Page 61 of 99 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2451
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Snowboarder triggered avy on Shuksan arm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HXxGcLzM70
    Looks like he beat it, that's some badass riding . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Skier of the Hood View Post
    Attachment 366916Attachment 366916

Standard decent with standard up track.

Gunsight is a good short ski, just annoying when people take literally two turns and set tons of traverse tracks across the thing instead of skiing it out to the bottom.
    Yeah... I saw that from inbounds. Thanks.

Wonder if there’s another perspective on vid? They shredded it like G

Still winter out thereClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210311_114914.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	366971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210311_113101.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	366972

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210311_130931.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	366977

Name:	20210311_115012.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	366978

Name:	20210311_115014_001.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	366979

I heart winter.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

^^^ NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Caught and carried, but was lucky to stay on top.
    (per NWAC)

Snow in the PNW 20-21: We may have Corona but Corona doesn't have us!

Might be the end of winter conditions over here in the Wenatchee Mnts without a refresh. Great week of hiking and touring for turns.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Had a great spring skiing session at Stevens with my youngest. Sun was out but got some tempering from light clouds. Snow was amazing until about 1 pm. Temps got really warm but crowds were really light. I love actual spring skiing in the PNW...with sun and not rain.

The parking lots were another matter all together. Either an icy mess or semi-permafrost with huge icy puddles (more like ponds).

G Lot across the highway offered some really fun gawking as low clearance vehicles tried to navigate the icy potholes and puddles. Watching this Tesla Model 3 get stuck was a highlight. Maybe he should have bought a Subie.

Name:	Image1615685591.547339.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	369.3 KB 
ID:	367272
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Today was a party in the slot. Totally ragged in there now. Views were phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier of the Hood View Post
    Attachment 366916Attachment 366916

Standard decent with standard up track.

Gunsight is a good short ski, just annoying when people take literally two turns and set tons of traverse tracks across the thing instead of skiing it out to the bottom.
    Dude, seriously. I dig your TRs, but Wtf. WP has gotten slammed by dweebus refugees, no need to draw an X with a map on it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    A Baker buddy told me it was pro rider Austen Sweetin
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Had a great spring skiing session at Stevens with my youngest. Sun was out but got some tempering from light clouds. Snow was amazing until about 1 pm. Temps got really warm but crowds were really light. I love actual spring skiing in the PNW...with sun and not rain.

The parking lots were another matter all together. Either an icy mess or semi-permafrost with huge icy puddles (more like ponds).

G Lot across the highway offered some really fun gawking as low clearance vehicles tried to navigate the icy potholes and puddles. Watching this Tesla Model 3 get stuck was a highlight. Maybe he should have bought a Subie.

Name:	Image1615685591.547339.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	369.3 KB 
ID:	367272
    I live for moments like this....

Awesome end to the night skiing at Mission yesterday. The normally closed gate to Chak Chak was still open until late and we enjoyed the last of the sun in Outback, even finding a select few fresh turns.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1,015.7 KB 
ID:	367339

Name:	IMG_2577.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	689.1 KB 
ID:	367340
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Caught and carried, but was lucky to stay on top.
    (per NWAC)
    Pretty sure the info on NWAC is unrelated.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Tech talk question for you volcano skiers ... any of you try using a GW boot as your main touring / skimo boot?

I don’t get out even remotely as often as I used to ... but I need new ski boots, and the one I’ve found that has the best fit before molding/fitting work is offered as GW only - no option for a full rubber sole. I’m really curious how durable the AFD interface pads will be for those random choss walking times when you don’t have the crampons on, and whether they also give you those “oh F” moments if the pad slides on rock before the grip part catches traction?

Also, lol@ Steven’s lot shitshow. Good times.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    Awesome end to the night skiing at Mission yesterday. The normally closed gate to Chak Chak was still open until late and we enjoyed the last of the sun in Outback, even finding a select few fresh turns.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1,015.7 KB 
ID:	367339

Name:	IMG_2577.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	689.1 KB 
ID:	367340
    You found all my tracks from mid week. Top to bottom runs down Bowl 4 and exiting the Outback. It was great skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Tech talk question for you volcano skiers ... any of you try using a GW boot as your main touring / skimo boot?

I don’t get out even remotely as often as I used to ... but I need new ski boots, and the one I’ve found that has the best fit before molding/fitting work is offered as GW only - no option for a full rubber sole. I’m really curious how durable the AFD interface pads will be for those random choss walking times when you don’t have the crampons on, and whether they also give you those “oh F” moments if the pad slides on rock before the grip part catches traction?

Also, lol@ Steven’s lot shitshow. Good times.
    Getting out of the sw chutes could be challenging and eat the soles up. Helen's and Hood youd be fine (with crampons).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That’s exactly the kind of thing I’m worried about (and the kind of place I like to ski) ... but I’d wanna hear it from someone who has actually tried GW, as this could totally be an excessive fear that may take several outings and years to manifest (at which point getting new sole blocks wouldn’t be unreasonable anyways).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Probably a better thread for tech talk, but I have a pair of Salomon S/LAB MTN boots with Contragrip soles on them (which, near as I can tell meet the GripWalk standard, even though Salomon doesn't say so) and soft rubber toe pieces (Salomon's website says they're ISO 13992 compliant FWIW) that I have found to be pretty crappy. The front soft, rubber sole bit that is ahead of the actual Congragrip rubber that covers most of the bottom is chewed up and on one of my boots I had to re-affix it with marine epoxy after ~75% of the pad separated due to boot packing up a peak and doing some mild scree scrambling. The back pad doesn't handle the abuse of tech pins very well at all and they're pretty chewed up. Their squishiness also makes stepping into tech bindings slightly more annoying.

I'm pretty disappointed with how fragile those pads are. I got the boots just before COVID closed everything last year and had less than a dozen days on them last year and about two dozen this year, with a mix of inbounds, side country, and longer tours.

The crappy pads are the ones I outlined in red. The black Contragrip sole itself seems fine.
    Name:  bootsole.png
Views: 490
Size:  659.9 KB

ZBO and MOFRO. Damn! FOMO>>>

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    Probably a better thread for tech talk, but I have a pair of Salomon S/LAB MTN boots with Contragrip soles on them ... ~75% of the pad separated due to boot packing up a peak and doing some mild scree scrambling. The back pad doesn't handle the abuse of tech pins very well at all and they're pretty chewed up.

I'm pretty disappointed with how fragile those pads are. I got the boots just before COVID closed everything last year and had less than a dozen days on them last year and about two dozen this year, with a mix of inbounds, side country, and longer tours.
    Thanks for the info! I know it’s tech talk, was just hoping to get info from folks who are more likely to share the same terrain, as like 90% of my touring / mountaineering over the next 10 years is probably gonna be between Lassen and Adams.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Looks like there’s still some lines up there. Nice work though.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Thanks for the info! I know it’s tech talk, was just hoping to get info from folks who are more likely to share the same terrain, as like 90% of my touring / mountaineering over the next 10 years is probably gonna be between Lassen and Adams.
    Hey, volcano moraine-friendly footware is a pretty PNW-specific topic. I'm onboard. Also chewed my share of boots over the years exiting SW chutes over said terrain. Believe me, a proper AT sole will meet the same fate.