Page 83 of 99 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2451
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Or give up and move to Idaho
    Guilty as charged.

I think that the skiing, both lift served and touring is great and uncrowded. Building more resorts and roads to higher locations will just expand and increase the crowding. I really don’t want easy access to high elevation wilderness. The price of admission keeps the riff raff out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I think that the skiing, both lift served and touring is great and uncrowded. Building more resorts and roads to higher locations will just expand and increase the crowding. I really don’t want easy access to high elevation wilderness. The price of admission keeps the riff raff out.

You may win a battle, but the war will be lost. At least you can't have e-skis....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    You may win a battle, but the war will be lost. At least you can't have e-skis....yet.
    Just wait until the E-snowbike version. I don't know if I'm excited or horrified - maybe both?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I don’t see a war. I never see anyone when I’m touring. Only ski lift served midweek and it’s not crowded.

I don’t see a war. I never see anyone when I’m touring. Only ski lift served midweek and it’s not crowded.

I feel like we aren't quite on the same page. A lot more people day trip from western WA so it's a bit of a different at Stevens/Snoq/Xtal vs Wenatchee

Even with bigger crowds I still think the skiing is great although it needs to be shared more than in prior years. While everyone loves untracked pow, at least people are getting out and enjoying the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    If you asked the average pugetopolis citizen if they would favor another resort, I don't think anyone would say no.
    The average citizen or the average citizen who skis or snowboards? Substantial difference, I'd say. I'll bet there would be an awful lot in the non-skier group saying "why should we disturb even more pristine wilderness for a niche group? We've already got a number of ski areas in the state."

Check back with us in ten years when Wenatchee's population breaks 100k.

Snow in the PNW 20-21: We may have Corona but Corona doesn't have us!

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Check back with us in ten years when Wenatchee's population eclipse's 100k.
    So it’s going to triple in size in 10 years? Maybe Moses Lake/Ephrata/Quincy. There isn’t much land left to build on in Wenatchee. It’s growing for sure though.

I’m just commenting because people bring up the PNW and what they really mean is Seattle metro access Crystal/Snoq/Stevens/Baker. People have no imagination and sense of adventure, there’s a lifetime worth of empty backcountry east of the crest and north east WA. It’s not Instagram worthy though, because no one talks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I feel like we aren't quite on the same page. A lot more people day trip from western WA so it's a bit of a different at Stevens/Snoq/Xtal vs Wenatchee

Even with bigger crowds I still think the skiing is great although it needs to be shared more than in prior years. While everyone loves untracked pow, at least people are getting out and enjoying the mountains.
    More people recreating outdoors in never a bad thing.

So it’s going to triple in size in 10 years? Maybe Moses Lake/Ephrata/Quincy. There isn’t much land left to build on in Wenatchee. It’s growing for sure though.

I’m just commenting because people bring up the PNW and what they really mean is Seattle metro access Crystal/Snoq/Stevens/Baker. People have no imagination and sense of adventure, there’s a lifetime worth of empty backcountry east of the crest and north east WA. It’s not Instagram worthy though, because no one talks about it.

No one said there's not a lifetime of adventure available, it's just not accessible to those of us on the west side. Mostly because of distance not lack of desire.

EDIT: Oh and our horribly capitalistic 9-5 lifestyles.

It doesn't take long for an area to go from hidden gem to overcrowded. In 1990, Wenatchee was bigger than Bend. Now Bend is three times the size of Wenatchee. Bend is tapped out and now it's Wenatchee's turn to explode. Just wait until Mission builds all those Seattle condos they have planned.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    "why should we disturb even more pristine wilderness for a niche group? We've already got a number of ski areas in the state."
    The Early Winters thing answered this in 1970 something.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    The Early Winters thing answered this in 1970 something.
    demographics haven't changed at all since then

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    demographics haven't changed at all since then
    Underfuckingstood, but attitudes now may be even more against development.

Btw, I would’ve loved to have had a small White Pass-like resort but through multitudes of reason it wasn’t gonna happen
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Btw, I would’ve loved to have had a small White Pass-like resort but through multitudes of reason it wasn’t gonna happen
    Yeah, I'd imagine anyone interested in developing new ski terrain is going to want to make lots of money, so that probably means they're thinking "ski resort" rather than "ski area" and that's exactly what will be opposed the most adamantly. I think a White Pass-like development would have more of a chance, but does anyone want to build something like that? Vail's Epic strategy of buying up small local hills as "feeders" for their premier resorts is a step in that direction, but so far they've shown no interest in developing anything brand new as far as I can tell. All the red tape probably makes it a non-starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Just wait until the E-snowbike version. I don't know if I'm excited or horrified - maybe both?

Guh, who would want a clean silent way to access the goods? They totally aren't taking preorders or anything....

It doesn't take long for an area to go from hidden gem to overcrowded. In 1990, Wenatchee was bigger than Bend. Now Bend is three times the size of Wenatchee. Bend is tapped out and now it's Wenatchee's turn to explode. Just wait until Mission builds all those Seattle condos they have planned.
    How old are you? I was born in WA. I’ve been visiting Wenatchee and Bend since the mid ‘70s. Bend had plenty of land and a more moderate climate than Wenatchee. It’s a hot market for sure there’s just nowhere to build, it’s surrounded by federal and state land and the Columbia. A lot(most?) of the new construction is apartments and townhomes. I already own my house. I wouldn’t be able to buy my house if I was moving here now.

