Page 88 of 96 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 2397
  1. #2176
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,581
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyj17 View Post
    Seattle transplant here from the east. Decided to stop working in the ski industry, get a big boy job, and work for the weekends. Moving to seattle to work a job downtown and ski more than windcrust in tuckermans. I need a new place to call home. Looking for some recommendations for neighborhoods to live in with:

    1) 30-45 min commute to SLU via bike or public transit
    2) a decent bar nearby so I can drink my job away and meet other ski industry rejects like me
    3) a direct/ish shot to the mountains (crystal, stevens) and the local bc. the less traffic the better

    if you give me some stellar recommendations, I'll give ya a lukewarm PBR
    If you want to meet other skiers and near bars (breweries) live north of the canal / cut (aka Greenlake, Ballard, Fremont) or Central District (maybe). That's where the biggest concentration of people with toys in their garage are that actually use them. South seattle too, but you're not really living car-free so easily over there.

    If you want easier to the mountains, live right by I-90 (think Central district). You next best option is right off 99 (Aurora Ave) which has a straight shot onto I-90 but has a toll. Or the east side by Issaquah. South Seattle is better access to Crystal FWIW...it's like 15 min difference meh.

  2. #2177
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mt. Baker
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ah, the colors of history. The upper mountain holds snow really well into June most years.


    John Goldthorpe was Mt Pilchuck Ski Patrol Director from 1976-78. Timothy Berndt was Patrol Director from 1978-80. The Mt Pilchuck ski area was born in 1951, when the state parks commission gave a permit to the Mt Pilchuck Ski Club to develop a ski area. It's not clear what, if any, facilities the club installed at the time, but the authors write that "in 1953 a lack of snow caused the closing of the ski area." Following this attempt, the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission (WSPRC) obtained a special use permit from the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) to develop and maintain a ski area at Cedar Flats. The Mt Pilchuck Ski Area, under this new agreement, was launched by John Colter and his mother in 1956. The area began with one rope tow. The Mt Pilchuck Ski Patrol was started that year.
    In 1958 the day lodge was constructed. Also in 1958 the entire area legally became the Mt Pilchuck State Park. Creation of the park involved a land exchange agreement between USFS and WSPRC, but the exchange never took place. This led to problems later. By 1963, Pilchuck had three rope tows. The main chairlift was built for the 1963-64 ski season and the lower chairlift was added in 1967, giving Mt Pilchuck Ski Area one of the largest vertical rises in the Northwest. The authors describe a pattern of snowfall extremes, with lean snow years and years with too much snow to operate. Ownership of the mountain concession rights changed hands several times, the final owners being Steve Richter and Heather Recreation, Inc.

    The winters of 1977 and 1978 were poor snow years. In 1976-77, the area was open 2-1/2 months and in 1977-78 just three weeks. 1977-78 was the last winter of operation of Mt Pilchuck Ski Area. The following year, in 1978-79, the ski area was passed back and forth between WSPRC and USFS, with each agency blaming the other for lack of movement on a concession-lease agreement. Finally, due to uncertainty over their ability to renew the lease, Heather Recreation, Inc. decided not to continue operation. The authors write that it was the inability of government entities to get together and make a decision that really killed the area, not poor snow conditions or financial problems of the ski area operators. The authors also blame Governor Dixy Lee Ray for working to kill the state's only winter recreation park.



    http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history...orpe-1980.html
    I'm not 100% certain, but I do remember hearing tales of those lifts getting repurposed to be the original Chair 5 at Baker.... So if thats true they at least went to good use.

    On another note, If I was to build a ski area in N.A. (clearly with someone else's funds) I'd do it up off of Cascade HWY as close to Glacier Peak as I could get. Thats where the mid winter convergence zone sets up the majority of the time, and I'd bet it gets a hell of a lot more snow than even Baker.... but what do I know. That being said the resort that was proposed before the last financial crash up on Cham just outside of Chilliwack BC had a ton of potential. I used to help maintain a private snowmobile accessed ski cabin up there, and it got every inch of snow Baker got... if not more with the cold frazer river air flow.
    Last edited by Gunder; 09-24-2021 at 03:24 PM.

