Page 105 of 170 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 4250
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Nate, crazy story, holy shit.

123pee, I usually avoid avie terrain if I’m spooked. Especially small pockets at Snowbird, I’ve set off 3-4 small slides at Snowbird solo. Took one ride into a tree even.
    I’ve done the same and some of the photos I’ve seen today from P.Gulch do have me spooked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from OpenSnow: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16136529202689ae78f666ff7ed40a318be5d170d4.PNG 
Views:	168 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	363663 impressive...reference for the forum going folks.

sun doing its thang today, crusts abound.

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    What’s the consensus for tomorrow?

New storm rolling in tonight, albeit much smaller

I can’t imagine much terrain opens at Alta or Snowbird tomorrow if the storm materializes tonight

I’ve also seen reports of resorts advising guests to wear beacons

I normally ski alone at the resorts. Happy to strap my beacon on, but won’t do me much good if I’m solo. Never skied my airbag at a resort before. Am I crazy to be considering it? Something about this snowpack is giving me all sorts of flashbacks to the last few inbounds avalanches at Alta and Snowbird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome question - this is on my mind as well. Curious about the collective’s response.

To add, I know snowpack stability in and out of the resort is not exactly apples to apples, but how to do all go about assessing risk in a resort during times like this? I realize that’s probably a broad and hard question, but now that I’m learning more about BC safety it has me second guessing what I do in a resort. I admittedly use to just blindly ski inbounds without a care in the world and now see the light for better or worse. Apologies in advance for the elementary question from my jongy self.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    I normally ski alone at the resorts. Happy to strap my beacon on, but won’t do me much good if I’m solo. Never skied my airbag at a resort before. Am I crazy to be considering it? Something about this snowpack is giving me all sorts of flashbacks to the last few inbounds avalanches at Alta and Snowbird.
    If you're solo, I'd be more worried about tree wells than avys. We've had three inbounds tree well deaths in the last month (bridger, JHMR, mammoth).

Maybe I assume too much about the extent to which they're bombing...

Given the amount of snow up there, I think it'd be reasonable to ride with an airbag + beacon if it eases your mind at all. A little "pre-caution", even when solo, is better than no "precaution" (I notice lots of people doing this on powder days at resorts like Whistler, Revelstoke, etc. but guessing it's either posing or they're bouncing out the gates). But yeah, I think it's normal to at least think about the sketchy areas that have slid even when patrol has called it good.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Got out in mid BCC this morning for some low angle powder laps with friends.... still got this grin on my face.Name:  IMG-20210218-WA0006.jpeg
Views: 1399
Size:  73.9 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1570.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	363677

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 20-21

TFW and WRA having an open conversation on this thread. Cut out the crap and listen to what these guys have to say. This is wasatch mentoring on another level. I’ve got a good bottle of Irish whiskey I’d love to drink and gleam some wisdom from these luminaries. Don’t want to diminish you’re knowledge Jimmy. But I’m always interested to hear more thoughts from the wizard. Bruce and him have the longest memory of dealing with avalanche conditions without the benefit of explosives in the wasatch. The way I see it as there’s 4 wise sages we still have access to. Bruce, WRA, Titus and tfw. Let the knowledge flow! There’s plenty of padawns awaiting your lessons. I’ll never forget “keep your head up, hike at a speed where you can see the terrain” and “if snow is the problem, terrain is the answer”. Curious as to what WRA’s simple advice is. Heal up legend.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    TFW and WRA having an open conversation on this thread. Cut out the crap and listen to what these guys have to say. This is wasatch mentoring on another level. I’ve got a good bottle of Irish whiskey I’d love to drink and gleam some wisdom from these luminaries. Don’t want to diminish you’re knowledge Jimmy. But I’m always interested to hear more thoughts from the wizard. Bruce and him have the longest memory of dealing with avalanche conditions without the benefit of explosives in the wasatch. The way I see it as there’s 4 wise sages we still have access to. Bruce, WRA, Titus and tfw. Let the knowledge flow! There’s plenty of padawns awaiting your lessons. I’ll never forget “keep your head up, hike at a speed where you can see the terrain” and “if snow is the problem, terrain is the answer”. Curious as to what WRA’s simple advice is. Heal up legend.
    ^Agreed, These two are legends, and TFW might be one of new favorite people haha
    You took too much man, too much, too much

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    im just gonna leave a lil ledgendairy oag ,that kept me and mine in the knows before we'd goes, sumptins
    you may have missed here

not that titus isnt worthy
    but the tk is my goat
    were sillytudin today
    come on east facers
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

What's Titus up to? I used to see that guy kayaking up on the Lochsa every year.

But yeah, awesome pics ya'll and thanks for the knowledge and stories.

Did the 18 degree boogie last night. Should be a zipper on S today at mid, SW may be spared

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Did the 18 degree boogie last night. Should be a zipper on S today at mid, SW may be spared

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    looks plenty sweet to me man...

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Given the amount of snow up there, I think it'd be reasonable to ride with an airbag + beacon if it eases your mind at all. A little "pre-caution", even when solo, is better than no "precaution" (I notice lots of people doing this on powder days at resorts like Whistler, Revelstoke, etc. but guessing it's either posing or they're bouncing out the gates). But yeah, I think it's normal to at least think about the sketchy areas that have slid even when patrol has called it good.
    Yeah I used to ski interior BC stuff with some cool ass norwegian exchange students and they always wore their beacon on big inbounds days, I asked and they said "if you have it, why wouldn't you wear it?"

Even if nobody is there to save your life, at least patrol will be able to find your body and give your family closure.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    they always wore their beacon on big inbounds days, I asked and they said "if you have it, why wouldn't you wear it?"
    ^ agree and told the 11yr old it was the only way he could ski today.

Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    I'm off the meds with no pain but, stuck in a sling. See the doc next Wednesday and hopefully start pt.
    nice man. day by day.

Noob question - but where do people stay during these multiple day LCC interlodges? If travelers/skiers get stuck during the closure, are the lodges required to open rooms to them? Do they have to pay?
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    Noob question - but where do people stay during these multiple day LCC interlodges? If travelers/skiers get stuck during the closure, are the lodges required to open rooms to them? Do they have to pay?
    no insight but love your handle, lol

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    i would guess this time was slightly different as there were not many vacationers and they had the canyon closed the prior night at 10:30, so unless you had a room you had to go down.

Obviously there have been many times where people slept all over, not much can be done, its law...once the rooms are gone its sleep where you can. Covid made this time less of an issue.

I heard the Peruvian parking lot is a great spot to post up for a few nights

Nothing wrong with some low angle pow.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 20-21

Emma’s had a zipper on it as of 5:30 last night

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What's Titus up to? I used to see that guy kayaking up on the Lochsa every year.
    He’s still part time patrolling, not sure about his summers.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1570.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	363677
    Looks amazing!!!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Emma’s had a zipper on it as of 5:30 last night

Glad we have a base everywhere just in time to deal with sun issues for the rest of the year lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Looks amazing!!!
    The tongue makes the shot. POINT!

Glad we have a base everywhere just in time to deal with sun issues for the rest of the year lol
    And I was just wondering why the cutoff for a Steenburgh winter is a 100" base by 2/10

Very selfishly keeping my fingers' crossed that Supreme stays closed till tomorrow....

“How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix