Page 88 of 170 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 4250
    Tried to keep it safe. Trees skied good.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    fingers crossed! argenta, west porter, north’s below the memorials...
    Argenta was the result of a long storm with high wind which deposited eight or so feet of snow. It was heli bombed on the second go around after they skipped it on the first because...well...it wouldn't hit the road. My records, going back to the mid eighties, were lost in a fire so I can't tell you the year(92?). Previous slide running that far was the 40s.
    West Porter didn't slide during the same cycle(I don't think) but it and north fork of Neffs may have been the same cycle. No idea of previous large slide but, the shrubbery in the run out was much more annoying than at present.
    Latest weather guess is suggesting 5" water weight max, clean out is doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    In July 1989 Deb and I walked into Mt. Robson Provincial Park with the intent of pioneering a ski descent of the N face of Mt. Robson. It had been an idea the year before when I was there alone, but the Berg Glacier dictates a rope and partner. I went to the Great Couloir on the SW exposure with no glaciers that year instead. The Great Couloir had not seen an ascent or descent 'til then. (Another story.) As we were walking in to Berg Lake and the shelters there, I realized that the 35mm. camera with monster telephoto needed a battery. And egoistic me figured my partner should document my awesomeness. My pack was large with alpine gear and all, and I wanted to save my energy for the N face. Deb ran all the way out, drove to town, got a battery, and ran back to discover that this was operator error and we didn't need a battery. Oops. Sorry honey...

After spending the night at Berg Lake we were walking along the shore to head up and met the two rangers on duty. Naturally they were curious about the one set of alpine gear and we chatted. Impressed they were that such a small team were going for this cherry. They'd seen several productions come to try with helicopters, arms lost in rotors, etc. You can take a boat across Berg Lake (recommended) if you have one, go way around via the Robson glacier, or bushwack along the E side of Berg Lake to reach the Berg glacier and up to the Helmet col. Bushwack it was with skis and poles in hand but still limiting progress. When we got out of the woods we made better time initially, but when we got on the glacier it started raining with increasing PI. The snow got wetter and deeper. When it got over knee deep, it was growing dark, and I was tiring, Deb took over the lead to save the prima donna's energy. Little did we know that the rangers had set up a spotting scope in the hut where everyone stored their food and cooked on account of bears. By now it was thundering and lightning and our metal was sparking. The hut erupted with folks crying "Shits hitting the fan and the woman is taking the lead!" apparently. When we were immediately under the N face and it was completely dark, we could see the face producing wet sluffs, very fast wet sluffs in flashes of lightning. I encouraged the leader that they couldn't jump the bergschrunds but crossed my fingers.

We spent that night drying my boot liners and gloves over the stove, hoping for a freeze. Hope was misspent and morning dawned quite warm, overcast, and 95% of the N face back down to blue ice. One narrow unfrozen strip of snow left. Down we went in deep wet snow and flat light. Crevasse bridges were soggy and in the bad light I fell through one. Lunging to the far side I drove my axe shaft two handed into the shitty snow. It held, though hands were 2' below the surface in the saturated pack. I tried to bridge back but made no contact. One look down into darkness energized a supreme effort to pull up and roll sideways into the saturated snow. Skis were on the pack which did not help. It worked. Looking back at Deb, she was braced and ready as one could be in that saturated snow. That's my gal. We crossed the Robson river in spate, and the rangers came over to invite us to a night in their hut. Great night making new friends and hearing outrageous bear stories.

One year later to the day, Angel was born and I hung up my spax (ski pole/ice axe) as told previously. That face has only been descended via skis on two occasions now, two on the first descent and a solo second. It is an incredibly beautiful face, and an uncontrolled fall would not necessitate death. (Some B netting above the bergschrunds would make it a black diamond?) Maybe someone reading this will post up a TR in the future of the 3rd descent?
    Fuckyea. What a tale and what a lady you have! Such a beautiful face Robson is. If I'm not mistaken a semi-lurker extremo friend from Seattle attempted it in September in the mid 2000's. Convinced the best time to get after it there is early rather than later in the season. I'm guessing ice got in the way of that descent

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    Argenta was the result of a long storm with high wind which deposited eight or so feet of snow. It was heli bombed on the second go around after they skipped it on the first because...well...it wouldn't hit the road. My records, going back to the mid eighties, were lost in a fire so I can't tell you the year(92?). Previous slide running that far was the 40s.
    West Porter didn't slide during the same cycle(I don't think) but it and north fork of Neffs may have been the same cycle. No idea of previous large slide but, the shrubbery in the run out was much more annoying than at present.
    WRA, My first run in with avalanches in Utah was the Pharos Glen slide in Millcreek when I was a kid. Do you have any data on that one?

The tree cleaning Argenta slide was my first season here, 95-96.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    WRA, My first run in with avalanches in Utah was the Pharos Glen slide in Millcreek when I was a kid. Do you have any data on that one?
    Done Church Fork to Grandeur to Mt Aire several times but no on Pharaohs Glen,

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    The tree cleaning Argenta slide was my first season here, 95-96.
    Thanks, that makes West Porter etc more likely during the same winter.

It's on the UAC's website, scanned pages from an old Snowy Torrents. I read it a few days ago. See here
    Crazy rescue story!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

In the mid 60's three kids hiked up Grandeur from town, and were butt sliding in upper Pharaoh's Glen which falls N into Parley's just E of Grandeur. Steep NE upper slope. One got caught and buried, the other two searched, and eventually one went back down W facing Grandeur for help. When S+R arrived via helicopter!, they saw a set of tracks down Pharaoh's Glen below the slide and assumed it was the kid who sounded the alarm. When some of them descended that way they found the body of kid #3 who had died of exposure maybe while they were searching for #1; 2 outta 3 died.

I see Boissal found the story, we'll see how my memory of the story is compared to the facts...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Eye popping to hear what's needed to take out the garbage around here.

Probably a repeat, but some good tales in this: https://utahadvjournal.com/index.php...valanche-gurus

That Argenta slide was eye popping. I was skiing Solitude that season, I distinctly remember the first day I drove up after that slide. Walls of snow and more busted pines than I’d ever seen. The trees and snow backed up the creek, and it was mind blowing to look at that denuded slope that was once all pines. They were cutting up all the trees for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Rumor is that it's been done many more times than just 3, by humble locals.
    Figured to drone about this sometime, guess it's tonight.
    About humbleness.
    Never recorded a 1st descent, or anything involving the kids.
    Never left beta.
    Never signed a summit register. (though they do make good reading.)
    Always taken pride on the humbleness part.
    Asking myself why I'm telling these stories now...
    Figure it's to teach lessons, hopefully with humor.

True adventure limits beta.
    Map and compass, no pocket computer.
    Use technology only to find a way into a range mostly surrounded by private land.
    If one doesn't have beta then one is pioneering, a cool concept.
    It's also a way of NOT claiming a "1st" when no-one can be 100% sure that a "humble local" hasn't been there already.

However simple and humble we can keep our lives and goals, centered in nature, the more joy we will experience. Jimmy.
    "And joy is, after all, the end of life." G.L.Mallory.

ps: Have fun this storm, eh?

Edit: Kinda forgot to include my point.
    In these days of Instaspray, keeping it simple and humble appears difficult.
    Seems like this can lead to poor behavior...
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 02-12-2021 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Forgetting to install relative context
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

In the mid 60's three kids hiked up Grandeur from town, and were butt sliding in upper Pharaoh's Glen which falls N into Parley's just E of Grandeur. Steep NE upper slope. One got caught and buried, the other two searched, and eventually one went back down W facing Grandeur for help. When S+R arrived via helicopter!, they saw a set of tracks down Pharaoh's Glen below the slide and assumed it was the kid who sounded the alarm. When some of them descended that way they found the body of kid #3 who had died of exposure maybe while they were searching for #1; 2 outta 3 died.

I see Boissal found the story, we'll see how my memory of the story is compared to the facts...
    Your memory is spot on. 3 boys scouts, one fully buried. One of the kids bushwacked down to the road to ask for help, the other stayed behind to look for his brother. He got hypothermic and wandered down the hill a ways. There was a huge amount of confusion with the rescuers, they weren't sure how many people were involved with the slide and couldn't agree on how to proceed. Some followed tracks down the slide and off into the brush and eventually realized they were on the trail of the kid who had made it to the road and called for help. They backtracked and spotted other tracks but were too late, they found the brother dead from hyporthermia. Tragic story.

Always taken pride on the humbleness part.
    Asking myself why I'm telling these stories now...
    In case you're worried, your posts don't have a shred of arrogance to them, you'd get 4 followers on the 'gram with that level of self-promotion.
    You can tell stories of great firsts without ever losing the humbleness. It's what makes them great stories. Arrogance ruins those.
    I and several others have asked for more stories, you should keep going!

If one doesn't have beta then one is pioneering, a cool concept.
    It's also a way of NOT claiming a "1st" when no-one can be 100% sure that a "humble local" hasn't been there already.
    Very true, especially for our small range. I skied a few lines in the past couple seasons that I had 0 information about. I guarantee they've been done, they're too obvious to have been ignored, but I didn't know anyone who had done them. I did my homework before skiing them but didn't really know what to expect. I didn't find any signs of passage, got spooked, got worked, made great turns, made it home. Those days felt way different and better than when skiing stuff I had detailed info about, even if the lines we not particularly badass .
    One of the spots got sprayed hard on the 'gram by some important bros the following season, made me sad. Next year someone's going to make a strava segment out of it. Five years from now it will be another tick mark in someone's copy of the Chuting Gallery v2.0. But they'll have enjoyed it less than I did.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

The information superhighway and cell phones are super awesome, but I feel sad for the kids today that can't go have a real adventure....
    and have to get out of it on their own accord.

I bought a Garmin inReach so I could have a '911' option if shit goes sideways, but leave my phone in the car when I want to get away.
    Last edited by sfotex; 02-12-2021 at 12:08 AM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

I love that!

However simple and humble we can keep our lives and goals, centered in nature, the more joy we will experience. Jimmy.
    Amen.

Everytime I run into Ev and Rick they are more interested in talking about boring me then them. I've talked to Evelyn 100x times, and she's never ever talked about her skiing exploits:

"Rick Wyatt, in addition to skiing on Nanga Parbat, Everest, etc., attempted the Wickersham in 1983. Along with renowned photographer, Chris Noble, and his wife, Evelyn Lees, now a [retired] senior forecaster at the Utah Avalanche Center, he summited and began skiing.

Unfortunately Evelyn, who was walking down using ski poles rather than an axe on the flat, windy summit plateau, slipped on blue ice as she changed aspect, and slid 1,100 feet, breaking her hip. The parties mission turned to rescue. They descended to the upper Peters Glacier and climbed 2,000′ up, with Rick lifting her broken leg up each step, to join the West Buttress route at 16,200′."
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    That Argenta slide was eye popping. I was skiing Solitude that season, I distinctly remember the first day I drove up after that slide. Walls of snow and more busted pines than I’d ever seen. The trees and snow backed up the creek, and it was mind blowing to look at that denuded slope that was once all pines. They were cutting up all the trees for weeks.
    my first ya aint in kansas no mur toto year too

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Extremely heavy snow alert for wasatch back. I bet that it is the highest water content snow of the season, and we have had some heavy snow this season. Where have you gone Utah fluff???
    How is the snow in LCC and Big?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    heavy

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    heavy
    I can't imagine thinking you already have 3 buried victims and then the first person you uncover is a stranger. Holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I can't imagine thinking you already have 3 buried victims and then the first person you uncover is a stranger. Holy shit.
    thought the same thing. ugh.

That report is hard to read

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I feel so sad after reading that report.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Can ya'll just deal with crowds at the resort for the next few days and see how this new weight settles before heading into the backcountry? I know the traffic sucks, I know the reservation system makes things hard, but i'd rather get bored/angry phone calls from friends and family waiting in 40 minute lift lines or canyon traffic than have them get injured or worse trying to tip-toe around this snowpack.

Sincerely
    A former utard who wants to ski with his SLC friends post covid.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Man, like Phall said, I knew right away that this one was gonna hit different, but after reading that report, I'm a bit of a mess.

I haven't had something like this hit me this hard in quite a while. The worst part of all is that I could see how they got in this situation and how I could make those same decisions.