Page 60 of 170 FirstFirst ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 4250
    Avoided the canyons and went to the 'back. Lots of fresh snow, and it was too unconsolidated for the machines to tackle anything with more than a slight slope. Soo glad to see winter again! Didn't see many signs of instability. Lots of 'bilers hitting the bottoms of steep slopes. Snow was getting manky down low on the exit with a slight zipper crust.

Read that report on the tri chute slide from yesterday. Man, I hate to armchair qb, but that was a big WTF were you thinking?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210124_142044.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	359589

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210124_144142.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	359590
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^ thanks fer gittin er back on track

call if yur gittin out midweek
    Sheldon Mr toaster and the better 1/2
    went back to gits sums murs pow at the mow
    fumble fucked the camera and missed the ermine shot
    hammered sum hippie hills and ob
    phrase of the day
    "just needs a lil mur pitch"
    that being said instabilities abound
    this whole sub ridge collapsed and cracked
    but didnt have the pitch to move

always good to see whyturn and his bro at his home
    and ullr bless

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

That car accident is terrifying for me to see because a few years I ago I narrowly missed being the guy in the subie, also in a subie, also at like that same spot I think.

Saw it coming, Hit the gas, wheels spun then bit at the last possible moment, allowing me to get out of the other cars way. They went off the road, but went off straight, burrowed into deep snow and were fine. If they had clipped me we both would have gone off spinning and rolling and I'm sure would have been fucked up.

As it was though they closed the road a few minutes later, and all already up there got a great country club day with amazing snow, no people, and I got to be the guy that confirmed the lack of Injuries allowed all to shred guilt free.

Really could have been different though.

^^^ Scary AF!

That particular spot deserves a solid railing, it's by far the most exposed in the canyon. It would also help the summer parking situation, this year I saw a car get pulled out after parking on the barely there shoulder and having a front wheel drop off the soft edge. Bet there was some high-pitched screaming when that happened.

The meltdowns on the UDOT twitter feed during the afternoon were legendary. Any thought on the reasoning some people (not UDOT) were giving for blocking the road with the tow-truck to get the vehicles out rather than wait for the canyon to empty? Nasty fluids leaking in the creek? Super sketcky to do that job in the dark?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

It was cathartic to read everyone else's angry tweets while stuck in the traffic, it made me feel less alone

My theory is they wanted to get the vehicles out asap to protect the watershed

You guys don’t even allow a dog to pee up there.....so I’m sure preventing any potential car fluid leakage into,your pristine watershed was priority
    Any update on subie passengers?
    i really could give a fuk what happens to the coal rollin dipshits.......Sorry, not sorry

At a public forum years ago, I asked Jeff Niermeyer from SLC Public Utilities if the avalanche control ordinance affected water quality. I was pretty worked up over a particularly aggressive aerial bombing campaign that had ripped out a bunch of large slides in the backcountry. Anyway, he responded by saying it had a negligible impact and was nothing compared to a wrecked vehicle in one of the creeks. Don't quote me, but I vaguely remember that they have specific protocols that are implemented when these incidents occur.

^^^ Yep.

It's nothing new by the way, it just happens more frequently now cuz, ya' know, ahem, that pass.
    Anybody who knows anything knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
    At a public forum years ago, I asked Jeff Niermeyer from SLC Public Utilities if the avalanche control ordinance affected water quality. I was pretty worked up over a particularly aggressive aerial bombing campaign that had ripped out a bunch of large slides in the backcountry. Anyway, he responded by saying it had a negligible impact and was nothing compared to a wrecked vehicle in one of the creeks. Don't quote me, but I vaguely remember that they have specific protocols that are implemented when these incidents occur.
    My understanding is that when the watershed is impacted like that, the water gets diverted away from the treatment plant. Basically that water gets to run free and won't reach your tap. A major issue with the SLC watershed is that the treatment is relatively basic and simple meaning they don't have the ability to remove oil, antifreeze, etc from the water.

Anyone familiar with Alta local Earth Storm Jacobs?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I haven't spoken to him in several years, but I knew him and skied with him a number of times when I lived in Alta.

I'm not much of a people person, but Earth is one of those folks you don't forget if you've had the opportunity to talk with him.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

yes...why?

We were enjoying a beer on the patio at Goldminer on Sunday after skiing. Started chatting with him. Great guy, really funny and genuine. We had some commonality because we all knew Jim Jack, we were all from the Wenatchee/Leavenworth area.

Skiing was much better Sunday than Saturday, cold temps and a little new seemed to loosen up Saturday’s snow.

We were enjoying a beer on the patio at Goldminer on Sunday after skiing. Started chatting with him. Great guy, really funny and genuine. We had some commonality because we all knew Jim Jack, we were all from the Wenatchee/Leavenworth area.

Skiing was much better Sunday than Saturday, cold temps and a little new seemed to loosen up Saturday’s snow.

yeah he is a, no pun intended, down to Earth man. Beat cancer at least once. If I recall correctly he is from St Croix. Landscapes in summer and skis all winter. Very chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    yeah he is a, no pun intended, down to Earth man. Beat cancer at least once. If I recall correctly he is from St Croix. Landscapes in summer and skis all winter. Very chill.
    Yeah, I thought he said St Thomas but I could be wrong. He said lawncare and he’s got a large garden and greenhouse, supplies produce for the farmers market and restaurants. Takes Dec 1-April 15 off to ski. A character for sure.

Gave us the lowdown on getting hookups for tickets and lodging at Alta.

He’s a homie.

Yeah, I thought he said St Thomas but I could be wrong. He said lawncare and he’s got a large garden and greenhouse, supplies produce for the farmers market and restaurants. Takes Dec 1-April 15 off to ski. A character for sure.

but did he tell you how to get to chad's gap from the bottom of alta?

yeah maybe St Thomas....St something lol.

Anyone seen or heard from Slobby Robbie? Wondering if he is making the pilgrimage from VA each year and still rocking the spademan bindings. My guess is - Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Anyone seen or heard from Slobby Robbie? Wondering if he is making the pilgrimage from VA each year and still rocking the spademan bindings. My guess is - Yes.
    Sadly he passed away. Heart Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Sadly he passed away. Heart Attack.
    Damn. Heck of a guy. Heard he had ticker issues several years ago. RIP

wrote this about Rob after he passed:

Rob taught me how to powder panic.
    One of our first extended interactions was during the March/April 2009 storm which dropped over 12 feet of snow in two weeks. We shouted at each other in the Collins line (until Cowboy intervened) as we waited for the ski hill to open. We kissed and made up at the P-Dog over Tequila shots that sent K.N. and I into a state that involved a concerned call to the police.
    The best outlet for *my* powder panic usually involved getting Rob even more fired up. Trainer and I spent many Interlodge mornings coming up with pranks to pull on him--- or if a storm was particularly crazy, just keeping him updated on the snowfall, radar, and radio chatter. When people were on the verge of upsetting GMD management, a quick request to Rob and P.S. would get the first chair gang involved in getting people's ski boots off the furniture and bodies out of the areas reserved for guests (*ahem* Johnny B).
    It was a delight to get Rob to re-tell my favorite stories to the new kids in town. I laughed just as hard each time as he told about breaking 50 bones in his chest... "But Rob there aren't even 50 bones in a person's chest!" 'Yeah, true, your're right Brent, it was only 16 broken bones but there were 50 *breaks*!' was a favorite, as was the story of calling P-Dog management from the ICU during a heart attack to profusely apologize and explain why he wouldn't be able to show up to give Stonefed their check.
    Powder, Oilers, Tequila (with Stonefed playing on special occasions), Sleep, Repeat.
    Lots of love to Rob and all of his friends and family that have been such a beautiful part of our world (Robbie's world?) in Little Cottonwood Canyon and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    wrote this about Rob after he passed:

Rob taught me how to powder panic.
    One of our first extended interactions was during the March/April 2009 storm which dropped over 12 feet of snow in two weeks. We shouted at each other in the Collins line (until Cowboy intervened) as we waited for the ski hill to open. We kissed and made up at the P-Dog over Tequila shots that sent K.N. and I into a state that involved a concerned call to the police.
    The best outlet for *my* powder panic usually involved getting Rob even more fired up. Trainer and I spent many Interlodge mornings coming up with pranks to pull on him--- or if a storm was particularly crazy, just keeping him updated on the snowfall, radar, and radio chatter. When people were on the verge of upsetting GMD management, a quick request to Rob and P.S. would get the first chair gang involved in getting people's ski boots off the furniture and bodies out of the areas reserved for guests (*ahem* Johnny B).
    It was a delight to get Rob to re-tell my favorite stories to the new kids in town. I laughed just as hard each time as he told about breaking 50 bones in his chest... "But Rob there aren't even 50 bones in a person's chest!" 'Yeah, true, your're right Brent, it was only 16 broken bones but there were 50 *breaks*!' was a favorite, as was the story of calling P-Dog management from the ICU during a heart attack to profusely apologize and explain why he wouldn't be able to show up to give Stonefed their check.
    Powder, Oilers, Tequila (with Stonefed playing on special occasions), Sleep, Repeat.
    Lots of love to Rob and all of his friends and family that have been such a beautiful part of our world (Robbie's world?) in Little Cottonwood Canyon and beyond.
    He was one of the greats and will be missed by me fondly. Always ready to tear it up. Those spademans made me chuckle everytime. He still had extra pairs that were literally BRAND NEW...Skiing in garbage bags, all of it... RIP Robbie.

Nice reminisce, Lone Star.

I'd never met Rob until a day when folks were lined up for a Castle opening. I was top shack alone on Sugar, and he came over. Said he didn't feel well, only symptom, and wondered if he was overreacting by concerning us. He smelled like bad weed and I almost joked that that was the problem, but realized that his alarm bells were going off and respected that. Piney rolls by and we discuss what to do...download? Didn't feel good about having Rob in the air so I toboggan him to Sugar base alone, transfer him via snowmobile to the clinic alone, no big deal. Five stints later...we were close after that.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.