Page 54 of 99 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2451
    Holy fucking sleeper day at Mission. The report wasn't favorable this morning, nor were the winds, so I think a lot of people bagged it. But by second lap they had the summit open. Buddy and I got 1st tracks down 4 of our favorite lines. Some areas were wind scoured but if you knew where to look for the deposits it was so good. I've honestly seen more people up there skiing in the rain than were on the mountain this morning. May not have been the best or deepest snow of the season but the consistency of untouched turns made it a winner. No pics so it probably didn't happen
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    People are either too scared or lazy to hike to the top. Instead they traverse under people skiing off the top and make sweet traverse lines to blow you up and lose 99% of their vert without making any good turns.
    It’s what happens when you don’t require gear to go out of southback and people who have no business leaving a groomer go exploring since they see other people going that way.
    Southback on Saturday was the biggest gong show of literally a pack of women in their 60s on rental gear asking if it would get easier if they kept going further out and people on rental skis. A 5 min section took 30+ min at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They need one of those "are you beeping signs" and make it mandatory to carry avy gear. It will help weed out a few folks for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    Holy fucking sleeper day at Mission. The report wasn't favorable this morning, nor were the winds, so I think a lot of people bagged it. But by second lap they had the summit open. Buddy and I got 1st tracks down 4 of our favorite lines. Some areas were wind scoured but if you knew where to look for the deposits it was so good. I've honestly seen more people up there skiing in the rain than were on the mountain this morning. May not have been the best or deepest snow of the season but the consistency of untouched turns made it a winner. No pics so it probably didn't happen
    One of my best days this season. We skied so many untracked runs today. Two untracked runs top to bottom in bowl 5 between 1430 and 1500

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    One of my best days this season. We skied so many untracked runs today. Two untracked runs top to bottom in bowl 5 between 1430 and 1500

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Excellent, glad you guys were up there. Mountain looked empty on the webcam and social media, but i was suspecting it would be good!
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    They need one of those "are you beeping signs" and make it mandatory to carry avy gear. It will help weed out a few folks for sure.
    I remember a few years ago crystal had patrollers stationed at the start of the hike/traverse out to Southback checking everyone for beacons and hassling (but allowing to pass) those without beacons on. I think they even announced to the folks waiting for the hike to open that only those with beacons would be allowed to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I remember a few years ago crystal had patrollers stationed at the start of the hike/traverse out to Southback checking everyone for beacons and hassling (but allowing to pass) those without beacons on. I think they even announced to the folks waiting for the hike to open that only those with beacons would be allowed to pass.
    Yep happens sometimes when conditions are a little touchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yep happens sometimes when conditions are a little touchy.
    I've had multiple south openings when they've asked those without kit+partner to give everyone else 10 min to conduct some additional live action testing.

Today was all time great at Crystal when Northway opened. They'd opened Chair 6 ~45 minutes before opening Northway and so everyone had vanished from Green Valley. I was in the first group of people through Gate 1 and it was all time amazing over the shoulder / face shots on every turn all the way down. Got to put down fresh tracks in blower under the chair from Gate 3. Then just lap after lap of fresh tracks off Morning Glory. Was still dumping at my truck in the parking lot when I left.

Snapped this pic of the huge crown on Penny Dawg (that's what the trail map calls the area from those cliffs under the chair, but that's not what the sign Penny Dawgs points to… I have no idea whether that's the proper name) from the chair, didn't look like it slid too far since looker's left was a bunch of debris with a few inches of new snow on top of it (guessing it went yesterday / overnight as I didn't see a bomb pit or anything either).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_006019.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	821.6 KB 
ID:	364562

Southback never opened and tomorrow looks to be clear and cold. Should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    Today was all time great at Crystal when Northway opened. They'd opened Chair 6 ~45 minutes before opening Northway and so everyone had vanished from Green Valley. I was in the first group of people through Gate 1 and it was all time amazing over the shoulder / face shots on every turn all the way down. Got to put down fresh tracks in blower under the chair from Gate 3. Then just lap after lap of fresh tracks off Morning Glory. Was still dumping at my truck in the parking lot when I left.