  3. #2178
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyj17 View Post
    Seattle transplant here from the east. Decided to stop working in the ski industry, get a big boy job, and work for the weekends. Moving to seattle to work a job downtown and ski more than windcrust in tuckermans. I need a new place to call home. Looking for some recommendations for neighborhoods to live in with:

    1) 30-45 min commute to SLU via bike or public transit
    2) a decent bar nearby so I can drink my job away and meet other ski industry rejects like me
    3) a direct/ish shot to the mountains (crystal, stevens) and the local bc. the less traffic the better

    if you give me some stellar recommendations, I'll give ya a lukewarm PBR
    Agree with thejongiest. You want to live in Ballard/Fremont/wallingford area to have a nice community & access to bars (breweries). I personally wouldn’t want to live in Capitol Hill.

    Where are you planning on skiing?

  4. #2179
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Slightly off route
    Posts
    119
    I'd add Greenwood to that list. Not nearly the scene as Ballard/Fremont/Wallingford, but it's not dead either (has a climbing gym if that matters).

    Light rail stations for commuting downtown are nearby - and quick hop onto 99 (then 90) for access to mountains.

    But main plus - for now - is probably *slightly* lower housing costs than the other areas.

  5. #2180
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Slightly off route
    Posts
    119

  6. #2181
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,637
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyj17 View Post
    Seattle transplant here from the east. Decided to stop working in the ski industry, get a big boy job, and work for the weekends. Moving to seattle to work a job downtown and ski more than windcrust in tuckermans. I need a new place to call home. Looking for some recommendations for neighborhoods to live in with:

    1) 30-45 min commute to SLU via bike or public transit
    2) a decent bar nearby so I can drink my job away and meet other ski industry rejects like me
    3) a direct/ish shot to the mountains (crystal, stevens) and the local bc. the less traffic the better

    if you give me some stellar recommendations, I'll give ya a lukewarm PBR
    Add Lower Queen Anne to the list.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  7. #2182
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    3,550
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    if mike and jamie want to start one, by all means....

    but I was under the impression the new thread requirements were pass-level turns?
    Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    The world needs more Donnely and less Stainless.

  8. #2183
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Slightly off route
    Posts
    119
    Hmmmm, wasn't aware of that condition.

    Although I would vote that 11 year TAY'ers should get a little leeway on this one!

    Wish I had been up there. Plus fat skis were used!

    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    if mike and jamie want to start one, by all means....

    but I was under the impression the new thread requirements were pass-level turns?

  9. #2184
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,518
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Kind of odd to schlepp a helmet all the way up only to leave it on your pack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  10. #2185
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I'm not 100% certain, but I do remember hearing tales of those lifts getting repurposed to be the original Chair 5 at Baker.... So if thats true they at least went to good use.

    On another note, If I was to build a ski area in N.A. (clearly with someone else's funds) I'd do it up off of Cascade HWY as close to old Snowy as I could get. Thats where the mid winter convergence zone sets up the majority of the time, and I'd bet it gets a hell of a lot more snow than even Baker.... but what do I know. That being said the resort that was proposed before the last financial crash up on Cham just outside of Chilliwack BC had a ton of potential. I used to help maintain a private snowmobile accessed ski cabin up there, and it got every inch of snow Baker got... if not more with the cold frazer river air flow.
    Do you know if that area near Chilliwack sees a lot of skiers? I would guess so given the nearby Vancouver metro.

    Also, maybe my geography is off, but isn't Old Snowy down south by Goat Rocks?

  11. #2186
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,581
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Add Lower Queen Anne to the list.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That place is for single people in their 30s. Just FYI. If you fall in that category, it's a great place.

  12. #2187
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    but I was under the impression the new thread requirements were pass-level turns?
    Indeed.

  13. #2188
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Agree with thejongiest. You want to live in Ballard/Fremont/wallingford area to have a nice community & access to bars (breweries). I personally wouldn’t want to live in Capitol Hill.

    Where are you planning on skiing?
    Freelard. Good bike ride into downtown. Phinney ridge if you want a punisher of a climb on the way home

  14. #2189
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    10,409
    FYI, that better be a lucrative gig to live in any of those hoods.