If the planned village ever gets approved, I will probably be a geezer by then or dead. The logistics and hurdles that they need to overcome are huge. Water, access, lack of snow, resistance from sportsman and environmental groups etc. By the time it gets going the Squilchuck basin will have marginal snow fall even at the current area and that’s higher elevation. Most years there is no appreciable snow on the land that Mission’s current owner has. Good luck getting water rights from the orchardists for snow making.

Good luck getting water rights from the orchardists for snow making.
    Orchards? Give it ten years and there won't be any orchards around Wenatchee. Just McMansions sprawling to Leavenworth and Plain. And it's just a matter of time before WA gets rid of single family zoning statewide just like OR and CA recently have done (so at least two McMansions per parcel). I think you're correct that Wenatchee will never reach Bend levels. Bend does have more area to sprawl to the north and east and is closer to CA (and misses out on the nasty inversion pollution in the winter). But Bachelor is more than twice the size of Mission. Only people from Dayton can brag about lack of skiing crowds in WA (although I bet even Bluewood is crowded on the weekends).

It sure would be nice if the Puget Sound population had more access to snow and another day ski area.

Again and for the umpteenth time, it's compl3333tly bizarre how the electorate grants destruction to millions and millions of acres of timber and mining land in the PNW, but a ski area is such an environmental horror.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Orchards? Give it ten years and there won't be any orchards around Wenatchee. Just McMansions sprawling to Leavenworth and Plain. And it's just a matter of time before WA gets rid of single family zoning statewide just like OR and CA recently have done (so at least two McMansions per parcel). I think you're correct that Wenatchee will never reach Bend levels. Bend does have more area to sprawl to the north and east and is closer to CA (and misses out on the nasty inversion pollution in the winter). But Bachelor is more than twice the size of Mission. Only people from Dayton can brag about lack of skiing crowds in WA (although I bet even Bluewood is crowded on the weekends).
    I don’t think you know what you’re talking about, east slope valleys are one of the best areas for pear growing. There are urban growth boundaries and agricultural zoning. Have you actually skied much at Mission much midweek? You’re talking out your ass if you think only Bluewood can be uncrowded. Even Snoqualmie and Stevens can be uncrowded and nice.

Anyway, I’m not particularly worried and it’s probably better in Bend than here. Are you bitter because you missed out on the “next best place”?

There is almost no logging on National Forests lands in the Cascades of both WA and OR (spotted owl). Mining isn't that huge here either. There is no good skiing on any DNR state land (so you can't blame the state). You're never going to get congress to remove lands from wilderness designation to build a ski area. The National Parks are out. That leaves National Forest lands adjacent to private property.

The early winters ski area died for financial reasons, not because of environmental laws (the developer won the case that went all the way to the Supreme Court but still gave up on the project). Find a deep pocket investor happy to lose money, and a bunch of flattish private land to build condos and golf courses, and you can build a new ski area in WA. The skiing will suck, just like the skiing would have sucked if the Early Winters/Sandy Butte ski area was built. Think cut runs with manmade snow. New Englanders would think it was sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It sure would be nice if the Puget Sound population had more access to snow and another day ski area.

Again and for the umpteenth time, it's compl3333tly bizarre how the electorate grants destruction to millions and millions of acres of timber and mining land in the PNW, but a ski area is such an environmental horror.
    I'm not sure it's shocking, I bet most people's interaction with the mountains is on I90 and US2. I could see from that perspective why it might seem like there's more than enough ski area usage of our lands.

Even for me I have a bit of a dead zone in my mind's eye about the mountains on the west side between US2 and 90.
    I don’t think you know what you’re talking about, east slope valleys are one of the best areas for pear growing. There are urban growth boundaries and agricultural zoning. Have you actually skied much at Mission much midweek? You’re talking out your ass if you think only Bluewood can be uncrowded. Even Snoqualmie and Stevens can be uncrowded and nice.

Anyway, I’m not particularly worried and it’s probably better in Bend than here. Are you bitter because you missed out on the “next best place”?

Lots of good growing areas get turned into housing or strip mall hell though. Silicon valley, parts of the salt lake/Provo valley for example were very productive as orchards before they were razed.

I saw some commerical land across the river that looked like it was being aimed at selling to housing development instead of wheat. Does that seem likely or are there other issues there?

I don’t think you know what you’re talking about, east slope valleys are one of the best areas for pear growing.
    From orchards to houses: Wenatchee's changing landscape

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/...745a84ae3.html

PORTLAND, OR -- A coalition of conservation groups in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska today released an interactive mapping project that details 11 old-growth logging sales currently in development or soon to be implemented on US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) federal public lands. The projects, which affect approximately 800,000 acres and millions of tons of carbon emissions, are only some of the old-growth logging sales still moving forward despite President Biden’s January 27, 2021 direction to federal agencies on carbon and climate.

https://oregonwild.org/about/press/o...report-reveals
    and:
    http://mvcitizens.org/its-time-to-mo...ation-project/

Sure would be nice to have a new ski area with 1% of that land to provide sustainable jobs.

Which doesn't even begin to address the millions of acres of private land that would be feasible within 2 hours of Seattle. TAFKALS had compiled a list of good ones.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<