Page 88 of 99 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 2451
    I'd add Greenwood to that list. Not nearly the scene as Ballard/Fremont/Wallingford, but it's not dead either (has a climbing gym if that matters).

Light rail stations for commuting downtown are nearby - and quick hop onto 99 (then 90) for access to mountains.

But main plus - for now - is probably *slightly* lower housing costs than the other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by tannyj17 View Post
    Seattle transplant here from the east. Decided to stop working in the ski industry, get a big boy job, and work for the weekends. Moving to seattle to work a job downtown and ski more than windcrust in tuckermans. I need a new place to call home. Looking for some recommendations for neighborhoods to live in with:

1) 30-45 min commute to SLU via bike or public transit
    2) a decent bar nearby so I can drink my job away and meet other ski industry rejects like me
    3) a direct/ish shot to the mountains (crystal, stevens) and the local bc. the less traffic the better

if you give me some stellar recommendations, I'll give ya a lukewarm PBR
    Add Lower Queen Anne to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    if mike and jamie want to start one, by all means....

but I was under the impression the new thread requirements were pass-level turns?

Hmmmm, wasn't aware of that condition.

Although I would vote that 11 year TAY'ers should get a little leeway on this one!

Wish I had been up there. Plus fat skis were used!

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    if mike and jamie want to start one, by all means....

but I was under the impression the new thread requirements were pass-level turns?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Kind of odd to schlepp a helmet all the way up only to leave it on your pack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I'm not 100% certain, but I do remember hearing tales of those lifts getting repurposed to be the original Chair 5 at Baker.... So if thats true they at least went to good use.

On another note, If I was to build a ski area in N.A. (clearly with someone else's funds) I'd do it up off of Cascade HWY as close to old Snowy as I could get. Thats where the mid winter convergence zone sets up the majority of the time, and I'd bet it gets a hell of a lot more snow than even Baker.... but what do I know. That being said the resort that was proposed before the last financial crash up on Cham just outside of Chilliwack BC had a ton of potential. I used to help maintain a private snowmobile accessed ski cabin up there, and it got every inch of snow Baker got... if not more with the cold frazer river air flow.
    Do you know if that area near Chilliwack sees a lot of skiers? I would guess so given the nearby Vancouver metro.

Also, maybe my geography is off, but isn't Old Snowy down south by Goat Rocks?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Add Lower Queen Anne to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That place is for single people in their 30s. Just FYI. If you fall in that category, it's a great place.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Agree with thejongiest. You want to live in Ballard/Fremont/wallingford area to have a nice community & access to bars (breweries). I personally wouldn’t want to live in Capitol Hill.

Where are you planning on skiing?
    Freelard. Good bike ride into downtown. Phinney ridge if you want a punisher of a climb on the way home

FYI, that better be a lucrative gig to live in any of those hoods.

Interesting history on Pilchuck. They wanted to expand. https://www.heraldnet.com/life/snows-of-pilchucks-past/

Seattle transplant here from the east. Decided to stop working in the ski industry, get a big boy job, and work for the weekends. Moving to seattle to work a job downtown and ski more than windcrust in tuckermans. I need a new place to call home. Looking for some recommendations for neighborhoods to live in with:

1) 30-45 min commute to SLU via bike or public transit
    2) a decent bar nearby so I can drink my job away and meet other ski industry rejects like me
    3) a direct/ish shot to the mountains (crystal, stevens) and the local bc. the less traffic the better

if you give me some stellar recommendations, I'll give ya a lukewarm PBR
    I did roughly this ten years ago - worth it! I'm in the Phinney/Greenwood area and it strikes a nice balance of having stuff you can walk to, but no scene, while also being a short drive from 99 and I-5. Note that if you are on the west side of Green Lake it sort of gets in the way when you are trying to get to 5. While some areas are a little better located for skiing (depending on your destination of choice) there are a lot of skiers here which makes it easier to find people to go with. Driving east/west can be slow, so I don't really recommend Ballard for highway access.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Do you know if that area near Chilliwack sees a lot of skiers? I would guess so given the nearby Vancouver metro.

Also, maybe my geography is off, but isn't Old Snowy down south by Goat Rocks?
    It doesn't see a ton, as its not the easiest to access without sleds. and I meant Glacier peak...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Freelard. Good bike ride into downtown. Phinney ridge if you want a punisher of a climb on the way home
    That climb is the only reason I’m in any kind of shape for ski season.

Meh... Lake City is where it's at

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Meh... Lake City is where it's at

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I’m a proud graduate of Cedar Park Elementary School, Jane Addams and Nathan Hale, grew up in Lake City
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Riblet Tramway View Post
    I still think the most untapped potential for a new ski area in WA exists up in the Selkirks near Metaline Falls
    Doubt that will ever happen as there isn't a population around to support, but that would make Metaline Falls one of the sickest little ski towns in the US. 40 minutes to Kootney Pass for backcountry (highest paved pass in Canada), 1 hour to Whitewater, and 1 hour 20 minutes to Red.

Nice day for a hike!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1632616891.507113.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	386644

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Doubt that will ever happen as there isn't a population around to support, but that would make Metaline Falls one of the sickest little ski towns in the US. 40 minutes to Kootney Pass for backcountry (highest paved pass in Canada), 1 hour to Whitewater, and 1 hour 20 minutes to Red.
    Has anyone here ever skied in the mountains on the US side near there? Something tells me people with sleds and skis just keep heading north.

All the good stuff in WA up there is in wilderness. The wilderness goes right to the Canadian and Idaho border. So long slogs in. If people ski it they are doing a good job of being quiet about it. Or you can cross into Canada and drive on a paved highway to 5,800 ft at Kooteney Pass.

All the good stuff in WA up there is in wilderness. The wilderness goes right to the Canadian and Idaho border. So long slogs in. If people ski it they are doing a good job of being quiet about it. Or you can cross into Canada and drive on a paved highway to 5,800 ft at Kooteney Pass.
    Summed up my thought there - at a certain point it’s just easier to travel farther for fast/easy access. Really it’s impressive that they keep that pass open year round!

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Agree with thejongiest. You want to live in Ballard/Fremont/wallingford area to have a nice community & access to bars (breweries). I personally wouldn’t want to live in Capitol Hill.

Where are you planning on skiing?
    hey goCougs. Planning to ski Crystal since it is on the ikon, but I still want a few days at Stevens and Baker. plus some BC days (I'd like almost 50/50 BC/resort). what is the scene like at the resorts?

anyone wana buy some land ? sounds like we can make it happen

hey goCougs. Planning to ski Crystal since it is on the ikon, but I still want a few days at Stevens and Baker. plus some BC days (I'd like almost 50/50 BC/resort). what is the scene like at the resorts?
    Resorts are… crowded. Maybe someone with a more optimistic outlook can chime in ha.

Hit me up if you are looking for a safety oriented touring partner!

what is the scene like at the resorts?
    Not resorty. Yet somehow more crowded than nearly all resorts. Kind of like a dive bar that has a line, compared to the crowded club scene of CO or UT. Also, you will think that you have stumbled onto a Subaru car club's meetup when you first arrive at Crystal.