    Interesting history on Pilchuck. They wanted to expand. https://www.heraldnet.com/life/snows-of-pilchucks-past/

  15. #2190
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,837
    Quote Originally Posted by tannyj17 View Post
    Seattle transplant here from the east. Decided to stop working in the ski industry, get a big boy job, and work for the weekends. Moving to seattle to work a job downtown and ski more than windcrust in tuckermans. I need a new place to call home. Looking for some recommendations for neighborhoods to live in with:

    1) 30-45 min commute to SLU via bike or public transit
    2) a decent bar nearby so I can drink my job away and meet other ski industry rejects like me
    3) a direct/ish shot to the mountains (crystal, stevens) and the local bc. the less traffic the better

    if you give me some stellar recommendations, I'll give ya a lukewarm PBR
    I did roughly this ten years ago - worth it! I'm in the Phinney/Greenwood area and it strikes a nice balance of having stuff you can walk to, but no scene, while also being a short drive from 99 and I-5. Note that if you are on the west side of Green Lake it sort of gets in the way when you are trying to get to 5. While some areas are a little better located for skiing (depending on your destination of choice) there are a lot of skiers here which makes it easier to find people to go with. Driving east/west can be slow, so I don't really recommend Ballard for highway access.

  16. #2191
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mt. Baker
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Do you know if that area near Chilliwack sees a lot of skiers? I would guess so given the nearby Vancouver metro.

    Also, maybe my geography is off, but isn't Old Snowy down south by Goat Rocks?
    It doesn't see a ton, as its not the easiest to access without sleds. and I meant Glacier peak...

  17. #2192
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Freelard. Good bike ride into downtown. Phinney ridge if you want a punisher of a climb on the way home
    That climb is the only reason I’m in any kind of shape for ski season.

  18. #2193
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,715
    Meh... Lake City is where it's at

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

  19. #2194
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    3,901
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Meh... Lake City is where it's at

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I’m a proud graduate of Cedar Park Elementary School, Jane Addams and Nathan Hale, grew up in Lake City
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

  20. #2195
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Riblet Tramway View Post
    I still think the most untapped potential for a new ski area in WA exists up in the Selkirks near Metaline Falls
    Doubt that will ever happen as there isn't a population around to support, but that would make Metaline Falls one of the sickest little ski towns in the US. 40 minutes to Kootney Pass for backcountry (highest paved pass in Canada), 1 hour to Whitewater, and 1 hour 20 minutes to Red.

  21. #2196
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    542
    Nice day for a hike!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1632616891.507113.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	386644

  22. #2197
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,837
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Doubt that will ever happen as there isn't a population around to support, but that would make Metaline Falls one of the sickest little ski towns in the US. 40 minutes to Kootney Pass for backcountry (highest paved pass in Canada), 1 hour to Whitewater, and 1 hour 20 minutes to Red.
    Has anyone here ever skied in the mountains on the US side near there? Something tells me people with sleds and skis just keep heading north.

  23. #2198
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,663
    All the good stuff in WA up there is in wilderness. The wilderness goes right to the Canadian and Idaho border. So long slogs in. If people ski it they are doing a good job of being quiet about it. Or you can cross into Canada and drive on a paved highway to 5,800 ft at Kooteney Pass.

  24. #2199
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,837
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    All the good stuff in WA up there is in wilderness. The wilderness goes right to the Canadian and Idaho border. So long slogs in. If people ski it they are doing a good job of being quiet about it. Or you can cross into Canada and drive on a paved highway to 5,800 ft at Kooteney Pass.
    Summed up my thought there - at a certain point it’s just easier to travel farther for fast/easy access. Really it’s impressive that they keep that pass open year round!

  25. #2200
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    SEA
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Agree with thejongiest. You want to live in Ballard/Fremont/wallingford area to have a nice community & access to bars (breweries). I personally wouldn’t want to live in Capitol Hill.

    Where are you planning on skiing?
    hey goCougs. Planning to ski Crystal since it is on the ikon, but I still want a few days at Stevens and Baker. plus some BC days (I'd like almost 50/50 BC/resort). what is the scene like at the resorts?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •