Page 164 of 170 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 4250
    Always appreciative of TFW storytelling!
    Imagine a campfire, safety supplies and some cold suds with a view to the subtle voice that crosses the horizon.

Todd was a great dude.
    Ive known him a long time.
    This really bums me out.
    I can’t remember for the life of me when, where or how we met but I remember the last time I saw him. I guess that’s what counts.
    I’ll be on the peak.
    RIP Todd.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Its been a while since story time, eh?
    Todd Greenfield was a gunner extraordinaire.
    Tutored by Eric Fields. Who had the fastest, funniest responses on the radio, ever.
    Sighting in the brand new 105 howitzer on Monte Cristo one autumn with media, UAC, FS, DOT, etc. present.
    Bullet flies the ridge into Cardiff; an overshoot.
    Without pause, as everyone is waiting for the report, Fields exclaims "shit, another dud."
    Everyone bought it.
    Always wished I had his radio humor; by the time I could think of a witty response for something, the moment for delivery was well past...
    Overshoots with the military weapons have been a source of both humor and anxiety over the years.
    The Snowbird village gun put a bullet through the Wildcat top shack in the seventies.
    Oops. Luckily the wood was thin, and the fuze did not detonate until the warhead had gone through; only a hole in the shack.
    There were two Avalauncher tail fins into the snow just above Twr. 4 of the tram, bout 4 feet apart on a control morning in the eighties. They were stuck in as if they'd flown from the Alta and Avalaunchers were brand new; we were all very afraid to touch them because once fired they are armed and highly dangerous.
    Anyone guess what the date was? Yep, April 1.
    Did they ever find the stolen avy cannon and ammo at the base of Superior?

thebirdhunter: hope to meet you there.
    You'll know who I am, being the best skier on the hill and all.
    Prolly need some change.

newyabyum: good memory on the Village recoilless. They didn't get into the magazine so the stolen ammo part musta grown on over the years. The breech was stored in the magazine, so the weapon was inoperable. Been a nice addition to my trophy room these last 35 years, though...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Prolly need some change.

newyabyum: good memory on the Village recoilless. They didn't get into the magazine so the stolen ammo part musta grown on over the years. The breech was stored in the magazine, so the weapon was inoperable. Been a nice addition to my trophy room these last 35 years, though...
    Great addition to the story. Thanks for making my day.

Sorry for the hit to the community and snow safety.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Prolly need some change.
    Sorry we never hooked up Jimmy. There was a lot of people there, a testament to Todd's character. When I first got up there I was asking around if anyone seen you but I kept running into people I haven't seen in years, it was like a snowbird in the 90's reunion then the services started. Hopefully we can meet up under better circumstances sometime.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Yeah, man, know what you mean. Think I got a coupla broken ribs from huggin folks not seen for years.
    How can your face hurt so much from smiling at a memorial, eh?
    Guess cause a memorial is where we celebrate the living as well as the dead...
    Another time, maybe.
    If your handle is accurate I may need you to teach me and my dog a few things in our retirement...
    Jimmy

in our retirement...
    Jimmy
    NOOOO!! Say it ain't so ......
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    NOOOO!! Say it ain't so ......
    Ain't so.
    Jest part time retired.
    Dog, too.

Based on this article the LCC Gondola is all but dead. Can't imagine it gets approved when the Mayor's of Salt Lake County, Salt Lake City and Town of Alta want no part of it. If you can't get the local folks to support it why would legislators from elsewhere in the state vote yes on a billion $ project.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/environm...y-city-reject/

If this does get rejected in large part due to the cost why did it take three years and millions of dollars to find out it won't fly?

Also found this interesting;

In the meantime, (Alta Mayor) Sondak wants to see an ironclad commitment from the state that no Olympic events would be staged in Little Cottonwood should Utah win its bid to host the 2030 or 2034 Winter Games.

I oppose any Olympic events up the canyon,” said (Salt Lake County Mayor) Wilson, who serves on Utah’s Olympic bid committee. “I do think it’s good to ask UDOT to put it in, as Mayor Sondak suggests, as a line in the sand. We should not hold Olympic events up this canyon.”

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    save dont pave
    the red snake
    i coulda saved jen a mil in 6 words
    aint no way you beat mitt
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Based on this article the LCC Gondola is all but dead. Can't imagine it gets approved when the Mayor's of Salt Lake County, Salt Lake City and Town of Alta want no part of it. If you can't get the local folks to support it why would legislators from elsewhere in the state vote yes on a billion $ project.

[url]https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2021/09/01/sl-county-city-reject/[/url
    If this does get rejected in large part due to the cost why did it take three years and millions of dollars to find out it won't fly?

Also found this interesting;

In the meantime, (Alta Mayor) Sondak wants to see an ironclad commitment from the state that no Olympic events would be staged in Little Cottonwood should Utah win its bid to host the 2030 or 2034 Winter Games.

I oppose any Olympic events up the canyon,” said (Salt Lake County Mayor) Wilson, who serves on Utah’s Olympic bid committee. “I do think it’s good to ask UDOT to put it in, as Mayor Sondak suggests, as a line in the sand. We should not hold Olympic events up this canyon.”
    I hope you're right, but what Neiderhauser and McCandless want, they usually get.

Where the fuck will have snow by then if not LCC/bcc?

I rip the groomed on tele gear

These are my comments just submitted to UDOT.
    I urge everyone, no matter what alternative one believes, even those for no action to comment on this oversight.
    By tomorrow...

