. I am awaiting tomorrow’s MRI, its looking like an ACL tear, I tell myself im okay with that, but I know its going to be fucking hard. Ive been mourning the loss of this year, my Alaska plans, my Ecuador plans, but they are just plans. I have a pregnant wife at home and the thought of not being able to meet my son just absolutely crushes me that I could have missed the opportunity to be a Dad, be the Dad that I wanted.
    For those of you that know me, I am one determined motherfucker. I have a drive for adventure, experience, and exploration; this will not define me, but will let it teach me. This is not defeat, it is delay.
    -Zac
    Thanks for sharing. Not easy. Glad for a happy ending.
    Wouldn't be responding but for your pregnant wife.
    Gonna try and be the dad you always wanted here:
    Park your ego.
    Your life is no longer just about you.
    You kind of justify your actions on Saturday. And have said you are experienced.
    Then what the fuck were you doing in Main Gobblers on Saturday?
    And both involved? Your experience has given you an expert halo...
    If you have a family, you must return home at night.
    When I became a father I dialed it back.
    With pleasure.
    Passions and adventures are altered.
    I look forward to meeting you and your family and sharing time.
    Will pm you after your MRI, I know a thing or two about knees and local surgeons.
    Jimmy

p.s. mall walker you're a dad too now, eh?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 20-21

^ yep I’m a poppa now. unrelated I haven’t skied one day this calendar year, my only snow sliding was up main P a month ago. but my excuse is work lol. but I’ve made my bad calls, and been called out here, and am the better and safer traveler for it.

hoping a springtime alta family day is in the cards, and if so i’ll let ya know.

re: wp i wouldn’t have been up on that headwall. but I just meant, nobody’s right all the time, at least ya get to learn instead of being in the ground. briefly losing face among bc skiers won’t matter much once your kid smiles at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post

Fifthed or whatever were up to now. Tough read.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post
    Hey Guys,

So I have had time to assess and reflect on the Gobbler's avalanche accident. Here it goes:
    My partner and I left the Porter Fork trailhead around 830 AM the goal was to check out the Gobblers Knob lines etc. Between the two of us we had been up there several times in the previous weeks skiing the lookers right flank of Main. My partner had been skiing Davis Gulch, etc. a couple days before. In our discussion the night before we hemmed and hawed about where to go and avoid canyon traffic, etc. decided since we had been on the terrain prior, that was where we decided to go.

We broke trail the entire way up and to the ridgeline and stopped on the lookers right flank of main gobblers and thought this would be a great warm up for the day and we could get back to our skin track pretty quickly. It was a great line down and had a great time. We decided on another lap.

On the second lap there was a party ahead of us. We went up to where we originally had been and continued a little further, this was an effort to avoid some steeper roll overs and cornices. The goal was to ski down, and head left to align with our first set of tracks and end at the same point. We got to the top as per our plan and transitioned.
    (Also, there were no visible / auditory indicators from a red flag perspective – collapsing, cracking, etc.; not that we let our guard down, but just wanted to address that point).

Given the nature of the terrain and the groups of trees at our location, we discussed leap frogging so that once one of us was out of sight, the other would yelp once clear, etc. and we could keep an eye / track of each other. I went first skiing a low angle alley to just before a group of trees and stopped. Gave a yell.

My partner came down the opposite alley way of me and that was when everything broke. It was like watching glass shatter in all directions around me. I realized what had happened and quickly started polling towards the nearest trees. As I reached out to grab the tree, I got swept, I was so fucking close – inches.

I threw my poles, and then began tumbling. One ski ripped off and then the other. It was like washing out from being in the ocean or being in a washing machine. Everything went black, then white, then black, then white – every time I saw white I reached for it, swimming, fighting, screaming. I came to the top – somehow, then BAM, another section of hang-fire snow hit me (assuming) and shot me down further, but I sort of skidded – like sliding into a base.

Once I stopped, I knew I was fucked, my left knee was jacked and my right hand throbbing. I just let out a visceral scream. I started yelling for my partner – nothing. I picked up my left leg and moved it around – snap crackle pop, but realized I had function. My right hand I pulled on the fingers and relocated them.

I got up on my knees and looked around to see if there was any indication of him, a ski, pole, limb, sticking out – nothing.

I ripped open my jacket while screaming my partner’s name and flipped my beacon into search – nothing. I kept screaming his name. I looked up behind me and saw my ski sticking out of the debris and scrambled through the facets, dirt, etc. to the ski because I knew that was my only chance of being faster. I got the ski and sat on It and sledded down with my beacon in one hand and arresting with my legs / arm to go slower.

Then I heard him.

As I sledded down towards his voice I found him at the bottom of the debris pile there, shivering… We did a quick assessment and there were potential broken bones, but he was completely cognitive. We needed to take advantage of the adrenaline window and got moving downhill towards our skin track. (no cell phone service). I started breaking trail and making a trench as he followed.

Then we heard the helicopter. It turns out the other party who was heading towards Cabin Run / Davis Gulch had seen the slide and called it in since they were on the ridgeline. We attempted to flag the helicopter but did not have any luck.

The party who saw the avalanche had skied over to us eventually since we had made it to the drainage of Davis Gulch, we discussed with them that we just needed to get down, there wasn’t much we could do until we got emergency services. We asked them to help pack down the snow so we could get to the skin track faster. They did.
    We made further progress and came upon another skier coming up the skin track, he was great (Andy?) he helped us immensely, we each got onto a ski (one legged) and managed to side hill our way into the tree line and onto the path.

We made our way down and found SAR / EMS team coming up and they quickly got onto treating my partner, secured the litter and got him down trail (thanks to all of you). Nikki from UAC was in the vicinity and came over and I gave her the brief on the situation.

I continued after everyone skiing one legged down the trail with 2 other SAR folks (thanks to the two of you). Once we were at the trailhead (where the porter fork trail starts / road meet) I got onto the snowmobile with the litter and took the ride down. Once at the end EMS got my partner into ambulance.

Then I broke down. The emotion finally caught up. I answered the questions to the officers and whomever asked. A man forced a blue Gatorade into my hand and I cried again (thank you). I said to everyone I needed a minute and walked up to my truck and threw everything down, put my head on the door and sobbed. I grabbed the hidden key fob opened the truck and started taking off my gear. I was in incredible pain and had to sit down to take off my left boot and choked down advil with the remainder of my morning coffee. I walked back down, to check on my partner (the ambulance hadn’t left yet). The officials told me where he was going and I answered a couple more questions. I stopped and thanked everyone again, cried again, and walked back to my truck.

I drove out of Millcreek and called everyone to let them know.

I pulled over to get control of myself. Then I drove straight to the hospital and made contact with family there. Once I knew he was going to be ok. I went home.

That’s my story. Im sure there are some details I am missing, but sometimes it is a blur and in more time maybe some more clarity will come.

I write this with my leg in the air in ice. I am awaiting tomorrow’s MRI, its looking like an ACL tear, I tell myself im okay with that, but I know its going to be fucking hard. Ive been mourning the loss of this year, my Alaska plans, my Ecuador plans, but they are just plans. I have a pregnant wife at home and the thought of not being able to meet my son just absolutely crushes me that I could have missed the opportunity to be a Dad, be the Dad that I wanted.
    For those of you that know me, I am one determined motherfucker. I have a drive for adventure, experience, and exploration; this will not define me, but will let it teach me. This is not defeat, it is delay.
    I look forward to meeting many of you and hope that my story helps some other’s learn.

-Zac
    Fuck.....

Fuck that was heavy

Glad your still with us Zac. Hope to ski you around some day
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Thanks for the candid tale of luck and survival, D-Roc. I don't think I know you, but I've been you...
    WTF thoughts occur to some, but many of us have been there; rolling the dice is what we do, for one reason or the other, professionally and/or recreationally. Sooner or later many of us have been bitten in the ass and lived to tell the tale. Your vivid account will probably save someone. THANK YOU and good luck with your knee, it will get fixed. And happy parenting!

I know what you are going through. It's not easy. Vibes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by F#*k you cat; 02-02-2021 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Grammer

Heavy recount - glad you're around to tell it & i promise you the parenting bit will keep you occupied through your full recovery

@D-roc, I am humbly grateful for your recounting of that day. I know it has to be resonating and will be for a while.

I only have one thing to add. I was fatherless from the age of one. I never knew my dad. @telefreewasatch's post about parenting is spot-on, and Angel and Jimmy got to grow up with their dad.

One day, I look forward to sharing some turns.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Not easy. Glad for a happy ending.
    Wouldn't be responding but for your pregnant wife.
    Gonna try and be the dad you always wanted here:
    Park your ego.
    Your life is no longer just about you.
    You kind of justify your actions on Saturday. And have said you are experienced.
    Then what the fuck were you doing in Main Gobblers on Saturday?
    And both involved? Your experience has given you an expert halo...
    If you have a family, you must return home at night.
    When I became a father I dialed it back.
    With pleasure.
    Passions and adventures are altered.
    I look forward to meeting you and your family and sharing time.
    Will pm you after your MRI, I know a thing or two about knees and local surgeons.
    Jimmy

p.s. mall walker you're a dad too now, eh?
    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    the tfw and wow bringin the what id be thinkin and reflecting bout
    i ment to put this in here last Thursday for AB

i see similarities in your experience and gittin after it ness and this seasons snowpack
    if tfw doesnt recommend my wife fer pt
    hes not gonna continuie to be her favorite blue screened ski freak
    lemme know if ya want help trying to retrieve gear or at least tell us where and what to look fer
    i didnt give us great odds of probin up and findin john boys ski but ya know blessings occur

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks for sharing D-Roc.
    takes some courage to own your mistakes like that.
    don't beat yourself up too much over it. It's not worth it. we all make mistakes.
    Take the criticism and learn from it cause the ones giving it in this thread are worth listening to in my opinion
    In the end, just know that we're all stoked you're still with us and that's ultimately all that matters.

on the injury, I've got my fingers crossed for ya and hoping for the best. I thought I blew out my knee when I got rolled a few years back, but after the MRI, doc just said it looked like I tried my hardest to pull my MCL off the bone, but it held and I was skiing about a month later.

Stay positive.

To add. Did my acl in ‘10, skied on it torn until the end of the season(lightly), surgery in June and moved to Alta November of that year, skied one season with a brace and have had no issues since. You’re gonna be back and better than ever in no time

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

This incident reminds me of the Sheep Creek slide by Loveland Pass a few years ago: folks who thought they were in an "island of safety" were actually still in danger. D-Roc, looking back, how do you feel people can get a better grasp on evaluating safety zones while leap-frogging with a group?

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    You have to be kidding me. Fuck that

I'd imagine that patrol is sick of digging up dead people.

Quote Originally Posted by DryorDie View Post
    You have to be kidding me. Fuck that
    STFU and walk in from the BCC side, it's not that far.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    STFU and walk in from the BCC side, it's not that far.
    It is if you live on the Wasatch Back...