Page 48 of 170 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 4250
    ^^^Hells canyon at Snowbasin nearly fits your description, and has 3 deaths from what I remember.

I wonder if it’s a higher fatality location than others. How many in porter fork, Wolverine, etc. one inbounds at snowbird. It can happen anywhere for sure. Look at Jackson hole and it’s high as well. At a know before you go they said snowmobile was higher in general

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    ^^^Hells canyon at Snowbasin nearly fits your description, and has 3 deaths from what I remember.

Yup

Name:  hells.JPG
Views: 1331
Size:  142.6 KB

Was thinking today how this fatality shone a good light on the tribe.
    Lotta folks saying thoughtful and caring stuff.
    Wanting to fix something broken.
    Some that usually don't post in the mix as well.
    Makes me proud of our tribe.
    Nice that sliding on snow can have such a positive effect on bears, otters, and people, eh?
    My brothers...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

What a waste of life. The duality of emotions the marriage of snow and gravity deliver is remarkable. Highs that seem to never have a limit and pure darkness that can snatch it all away in an instant.

There are greater losses of life, true; there are greater tragedies, true. I am all about personally accountability, but do we we just load the gun for some of these people and slap a Charles Darwin bumper sticker on their casket?

Do I want the gates closed? No. Although, I don't think open access is necessarily equal to getting a nice lift ride up and heading out a portal with the only requirement being that you have a pulse. Using the lift to ascend and exiting is a privilege, one that can be great for the trained, but as said above, it's these areas that are easily seen and accessible, and funnel back without the requirement for uphill equipment that are the death magnets. I'd like to see a transceiver activated gate like Delirium in Sunshine. Do something more, even if saves only 3 more lives.

I was in a place with high grizzly bear density and some deaths had occurred there. As you entered the area it detailed the loss of life and briefly the circumstances. It made us very aware of our surroundings. I think something like that would help.

As someone who moved out here 10 years ago from a region of lower snow, I when I came had no context of what "avalanche" looked like outside of the scenes in Bond movies of huge powder clouds thundering down thousands of feet, etc. Another option to post there would be big images of the fatal slides. This would let the untrained have a visual of what a fatal avalanche can look like. They could see the previous tracks. It would also show people that certain areas there (conehead/dutch draw) seem to be the main culprit vs Easy Street? (I don't ski there so not sure what just north of the cliff band is called.) The idea of slope angle is something only those who have cared to take an interest/educate themselves re: avalanches understands. A picture would let people make, perhaps, a bit more informed decision on where to take their risk.
    Posting images wouldn't need permission from victims, etc.

I never promote my kids, but Angel just produced something pretty cool.
    About their childhood, lessons learned, and effect on their lives.
    Thought I'd share.
    If you fast forward past the intro and raffle, its about an hour.
    Enjoy...
    https://www.wildboundlive.com/events...el%20collinson

Thanks for the right url Dibs.
    Look forward to turns with ya.
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 01-12-2021 at 10:17 AM. Reason: computer unsavvy

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Thought I'd share.
    Enjoy...

wildboundlive.com/events/alpenglowangel
    fuckin a
    angles dad
    i fixie for u
    fjong
    i may come ski ya thurs or fri
    actually its
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thought I'd share.
    Enjoy...

Thanks for the right url Dibs.
    Look forward to turns with ya.
    I kinda wish you were my dad after watching that.....super cool man....i say your kids probably had the best life. Good on you man...

Anyone care to PM some beta about skiing up near logan? looking for low angle, no sled approach stuff to do this weekend to change it up. No need to PM your secrets, but if there's something worthwhile that's not garden city bowls I'd be interested.

https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/57388

I can't even begin to imagine what the victim's girlfriend is going through knowing she's the one that triggered the slide. I sincerely hope she seeks out the professional help that she is sure to need and has the FULL support of her family, friends and community to process all that happened and get past it.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

^ oof. I feel for her, that’s a nightmare scenario.

I Thought I'd share.
    From this point forward, you should be VERY leery of anyone that wants to share a slice of cheese with you! Bwahahahahaaaaa
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Anyone know who's running the snow cat ski operation out of a yurt on Montreal hill in Cardiff fork?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	georges.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	357611

This again? I’m pretty sure it’s private, not an operation, but questionable legality

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Question was who's running it? Look at the pic. It is an operation.

Not sure, dibs had some connection in last years thread to them. From wasatch backcountry alliance FB March 2020: Have you been in Cardiff Fork this winter and noticed a snowcat up there? It's been a hot topic amongst many user groups, be it skiers, splitboarders, hikers, or snowshoers. Big Cottonwood residents have been calling it divisive, not to mention it's loud and now the road smells like diesel. One thing is for certain: the cat operation - which has been carting skiers up without a permit - is illegal.

The reason it's illegal is that it's deviating off the mine road - which is used by mining claim property owners and hikers/skiers to access the drainage. While it is legal for the snowcat to go up the road, the snowcat has cut a massively banked road all the way to the top of George's Bowl - inordinately breaking the permit regulations of staying on the road. It has also deviated from private land and has crossed National Forest land, not to mention the dangers of creating cut blocks and associated hazards on what was a popular and safe touring area for backcountry skiers.

The Forest Service has notified WBA of their intention to stop the snowcat from violating its permit, but we want them to hear from you too. Have you seen the snowcat? If so, what has your experience and/or interaction been? Let WBA and the Forest Service know via email (info@wasatchbackcountryalliance.org and rebecca.hotze@usda.gov) so we can help fight this illegal operation.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Thanks, contact WBA to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I kinda wish you were my dad after watching that
    What, is mom telling you otherwise?

What, is mom telling you otherwise?
    Good one.

You got 2 great, smart kids. Despite your thoughts of it not being a great life growing up you done damned good. Be very proud.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    This again? I’m pretty sure it’s private, not an operation, but questionable legality

I know who it is.
    It's a private snowcat.

^ill get the tar bucket warmed up...

whos got the feathers? im fresh out...
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Not sure, dibs had some connection in last years thread to them. From wasatch backcountry alliance FB March 2020: Have you been in Cardiff Fork this winter and noticed a snowcat up there? It's been a hot topic amongst many user groups, be it skiers, splitboarders, hikers, or snowshoers. Big Cottonwood residents have been calling it divisive, not to mention it's loud and now the road smells like diesel. One thing is for certain: the cat operation - which has been carting skiers up without a permit - is illegal.

The reason it's illegal is that it's deviating off the mine road - which is used by mining claim property owners and hikers/skiers to access the drainage. While it is legal for the snowcat to go up the road, the snowcat has cut a massively banked road all the way to the top of George's Bowl - inordinately breaking the permit regulations of staying on the road. It has also deviated from private land and has crossed National Forest land, not to mention the dangers of creating cut blocks and associated hazards on what was a popular and safe touring area for backcountry skiers.

The Forest Service has notified WBA of their intention to stop the snowcat from violating its permit, but we want them to hear from you too. Have you seen the snowcat? If so, what has your experience and/or interaction been? Let WBA and the Forest Service know via email (info@wasatchbackcountryalliance.org and rebecca.hotze@usda.gov) so we can help fight this illegal operation.

Soon as you hit USFS land you have to have the SRUP.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I know who it is.
    It's a private snowcat.
    does he have one arm? ran into a guy up there earlier this year claiming to own the joint.