Page 106 of 170 FirstFirst ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 4250
    ^^^^Yep. Been yelled at and I wasn't even dropping into the chutes, just hanging out on the small sub peak above Xfiles.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

How about a person has a DV pass (or Ikon) enters Daly by way of skinning up Guardsman. Is there still a problem? It’s the same as entering Bright-on from Catherine’s or The Can. from say Sound of Music if you have those passes
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    How about a person has a DV pass (or Ikon) enters Daly by way of skinning up Guardsman. Is there still a problem? It’s the same as entering Bright-on from Catherine’s or The Can. from say Sound of Music if you have those passes
    probably yes, because the area may be closed due to control work, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    Noob question - but where do people stay during these multiple day LCC interlodges? If travelers/skiers get stuck during the closure, are the lodges required to open rooms to them? Do they have to pay?
    Luckily in this case plenty of time was given to get everybody out of the canyon. Super lucky they pulled the trigger on announcing the Monday night interlodge before the storm really started pounding.

Some businesses chose to not be open to the public at all this year because of lack of satisfactory answer from the hill operators on what to do with a crowd in the event of an unexpected interlodge when the town is full of those not intending to sleep in the canyon.

rumors that the "plan" involves Watsons, Alfs, Albion Grill...

I've been wondering how tight the quarters were for Max Security at the bigger properties this week....

Rime event ruining the snow: real or fake news?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Luckily in this case plenty of time was given to get everybody out of the canyon. Super lucky they pulled the trigger on announcing the Monday night interlodge before the storm really started pounding.

Some businesses chose to not be open to the public at all this year because of lack of satisfactory answer from the hill operators on what to do with a crowd in the event of an unexpected interlodge when the town is full of those not intending to sleep in the canyon.

rumors that the "plan" involves Watsons, Alfs, Albion Grill...

I've been wondering how tight the quarters were for Max Security at the bigger properties this week....
    Any idea if any property was anywhere near max bookings? I'd assume not even close, but who knows with today's ignorance of the pandemic. Still even half all trapped, all day might cause some spikes.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Any idea if any property was anywhere near max bookings? I'd assume not even close, but who knows with today's ignorance of the pandemic. Still even half all trapped, all day might cause some spikes.
    Everybody sold out*, early Monday afternoon as soon as overnight interlodge was announced. each lodge probably could have sold an additional 50 rooms if they had the capacity.

*to their 20-21 covid capacity

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Rain/time crust was real this morning at snowbird (gadzoom). I wouldn't say it ruined it, as you could still turn and it was soft underneath, but it def took the fun out of the powder. After patrol said gad 2 wouldn't open for a long time, hearing that the crust went to 11k, and seeing the insane gadzoom line and people hiking to wilbere, I bailed from snowbird after a single run and went to solitude. Might have been a terrible decision, but I still got several untracked runs off honeycomb/evergreen. The crust was almost absent from solitude, but the snow did feel somewhat dense below 9500.

Also huge thanks to tfw and wra for the stories and historical context. This stuff is great and I love reading it. Would love to see more.

Rime event at the Bird = true. + Ikon + WFR = Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Damn! Hopefully there's some follow-up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Damn! Hopefully there's some follow-up on that.
    agreed. Those pics made it hard to see the crown but that's pretty wild regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Emma’s had a zipper on it as of 5:30 last night
    I skied em this morning thought it skied goooood. The crust was spotty and sort of hard to pin down exactly how to avoid it (I found it on SE, SW, S and E aspects (could have been the rime too) in spots) but overall it didn't matter much as it skied great and wasn't too noticable.

The rime this morning is sure to complicate matters though, that said it had turned to grappel by the time I left this morning so hopefully it's not too widespread and hazardous.

Anyone ski Alta today?

I assume there was enough closed and the crust was manageable enough to the 6:45am pilgrimage tomorrow worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Uh, wow. I hope we get a follow up on that. 2 miles wide is hard to contextualize.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Install some razor wire or electric fencing (solar powered of course)
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    i would guess this time was slightly different as there were not many vacationers and they had the canyon closed the prior night at 10:30, so unless you had a room you had to go down.

Obviously there have been many times where people slept all over, not much can be done, its law...once the rooms are gone its sleep where you can. Covid made this time less of an issue.
    This.....late 90’s I was cooking at the Rustler. We were cleaning up after dinner service the chef came back in and told us to turn everything back on we had to feed at least a 100 people. Road was closed all afternoon for control work. Finally opened it around 8:30 PM to get everyone out of the canyon.

Shit went down multiple natural releases hit the road buried cars. Alta sheriffs dug people out and they told everyone to leave their vehicle and get to the nearest building.

We setup a pasta buffet and people slept on cots and floors all over the lodge. We partied really hard that night super late in the bar. When LCC does it thing it is intense and no joke.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 20-21

JONG question about Solitude parking.. at JH by getting to there before 6:30am you can beat the lot leeches taking your money. Can the same be done at Solitude and if so what time you gotta be there by?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I beat the interlodge one morning in 2019 at the GMD and the road didn't wind up reopening until after 4pm IIRC. They finally got the chairs loading at 11am and Alias_Rice and I had a day that I'll never forget. Couldn't have been more than 500-600 people at Alta.
    I remember it well. Goddamn that was deep. Thinking about that first lap in the Ho still makes me giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    JONG question about Solitude parking.. at JH by getting to there before 6:30am you can beat the lot leeches taking your money. Can the same be done at Solitude and if so what time you gotta be there by?
    Solitude doesn't have parking attendants taking money. It's done by plate number in a system where some dude walks around and checks during the day. Parking on the road is available for the poors though.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post
    Anyone ski Alta today?

I assume there was enough closed and the crust was manageable enough to the 6:45am pilgrimage tomorrow worth it?
    Skied late pm w the kiddo. Just a few laps on kitty, high boy and eagles nest. Not much fresh pow so can’t speak to much on the rime or what got open on the other side. Fun skiing nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Been wondering if I was gonna tell a story tonight. Guess so.
    Got called out on account of muzzling a bitch.
    Been training rescue dog teams up this canyon and in the west for four decades.
    Guess that language comes easy.
    Miss Ulmer doesn't hold a candle to my bitches.

Mid 80's, dogs still wearing beacons in their vests.
    Only Skadi and Pieps at the time.
    Both had ear pieces to hear the signal.
    Skadi's ear pieces were so prone to defect that I carried three of them.
    Fella comes by the sunpit at Gad 2.
    Can hear him talking to his girlfriend.
    "Whats that harness on the dog" she says
    "Holds a rescue beacon" he says.
    We're impressed. Fella knows what's in the pouch?
    As they come abreast he further shows his knowledge.
    "Is that a Pieps or a Skadi in the harness?"
    More impressed.
    "Skadi."
    "How does that work for him?'
    "Pretty good, but he has problems keeping the earpiece in."
    "Yeah, I bet." he says.
    Wasn't trying to make him the fool, but the thought of a dog using a rescue beacon to search for folks under the snow was so hilarious that we hardly contained ourselves 'til they went outta sight.
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 02-19-2021 at 09:28 PM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

It rimed, rained, whatever, at Snowbasin today. Various thickness depending on aspect. Certainly skiable.
    Regarding the marvelous Miss U...she's been quite entertaining since she exploded on the scene at Snowbird when she was 18, gotta admire her determination if not her style.
    Anyone know the Papaya Al [RIP] story?
    Last edited by oldskibum; 02-20-2021 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Been wondering if I was gonna tell a story tonight. Guess so.
    Got called out on account of muzzling a bitch.
    Been training rescue dog teams up this canyon and in the west for four decades.
    Guess that language comes easy.
    Miss Ulmer doesn't hold a candle to my bitches.

Mid 80's, dogs still wearing beacons in their vests.
    Only Skadi and Pieps at the time.
    Both had ear pieces to hear the signal.
    Skadi's ear pieces were so prone to defect that I carried three of them.
    Fella comes by the sunpit at Gad 2.
    Can hear him talking to his girlfriend.
    "Whats that harness on the dog" she says
    "Holds a rescue beacon" he says.
    We're impressed. Fella knows what's in the pouch?
    As they come abreast he further shows his knowledge.
    "Is that a Pieps or a Skadi in the harness?"
    More impressed.
    "Skadi."
    "How does that work for him?'
    "Pretty good, but he has problems keeping the earpiece in."
    "Yeah, I bet." he says.
    Wasn't trying to make him the fool, but the thought of a dog using a rescue beacon to search for folks under the snow was so hilarious that we hardly contained ourselves 'til they went outta sight.
    See I knew the analogy was dogs/keepers, writer/powder. I'm on to you, so watch your top knot.

Could you really possibly be my dad? Somehow? Please? Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post
    Anyone ski Alta today?

Basically everything was closed all day, except the stuff that was open yesterday and already skied out.

Supreme lift opened in the late afternoon, but not Catherine's or even Supreme bowl.

The few pow stashes I managed to find were not crusty at all. The snow was noticeably denser than the 3% stuff but still very good.

Lines were really bad, traffic wasn't great either (7:00am->7:40am to get up the canyon, despite the road being almost completely clear and dry.)

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    True. I was a good boy the past few days and stayed home. But then someone on Facebook told me that not-black is the new green so I got out today to rip some 38* n-facing couloirs. Wish I could say it was good, but it wasn't