Page 132 of 170 FirstFirst ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 4250
    Quote Originally Posted by raueda1 View Post
    Sympathies to everybody. Jesus, this stuff is very difficult, even just seeing the immediate aftermath. I know, I watched my wife take a 40 foot climbing ground 4 feet in front of me. You can never un-see it. Some degree of PTSD should be expected and you never entirely get over it. Absolutely see somebody if you or the 11 Yr old have any issues at all.
    It doesn’t go away. I didn’t see anyone until I was in my late 30s and could have used it as a kid.
    I was walking home from junior high in a group of 6 when 4 took the first entrance into my subdivision and I continued straight with David. Someone in the other group called me back to them and after taking 10 steps to them I heard a skid and crash.
    Turning back I saw a shoe in the road and then made it to my friend who had been hit by a drunk driver and killed.
    The what if’s had I continued straight with him don’t come into my head as much as it used to, seeing him right after it happened will never leave me. This happened in 1985

Quote Originally Posted by raueda1 View Post
    The whole tone of it is very weird.
    Have you read their press release about the parking situation? https://www.alta.com/the-alta-parking-issue

Similarly weird tone. I felt like they were sortakinda threatening local businesses and residents--- that if they don't get behind ASL then ASL will take their toys and go home, so to speak.

Does ASL pay the forest service, or anyone else for the right to use/manage the lots? If so, parking should be first and foremost for its patrons. With increased congestion, I am always in favor of a pay for parking option
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Just did the survey.

Greeley bowl lift? Lol, no.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Does ASL pay the forest service, or anyone else for the right to use/manage the lots? If so, parking should be first and foremost for its patrons. With increased congestion, I am always in favor of a pay for parking option
    ^^^ as per above link, yes
    Alta Ski Lifts (ASL) has developed and maintains parking lots within its special use permit with the US Forest Service

So.... let's say ASL starts charging for parking for the local business employees who park on the north side of the Wildcat Lot. What's to stop a big stupid tit-for-tat where one business starts posting and prosecuting people who ski next to one of the rope tows, or another business starts towing people who are parked on their tiny section of one of the parking lots? A third business says, we're not sheltering your customers who dont do any business with us during interlodge? etc.

It's the tone that rubs me raw more than the ideas and solutions they present. Not sure if anyone wins if they go with the nuclear option.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Just did the survey.

Greeley bowl lift? Lol, no.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure the question was ‘where would you like the beater trap to be set?’
    bumps are for poor people

What ever happened to the idea of the Flora surface Lift (or was it Fauna lift?) going to the patrol shack near Collins? I thought that was on the table, but maybe that came with the Baldy lift too.

Also not a fan of the tone of the survey. Curious what, if anything, comes from it.

I got the survey but honestly don't feel like I know Alta/Snowbird well enough to knowledgeably answer a bunch of these questions. I think it's cool it's so detailed though-especially in terms of asking about specific logistical things like traffic improvements.

Prolly shouldve all just answered the survey with Mike Maughan SUCKS BALLS...bring back Ono.

So I think some people here are confused by the difference between what is on Alta's master plan (look it up) and this survey. Two different things. As a passholder for many years, I have received an end of year survey every year. This one is a bit more detailed, probably in response to all the complaints they have received about Ikon and lift lines. I have no problem with the 'tone' of the survey, whatever that means. An independent ski area is asking asking you for your input. Works for me. I responded the same as I always do. Keep alta the way it is, with improvements that make sense for the passholders and I would be willing to pay more. Pass prices haven't increased in 15? years (something like that).

good times this weekend. The east ridge of timp was ripe for harvest on Saturday. Like tbatt mentioned, the snow is really low down south. We had to walk to 8000 feet to reach skinnable snow, which made for a brutal bushwack down to the trail at the end of the day.

crappy photos of the line from sundance...... does it go?
    Name:  PXL_20210410_123649450.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  197.7 KB

always a beaut of a day on this mountain. Ultimately, we decided to give 'er a go and hope for the best.
    Name:  PXL_20210410_170611628.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  157.9 KB

Looks a little more bare than the last time i was up there, hope it goes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200408224507_IMG_0693.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	371292

a little thin but just a quick side step

Name:	20200408225524_IMG_0696.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	371293

exiting the ridge down into big provo cirque

Name:	20200408230214_IMG_0700.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	371296

looking up at the ridge
    Name:  PXL_20210410_180708793.MP.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  111.6 KB

Here we take a downclimb away from the "trail" we thought we could find and enter a 20 minute fifth class bushwack.
    Name:  PXL_20210410_184438372.MP.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  250.2 KB

If you are planning to ski something on timp this year, I'd get it soon as the snow is going quick

For reference, here is a photo of Orash11 on the same line on the same day in 2017
    Name:  IMG_20170411_095246.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  147.0 KB
    Last edited by brutah; 04-12-2021 at 05:15 PM. Reason: wrong year listed, 2017 not 2011

How much does Ikon pay Alta/Snowbird every time someone uses their pass? I can't believe it's anywhere near what Alta gets from a day pass. Wouldn't they make more selling day passes instead of Ikon, have fewer people on the mountain, less crowded parking lots, and less traffic?

Just speculating, but I would not be surprised if IKON paid participant areas (Alta, Aspen, Crystal, etc) a flat fee, rather than a price per use. It might make sense for Alta to accept say $100k check/season from IKON in September, rather than $15 for each person and each day used after it occurs.

Nice pics . Hoping for mid-week pow day.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Heh, downclimbing and hateful bushwacking low down on Timp. BT; DT

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Just speculating, but I would not be surprised if IKON paid participant areas (Alta, Aspen, Crystal, etc) a flat fee, rather than a price per use. It might make sense for Alta to accept say $100k check/season from IKON in September, rather than $15 for each person and each day used after it occurs.

Nice pics . Hoping for mid-week pow day.
    Pretty sure they get paid per day, but it may be more complicated than that (e.g. upfront share based on forecasted days with true up later on). And Crystal is owned by Alterra. Would love to hear from someone on the inside though. At least for the epic pass:
    According to Bill Jensen, the chief executive officer of Telluride Ski & Golf Resort, which is going into its first season as an Epic partner, introducing it could bring in $5 million of new revenue to the community. “That’s the Year 1 economic value both to Telluride Ski Resort and our broader retail, restaurant, and lodging community,” he says. So becoming Epic was an easy decision. “I don’t pay anything to Vail Resorts for being an alliance partner,” he says. “And I get paid for every scan of every Epic pass by Vail Resorts.”

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    good times this weekend. The east ridge of timp was ripe for harvest on Saturday. Like tbatt mentioned, the snow is really low down south. We had to walk to 8000 feet to reach skinnable snow, which made for a brutal bushwack down to the trail at the end of the day.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    How much does Ikon pay Alta/Snowbird every time someone uses their pass? I can't believe it's anywhere near what Alta gets from a day pass. Wouldn't they make more selling day passes instead of Ikon, have fewer people on the mountain, less crowded parking lots, and less traffic?
    FWIW, I heard thru the grapevine that Alta averages ~$62k in revenue and ~1200 scans from Ikon per day. No idea if the revenue is determined per scan or not. Also no idea if my source is at all accurate haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    FWIW, I heard thru the grapevine that Alta averages ~$62k in revenue and ~1200 scans from Ikon per day. No idea if the revenue is determined per scan or not. Also no idea if my source is at all accurate haha.
    Based on the poached data from Snowbird for the month of February they averaged 1019 IKON skiers per day. On only nine of the 28 days were there more than 1200. Season pass days exceeded IKON for the month by 20% and day tickets was close to IKON. Correct me if this is wrong but my understanding is SB has substantially more skiers than Alta.

It is shocking that after three years of the IKON pass there does not seem to be a consensus as to how a resort gets paid.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Based on the poached data from Snowbird for the month of February they averaged 1019 IKON skiers per day. On only nine of the 28 days were there more than 1200. Season pass days exceeded IKON for the month by 20% and day tickets was close to IKON. Correct me if this is wrong but my understanding is SB has substantially more skiers than Alta.

It is shocking that after three years of the IKON pass there does not seem to be a consensus as to how a resort gets paid.
    I’m pretty sure it’s a fixed fee plus amt ($40-70) per skier day. Each resort negotiates their own deals so they are all different. But as said before they get paid out based on projection and a true up is done periodically based on skier visits.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I believe the fixed fee was somewhere in the $40-50 range two years ago. I have to imagine Alta has negotiated a better rate at this point.

EDIT: Also I read something on instagram today about ASL merging Nina's And Schuss Gully? What kind of bullshit is that?
    Last edited by ASmileyFace; 04-12-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I believe the fixed fee was somewhere in the $40-50 range two years ago. I have to imagine Alta has negotiated a better rate at this point.

EDIT: Also I read something on instagram today about ASL merging Nina's And Schuss Gully? What kind of bullshit is that?
    BTW, Its Nina's V. No opinion either way but if they think doing so would take some pressure off Corkscrew i am ok with it.

If they plan on cutting trees to do it I am 100% against the move

ASL these last few weeks seems to be like "what stupid ideas can we propose to appease intermediate skiers and neuter our ski area"?

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    If they plan on cutting trees to do it I am 100% against the move

ASL these last few weeks seems to be like "what stupid ideas can we propose to appease intermediate skiers and neuter our ski area"?
    Don't worry, they'll plant new trees to offset it and make a big social media campaign about it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Don't worry, they'll plant new trees to offset it and make a big social media campaign about it.

so true

Alta tomorrow???