Page 49 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2451

Snow in the PNW 20-21: We may have Corona but Corona doesn't have us!

Dope stuff Riff! Really bummin on the sidelines

Great Stoke Shots!

For the love of God, somebody ski dweebus tomorrow. Absolutely puking at last chair, boot-knee deep light blower down exterminator. It's going to be all time if this keeps up...

I’ll be at Crystal tomorrow if someone wants to meet up.

today good at dweebus. Tomorrow will be tremendous. Wish I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

This weekend at the northern dead end gave me hope.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I’ll be at Crystal tomorrow if someone wants to meet up.
    I'll be there too! PM'd you.

I'll be at xtal. Veneer GPO's or Owl Graphic Husume's.

Alright, does anyone know what the hell happened at Stevens? Something about the workers walking off the job and being only able to run half the lifts?
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Alright, does anyone know what the hell happened at Stevens? Something about the workers walking off the job and being only able to run half the lifts?
    I heard from someone in line last week that "worked there" that this has been ongoing for a while and the reason, or one of the reasons why they've had so many "maintenance" issues with lifts. But, this was just gossip in the liftline from someone claiming to be an employee.

Thanks guys! Here’s a few more Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7863.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	840.5 KB 
ID:	363256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7868.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	934.1 KB 
ID:	363257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7889.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	831.2 KB 
ID:	363258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7937.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	772.5 KB 
ID:	363259

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

ya buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    I heard from someone in line last week that "worked there" that this has been ongoing for a while and the reason, or one of the reasons why they've had so many "maintenance" issues with lifts. But, this was just gossip in the liftline from someone claiming to be an employee.
    A labor dispute would explain it...I mean, it's peak winter break right now and you have Brooks, Jupiter, Double Diamond, and Southern Cross closed....

https://twitter.com/stevensupdates/s...385426432?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    now that's epic

Killer stoke Riff!!

Snow in the PNW 20-21: We may have Corona but Corona doesn't have us!

My girlfriend is a long time patroller up at Stevens, and is a big part of the patrol union after the Vail purchase. She’s on the contract negotiating team for the patrol, and they’ve essentially been deadlocked with Vail legal for 20 months now. Without going into lengthy details, Vail oversight hasn’t improved working conditions at Stevens, and the patrol unionized to hopefully have a voice. She’s been working through entire days of contract negotiations, every month or so, for almost two years, with very little progress. The patrol did a few interviews with media lately and had an informational picket in downtown Leavenworth. If Vail doesn’t start bargaining in good faith, the patrol union may step it up. As for the lift ops stuff, I’m not informed about the mechanical state of things, but last week the lifties did do a last minute sorta protest by not showing up. They contacted my gal to talk through some of the things they are struggling with. I know this isn’t really any clarity for what’s happening up there, but I only patrolled up there for a couple years and got out before the Vail purchase so I stay out of the gritty details on the politics and just support her as needed. Let’s just say, If you have a way to express your feelings to the Vail overlords, the working people on the mountain would appreciate your support. I’ll find a few of the contact methods and post them up here if you all like.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Thanks for the info Riff. Good on your GF and others.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Let’s just say, If you have a way to express your feelings to the Vail overlords, the working people on the mountain would appreciate your support.
    I did so via the survey they send out after you purchase a lift ticket last week.

My girlfriend is a long time patroller up at Stevens, and is a big part of the patrol union after the Vail purchase. She’s on the contract negotiating team for the patrol, and they’ve essentially been deadlocked with Vail legal for 20 months now. Without going into lengthy details, Vail oversight hasn’t improved working conditions at Stevens, and the patrol unionized to hopefully have a voice. She’s been working through entire days of contract negotiations, every month or so, for almost two years, with very little progress. The patrol did a few interviews with media lately and had an informational picket in downtown Leavenworth. If Vail doesn’t start bargaining in good faith, the patrol union may step it up. As for the lift ops stuff, I’m not informed about the mechanical state of things, but last week the lifties did do a last minute sorta protest by not showing up. They contacted my gal to talk through some of the things they are struggling with. I know this isn’t really any clarity for what’s happening up there, but I only patrolled up there for a couple years and got out before the Vail purchase so I stay out of the gritty details on the politics and just support her as needed. Let’s just say, If you have a way to express your feelings to the Vail overlords, the working people on the mountain would appreciate your support. I’ll find a few of the contact methods and post them up here if you all like.

Had no idea.

“We want Vail to treat ski patrol as professionals,” he says, “and not as a seasonal, expendable workforce to be exploited.”
    https://www.outsideonline.com/242037...-resorts#close

Yeah, thanks for the info. Anyway to support the workers would be great.

That's a tough situation for the patrollers and lift mechanics. VR will slow walk the talks and try and wear down the union folks. That's what happens when you essentially end up with a couple large companies that run most of the ski resorts in America.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Toadman, thankfully the trollers and lifties see the stalling for what it is, and are getting more unified as it drags on.

Gravity always wins...

I was up there on Sunday night. Kehrs and Tye closed at 4 sharp. Brooks "Broken" (a little birdie told me VR considers it redundant and so drag their feet on repairs). I talked to four lifties, 1 patroller and the cafe folks: Everyone is f****** miserable. Direct quote: "We want to be here, we want to work, The choices management is making is making that harder and harder".

It's now 1:00 on a weekday. Backside remains closed and not due to unmitigatable avy danger. Stevens is a shell of its former self, and it's a damn shame.

I wrote a nasty tweet, I emailed management. I'm not sure what else a single customer can do except vote with their wallet. My suspicion is that buying Stevens has been a bit of a boondoggle for Vail, particularly with the border closure impacting Epic sales, and as a result they're doing everything they can to clamp down on costs. This intern is going to lead to a vicious cycle: less of the mountain open will send paying customers elsewhere, intern decreasing revenue and forcing further closures. My only hope is that they're forced to sell in the near future.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I seriously doubt anyone in management cares what John q mouthbreather thinks of their business practices...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    My only hope is that they're forced to sell in the near future.
    I hope for this also.

Stevens seems to be outside Vail's usual arena of real estate speculation. With nowhere to put a hotel, how can they be profitable? Maybe it's just a write off so they don't care?

The Stevens experience has definitely changed. I also get that Vail is a business, making decisions for profit/shareholder reasons. However, the overwhelming number of people I talk with agree with you; please sell and gtfo. Turnover of disgusted senior patrollers makes it really tough to open terrain in a safe and timely way on avy mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...