Page 12 of 170 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    New Alta opening date: Monday Nov 23
    not surprised. couldn't believe they wanted to test new parking capacity, protocols, procedures etc on a saturday.

Also, looks like albion basin reopened for touring

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    not surprised. couldn't believe they wanted to test new parking capacity, protocols, procedures etc on a saturday.

Also, looks like albion basin reopened for touring
    It's true.
    All you say.
    One may ski Twin Lake Pass thru Eagle's Nest as backcountry.
    Backside, Greeley, etc.
    Don't flip over into Collin's Gulch.

Thousands of folks up Grizzly / Catherine's this weekend.
    Hoping to spread y'all out...lotsa sharks, not much avy hazard.
    Love the Alta's intent of dishin it up.
    Have a great week up here...
    Jimmy
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Opening day should always be Mon-Thurs.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    It's true.
    Thousands of folks up Grizzly / Catherine's this weekend.
    Hoping to spread y'all out...lotsa sharks, not much avy hazard.
    Jimmy
    It may be my first full season here, but that was also my first conga line skin track going up grizzly on sunday....

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post
    It may be my first full season here, but that was also my first conga line skin track going up grizzly on sunday....
    bumping this thread because i need some midweek stoke. sunday was nuts. leaving catherine's i would estimate that we saw probably 300-500 people.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201115_141404953.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	348335

Name:	PXL_20201115_155126164.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	902.9 KB 
ID:	348336

got to take out the new skis that SFB helped me mount - i'm fucking stoked.

some rocks but nothing major, great skiing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    bumping this thread because i need some midweek stoke. sunday was nuts. leaving catherine's i would estimate that we saw probably 300-500 people.

Name:	PXL_20201115_141404953.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	348335

Name:	PXL_20201115_155126164.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	902.9 KB 
ID:	348336

got to take out the new skis that SFB helped me mount - i'm fucking stoked.

some rocks but nothing major, great skiing conditions.
    is that second pic the chutes below backside? kinda looks familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    is that second pic the chutes below backside? kinda looks familiar...
    you mean like between rocky point and sunset? yep.

we got up reasonably early and got first tracks down all of them. by the time we left it was positively gangbanged.

got out for day one today. It's a mixed bag out there, but still fun to stretch the old legs and no rocks hit.

Name:  PXL_20201117_145432674.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  116.4 KB

Didn't see many people out this morning, which was nice considering the reports from the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Didn't see many people out this morning, which was nice considering the reports from the weekend.
    I don't think many people got the memo that Albion is open for uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    got out for day one today. It's a mixed bag out there, but still fun to stretch the old legs and no rocks hit.

Name:  PXL_20201117_145432674.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  116.4 KB

snow looks like colorado

So it looks like this season UDOT is making a more serious attempt at managing canyon traffic. For starters they've announced what look like more stringent inspections of cars & tires. Secondly, they'll be closing up-canyon traffic when the parking is full. I guess the ski areas will tell them.
    https://www.udot.utah.gov/connect/20...nwood-canyons/
    https://www.alta.com/parking-and-roa...paign=13171006

None of this really clarifies how they'll manage trailhead parking or parking in Alta town lots, i.e., the town lots clustered around the road, by town hall etc. Anybody know? Looks like it will all be business as usual for the visionaries that got a Snowbird preferred parking pass.

Its gonna be such a mess. You have the mixing of the folks with snowbird rez with Alta FCFS. What happens when the Alta lots are full, but you have a bunch of people with a reservation mixed in that are trying to get up? Are cops checking people one by one turning the non-reserved around?

So many folks freaking out about backcountry parking, blocking access to trailhead parking and closures, but in all the articles I read it says that they will work with unified, local PD (Alta) etc to monitor those trailhead parking as well as roadside parking and make a decision based on the entirety of the canyon not just the resort lots. Lots of panic, and this season, i think everyone just needs to see how things are going to shake out. No one is intentionally trying to block your access to public lands(said as a staunch public lands advocate and supporter). I've seen lots of people upset on social on this, but, nothing's normal this year and we'll all have to adapt. If you're heading up canyon at a time when the road is closed, you dropped the ball, you can't blame UDOT for trying to keep things safe........(These comments have not been analyzed by the FDA and may have unintended consequences).
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

And is anyone skiing PC this weekend? Not a huge fan, but ended up with a pass there bc of credit from last seasons epic pass. Figure I'd get a couple days in before alta opens monday.

No idea how much terrain they're gonna open though...

I'll be there Friday. Probably top of Bonanza down to payday at PCMR, and 2 or 3 off of Saddleback at The Can. Nothing to write home about
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    So many folks freaking out about backcountry parking, blocking access to trailhead parking and closures, but in all the articles I read it says that they will work with unified, local PD (Alta) etc to monitor those trailhead parking as well as roadside parking and make a decision based on the entirety of the canyon not just the resort lots. Lots of panic, and this season, i think everyone just needs to see how things are going to shake out. No one is intentionally trying to block your access to public lands(said as a staunch public lands advocate and supporter). I've seen lots of people upset on social on this, but, nothing's normal this year and we'll all have to adapt. If you're heading up canyon at a time when the road is closed, you dropped the ball, you can't blame UDOT for trying to keep things safe........(These comments have not been analyzed by the FDA and may have unintended consequences).
    ^^^
    Well said.
    And to add: flexiblility is the key to indecision.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post
    No idea how much terrain they're gonna open though...
    Between last Saturday's wind and the warm temps, let's hope for snow before Monday...

Pro tip: Don’t carpool. Less people on the slopes and especially in the lift line.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Pro tip: Don’t carpool. Less people on the slopes and especially in the lift line.
    I stopped carpooling on March unfortunately. No way to stay safe in a car. I did ski a few shuttles in March/April but we tried to mitigate the risk by having the passenger ride in the truck bed.

Also, I doubt your snowbird parking reservation is gonna get ya up the canyon once closed. No way a cop at the mouth will look up your reservation. Like phall said before, if you don't get up before it closes that's on you.

On the lighter side, what exactly is an "FOG" Jimmy? Friend of Grom? Fucking Old Geezer? ......
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    On the lighter side, what exactly is an "FOG" Jimmy? Friend of Grom? Fucking Old Geezer? ......
    as far as I've heard:

Fucking Old Guy | Friendly Old Guy | Fat Old George

NBD, but I just kinda got screwed from the vail res. system. This morning, I made a reservation for my wife and me at PC on the 20th. Later, my wife told me that she was out, so I tried to cancel her res. We are on the same account (mine), so when I cancelled hers, MINE WAS AUTOMATICALLY CANCELLED. When I tried to re-reserve the day for me, I was advised that the day is sold out.
    Like I said, NBD, as I don't really want to ski the COVID ribbon on a busy day.
    Just a heads-up when reserving for more than yourself on the same account.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    NBD, but I just kinda got screwed from the vail res. system. This morning, I made a reservation for my wife and me at PC on the 20th. Later, my wife told me that she was out, so I tried to cancel her res. We are on the same account (mine), so when I cancelled hers, MINE WAS AUTOMATICALLY CANCELLED. When I tried to re-reserve the day for me, I was advised that the day is sold out.
    Like I said, NBD, as I don't really want to ski the COVID ribbon on a busy day.
    Just a heads-up when reserving for more than yourself on the same account.
    Damn, that is good to know, as its a situation I'll totally run into.

8 years ago to the day I was reminded we were skiing high stoner at Alta. Was a deep early season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    Xover shows back up to ask that question? Damn son, how long you been skiing the Wasatch?