Snapped this pic of the huge crown on Penny Dawg (that's what the trail map calls the area from those cliffs under the chair, but that's not what the sign Penny Dawgs points to… I have no idea whether that's the proper name) from the chair, didn't look like it slid too far since looker's left was a bunch of debris with a few inches of new snow on top of it (guessing it went yesterday / overnight as I didn't see a bomb pit or anything either).

Name:	IMG_006019.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	821.6 KB 
ID:	364562

Southback never opened and tomorrow looks to be clear and cold. Should be good.
    Penny dawgs is right next to nickel kitty

I have no idea what/where nickel kitty is.

Crystal has some of the worst trail maps / naming coherence of anywhere I've ever skied.

Have you ever been to Baker?

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    I have no idea what/where nickel kitty is.
    Next to penny dawgs.

Does it have to have a name that you know?

You're really relying on a trail map?

Fair point. But at least Baker uses a map made by Niehues that gives a reasonable sense of topography instead of the VistaMap dreck that Crystal uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Next to penny dawgs.

Does it have to have a name that you know?

You're really relying on a trail map?
    I don't know the local names of hardly anything at Crystal since I'd only skied there a handful of times, and always with a bunch of locals who rattled off run names and spots faster than I could keep up with, before I moved to Tacoma 18 months ago.

Ptavv is right, Crystal was bitchin today. Short lift lines and refills all day(probably snowed 5-6 inches from when 8-2:30. Real nice cream cheese pow on exterminator and Northway laps later in the day were excellent.

Tomorrow should be a great day for some sunny south laps if they get it open

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    Ptavv is right, Crystal was bitchin today. Short lift lines and refills all day(probably snowed 5-6 inches from when 8-2:30. Real nice cream cheese pow on exterminator and Northway laps later in the day were excellent.

Tomorrow should be a great day for some sunny south laps if they get it open
    Will be out lapping 6. Teal/tan/teal on Goats.

Has no one seen the avie carnage on Stevens and elsewhere?
    Check the NWAC site. Impressive activity from this last storm/rain event. I cant seem to post photos with my iphone or I'd do so.
    Do what you like. Try not to arbitrarily be an ass. -- skizix

the bumps are just better without hooveprints in them. -- lightranger

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    Has no one seen the avie carnage on Stevens and elsewhere?
    Check the NWAC site. Impressive activity from this last storm/rain event. I cant seem to post photos with my iphone or I'd do so.
    I drove past the Rock mountain slide they talked about yesterday, that thing was massive. I have never seen an avy run so big before, it was something else.

not happy about missing today, this one snuck by me.

Not happy about missing out today, tomorrow, and Friday. Can I quit my job already?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Yep, have had the experience on multiple occasions after some deep storm totals and somewhat touchy snow pack, where patrol got some decent results during their control work.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Great bluebird morning laps hiking the throne w/ Ptavv. Shaded goods delivered, but everything got progressively cooked as the day wore on. Views alone made the trip out worth it, never gets old.

Exterminator first thing was all time. Waited for two hours at the South Gate(we had a bell to bell day yesterday too). Finished the day off with two south laps on north aspects. Epic two days. Be back friday

Is the bottom turn a thing for skiing?

Fun day. Found huskydoc in the FQ line on my way to 6 in the AM and then after realizing how quickly the sun was cooking the new snow we started hiking to wherever it was shady. I didn't stick around for the (eventual) opening of A-basin, but it looks like it was choice.

Here's a pic of the King from about noon.

Name:	IMG_006022.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	364718

Heading to Xtal tomorrow if anyone wants to hook up. Send PM or look for guy on Rossi S3's, Lange boots, dark blue Arcteryx coat w/ blk pants
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!