UDOT,
    I have submitted my pro gondola comments already, however it has recently come to my attention that if the gondola initiative passes the gravel pit near the base of BCC will only have 300 stalls.
    What?
    That site is the most logical remaining private land for a parking lot for the Cottonwood Canyons.
    There should be 6,000 stalls.
    Or at least land held to add more as needed.
    I've also heard that there are no negotiations with the owners at this time.
    What?
    Can't help but think you all have the cart before the horse.
    We need massive parking near the freeway for any solution to reduce vehicular traffic in the canyons to work.
    I am pro gondola with adequate parking, I am for no action without adequate parking...

I urge everyone, no matter what alternative one believes, even those for no action to comment on this oversight.
    By tomorrow...

UDOT,
    I have submitted my pro gondola comments already, however it has recently come to my attention that if the gondola initiative passes the gravel pit near the base of BCC will only have 300 stalls.
    What?
    That site is the most logical remaining private land for a parking lot for the Cottonwood Canyons.
    There should be 6,000 stalls.
    Or at least land held to add more as needed.
    I've also heard that there are no negotiations with the owners at this time.
    What?
    Can't help but think you all have the cart before the horse.
    We need massive parking near the freeway for any solution to reduce vehicular traffic in the canyons to work.
    I am pro gondola with adequate parking, I am for no action without adequate parking...

What is the maximum skier capacity at the two resorts?

What is the maximum skier capacity at the two resorts?
    Parking for maximum skier capacity at the four resorts is the issue.
    Max capacity is in the eye of the beholder, eh?
    I thought the Alta would not resign w/ Ikon on account of going over what we all thought was max skier capacity during the "trial signing".
    Wrong. Obviously most ski resorts have a different idea of maximum skier capacity than users do.
    Even the Alta, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Where the fuck will have snow by then if not LCC/bcc?
    They make snow for all the Olympic venues. Real snow just gets in the way. Have you seen the downhill course for Beijing? Looks like it could be in Alabama.

If you can't get the local folks to support it why would legislators from elsewhere in the state vote yes on a billion $ project.
    Because most of the legislature is 1) developers; and 2) from other pars of the state and couldn't care less what liberal twats in SLC and eastern SLCo want? Interesting to see the disconnect between what ASL and TofA want. Overall though, I agree, the gondola now looks a lot less likely.

By tomorrow...

UDOT,
    What?
    I'm pretty sure I remember discussing this with you on the porch in July. IIRC, the gravel pit hub will be 600 stalls not 300, but that's a moot point because either way it's way too few.

Damn I always thought snowbird would have a couple good places for super g and slalom. Also really always considered that the real drive behind the gondola.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Because most of the legislature is 1) developers; and 2) from other pars of the state and couldn't care less what liberal twats in SLC and eastern SLCo want? Interesting to see the disconnect between what ASL and TofA want. Overall though, I agree, the gondola now looks a lot less likely.

I'm pretty sure I remember discussing this with you on the porch in July. IIRC, the gravel pit hub will be 600 stalls not 300, but that's a moot point because either way it's way too few.
    Not only is it way too few, they dropped the number by 1/2 according to my buddy.
    This is an excerpt from a post of mine on 9/10:

Sorry, can't even copy and paste.
    Look at post 3980.

Somewhat alarming news shared by UDOT with the Granite Community Council which my buddy sits on.
    John Thomas who used to be the engineer who'd meet with the council was not there, but a salesman type was.
    Said that UDOT would limit the gondola to 1,050 pph.
    Logic being that they're gonna move the same number with either alternative.
    Huh?
    Snow sheds for both alternatives.
    Doppelmayr was at the meeting as well and said that the towers and cable would be capable of moving 4,000 pph, all you'd have to do is add more cabins.

!BIGGEST ALARM!
    The gravel bit at the mouth of BCC had state funding at one time for 3,000 parking stalls. What happened to that money?
    With the bus alternative it's 1,500.
    With the gondola alternative it's 600.
    My friend reported that UDOT is planning on 300 stalls if the gondola happens.
    Huh?
    No matter what we do for the Cottonwoods we must secure parking for carpooling and mass transit.
    We have watched most prime available land get sold for McMansions for years.
    This is the last big chunk that's not Federally controlled and we need to lobby for much more acreage at the gravel pit, a perfect hub for the Cottonwoods, than their shortsighted minds have in mind...

Whatever one's opinion on transportation in the Canyon's, please comment on this gravel pit oversight by the Sept. 3 deadline, eh?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8324CDA0-3E92-4635-8010-E28E519269C7.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	738.1 KB 
ID:	384325

That surely would’ve been a great place for a transportation hub, probably would’ve needed to widen Wasatch, but that wouldn’t be a hard task. When they put in all those houses there it became apparent this is more about money than actually fixing the problem.

My friend reported that UDOT is planning on 300 stalls if the gondola happens.
    Huh?
    Ah, right, forgot about that post. The cuts to the mobility hubs figured prominently in my comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Damn I always thought snowbird would have a couple good places for super g and slalom. Also really always considered that the real drive behind the gondola.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Continuing the rumor mill, I know someone who coaches at the bird (jfast level I think?) he heard they were going to blast out the top of great scott and have the DH start there through the base.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Continuing the rumor mill, I know someone who coaches at the bird (jfast level I think?) he heard they were going to blast out the top of great scott and have the DH start there through the base.

THAT i would absolutely NOT agree with. That side is the best for viewing though I guess. steep start though.