Page 95 of 170 FirstFirst ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 4250
    Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    slides hit the road in BCC as well? Looks like above butler fork per udot
    Small ones, uphill lane was “fine”, downhill was looking buried.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    heh, the old eye of sauron.
    yeah that’s what all the old timers call it

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    This Storm cycles remind me a bit of Christmas 2003. I was living in New Jersey and had plans to stay at the Cliff Lodge between Christmas and New Year’s. We landed in a nuclear blizzard on December 26. Immediately we were advised that both SR 190 and SR 210 we’re closed until further notice. We were asked whether we wanted to stay in the valley or head up to Park city where we could actually ski. We opted for Park city. The snow continued to fall and LCC was closed for an additional three days. When we finally arrived at the cliff on Dec. 29, over 100 inches of snow fell. This is the reason I moved to Utah.
    LCC was not closed for 3 days during the Christmas '03 storm.

eta: This does, however, have the feel of a "huck all of Bad News" type of storm

I wIlL sIgN a WaIvEr!!!11!

Quote Originally Posted by altabird92 View Post
    don't ruin my dreams

MAKE
    ARGENTA
    GREAT
    AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    LCC was not closed for 3 days during the Christmas '03 storm.

eta: This does, however, have the feel of a "huck all of Bad News" type of storm
    Are you sure? December 26, 27, 28? My memory is kind a vivid
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD7D1A85-BEE3-485A-9233-CA920A46E5A5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	363221
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

#RoadClosureAlert Construction
    #SR190 is closed to uphill traffic for
    @UDOTavy
    avalanche mitigation.

Downhill traffic to close at Cardiff (MP 10.5) @ 10am.

Est time of opening 11:30am. Stay tuned for updates.

I know I skied Alta on the 27th with 15 stitches in my noggin from taking a tumble on Christmas Day - that storm was fantastic, I didnt have power for 6 days
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Alright old timers with good memories. Around 96ish there was a giant storm that closed the airport. My friend was living in the 'hood back behind the 7-11. A bunch of us went on vacation and didn't leave for about 2weeks. Total dirtbag style. People quitting their jobs/getting fired. I remember watching skiers just disappear on the Alta backside runout. The move was to just follow someone's tracks and hope you make it out.

Anyone remember that storm? That is still the most snow I've ever seen in my life and I'm guessing it might stay that way.

I finally arrived at the Bird on the 29th. That week whether it be canyons Snowbird or Alta was how I define the word “tits”
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

BCC closed for avi control just got the UDOT text

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    not sure I recall seeing a rose like that here before
    You should move to Tahoe. This day we received between 8" and 20" the night before. There was a well forecast lull in the storm between the first and second waves that lasted all day. Despite the "Avalanches are Certain" there were zero reported other than two very small as a result of ski cutting micro terrain features. It would have been a moderate in Utah. They freak out like that all the time around here. Every storm is an automatic raise to considerable. It's gotten to the point many of us ignore it and base our decisions off just the observations and our own analysis. I know the focus shouldn't be on the hazard rating but i do think Extreme should be reserved for Full Stop and it just isn't here.
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...a-nevada/95159
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

^ yeah, I think the UAC generally does a great job. maybe you get a 1-level holiday weekend danger bump at times but I mostly think they try their best to call it straight

Alta now at max security interlodge

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Every storm is an automatic raise to considerable. It's gotten to the point many of us ignore it and base our decisions off just the observations and our own analysis.

Yeah, that's worked out real well for people the past couple weeks.

Back in the day I was staying at The Inn. Nice studio with a fire place. I was locked in the hotel until almost 11 am. They called it interlodge. Could not even walk outside. Powder day all afternoon. It was awesome
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Yeah, that's worked out real well for people the past couple weeks.
    Tahoe is a different dragon altogether
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Back in the day I was staying at The Inn. Nice studio with a fire place. I was locked in the hotel until almost 11 am. They called it interlodge. Could not even walk outside. Powder day all afternoon. It was awesome
    They still call it interlodge!

Quote Originally Posted by altabird92 View Post
    friend saw the slide push a 4 runner across the road about 10' into the bank. about 20 people were digging them out and created a path for a fire ambulance heading up. be safe out there folks!!

been a blast though. 11 yr-old tree-tappin' friday.

Name:	tree-tap.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	363229

country club skiing with my daughter with the ikon blackout this wkd. skied everything, even sunrise

Name:	sunrise.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	534.7 KB 
ID:	363230

and of course, pow turns ...

Name:	bw-two.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	363231

Name:	bw-one.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	363232

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Alta now at max security interlodge
    I guess with only those staying up there last night thats not bad to enforce. Good thing it wasn't a maze in the lift lines. Where would they all go?

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	214 
Size:	974.3 KB 
ID:	363233

Good news - the Budweiser truck has made it to solitude

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Alright old timers with good memories. Around 96ish there was a giant storm that closed the airport. My friend was living in the 'hood back behind the 7-11. A bunch of us went on vacation and didn't leave for about 2weeks. Total dirtbag style. People quitting their jobs/getting fired. I remember watching skiers just disappear on the Alta backside runout. The move was to just follow someone's tracks and hope you make it out.

Anyone remember that storm? That is still the most snow I've ever seen in my life and I'm guessing it might stay that way.
    I believe I remember the storm you are talking about. I think it was the winter of 96/97. I had just graduated from high school and was working at Christy Sports (Sports Stalker back then). The entire season was really good, but we did get one Saturday where they closed the canyon at like 2PM and interlodged everyone at the resort. It was crazy, the Cliff was handing out blankets and pillows and people were just sleeping in the halls, conference rooms, everywhere. Memory is a bit fuzzy where the big slide was, but I think it was Flagstaff, I think it ran into the Wildcat lot, flipped cars ( I vividly remember seeing a Ford Explorer on its roof in a slide path). The next day was bluebird for about an hour before the next storm moved in, I got on the first tram and got waste deep down Regulator (Peruvian Gulch must have been closed) and did a few more laps of first tracks through Puckerbrush. Cirque finally opened and was all time. It was legitimately too deep because I had to just straightline everything just to keep enough speed up not to get stuck. When I finally went to my car to drive home that afternoon it was just a mountain of snow. It took me about an hour to dig out enough to pull out of the parking stall. Super fun winter.
    Last edited by cpj.slc; 02-16-2021 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    not sure I recall seeing a rose like that here before
    I'm pretty sure that's the picture of the black hole.

Very sure, the road and resorts were closed for one day. UDOT announced a midnight closure, phUnk and I drove up the canyon at like 11:30 and got a room at the Peruvian. Stuck inside the entire following day, the next day the mountain opened around 9:30 and the road opened shortly thereafter.

210 closed for the day.
    Country club round here.
    I'll make some more laps for y'all...
    Jimmy
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.